Building a reptile facility and need advice! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
SnakeEyesExotics
Building a reptile facility and need advice!

We are starting construction on our new reptile facility today or tomorrow, and I am needing some advice on heating and cooling it. So far, we have considered combo heat/air units, swamp coolers (I think that's what they are called), oil filled radiator heaters, and heat pumps. Up front cost is not as important as overall savings on utility bills. So pretty much, what would be the most energy efficient option?

The building will be 20x28 and will be divided into two rooms: the main room (for snakes) will be 20x21, and the second room (for rodents) will be 20x7. There will be one window in the rodent room and two windows in the snake room. Each room will also have an exhaust fan.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Anya Hogan

Old 04-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Utta
I can't offer advice, but, good luck on your new facility Anya!

Old 04-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
SnakeEyesExotics
Thanks Tyler! I am excited about it, just really anxious at the same time. I will feel better when we get it finished and move everybody in. Then I might actually be able to sleep again!

Anya

Old 04-14-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
WingedWolf
We'll be looking at the same issue in a few years. Here's something I came across while researching heating options:
http://www.fanheatlight.com/

Old 04-14-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
snakewrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by russianbaby007 View Post
Up front cost is not as important as overall savings on utility bills.
If this is true, you should spend the money on a consulting mechanical engineer, specifically one with experience in LEED or energy-efficient design. It will go a lot further than any advice you might get on a reptile forum.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
snakewrangler
Quote:
If this is true, you should spend the money on a consulting mechanical engineer, specifically one with experience in LEED or energy-efficient design. It will go a lot further than any advice you might get on a reptile forum.

Even the location ans site orientation of the building will have an effect on the utility bills due to the varying shading and solar radiation.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
snakewrangler
Quote:

Even the location and site orientation of the building will have an effect on the utility bills due to the varying shading and solar radiation.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
snakewrangler
Sorry for the dupes, guess you can't even edit your own posts anymore...

Old 04-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
PAVLOVK1025
No clue. But good luck!

+1 for zee russian herpers lol.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
WingedWolf
snakewrangler is right about that, too--positioning of the building, shape of the building and insulation can have a huge impact. If you're converting an existing building, adding really GOOD insulation will save you a bundle in the long run.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!