HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Beardiefreak26
Unhappy HELPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

I have a 3 month old male bearded dragon when i got him he was 5 and 1/4 inches. I have had him for 5 weeks and he has stopped eating and is verrrry skinny. He is now 5 and 3/4 inches and stopped eating. he was being fed mealworms wax worms and pin head crix along with some mixed mustard and collard greens he is in a 10 gallon aquarium with repti carpet and the temps are 80 on the cool side 95 on the hot side and 100 for basking and has a uvb light PLEASE HELP MY BEARDIE

Old 09-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
shinezilla
Maybe the mealies did a number on him

Old 09-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
mmdragons
At that size he should only be on crickets and greens

Old 09-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
july08_2003
The best advice anyone can give you is take him to a vet ASAP! Those symptoms can be anything from MBD, to impaction or an infection or worms. From the sound of it you dont have time to waste on guessing what the problem is. Can definitely tell you for a dragon his age he's way behind growth wise. i have a 2 month old bearie that 6 1/2 inches, and 11 grams, and he is small for his age.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Sushi Dragons
Mealworms and tiny dragons are a recipe for disaster. They simply cannot digest all that chitin and it leads to impaction. I recommend the vet asap!!

In the meantime, try soaking the little one in a warm shallow bath for 5-10 minutes several times a day. If it is impaction, you might be able to help him pass the blockage.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #6
sagespyder@yahoo.com
I would say take him to a vet. If he is impacted you should be able to feel it, soaking in warm water may help, many reptiles will deficate in warm water. Put him on good greens, green leaf or red leaf and try less crickets at a time but larger, my dragons are 4 weeks old and are starting to eat 1/4 inch crickets now along with phoenix worms. My male beardie Duke will sometimes not eat unless I put crickets in a little at a time, otherwise he runs around like a maniac for about an hour before he starts eating the crickets. You mentioned lighting but nothing about dusting or anything. Stress can put him of eating as well, are you handling him often before or after eating? What is the lighting like? One problem I have seen is that the UV light is not strong enough for the lizard. One such case was a customer was using a 75 watt red heat bulb and a small UV light. The red bulb almost completely blocked out the light from the UV so it was "dark" all the time. This was a while ago so I can't recall everything completely. Anyways, I recommended that they switch to a ceramic with a thermostat so that the beardie could get the full UV spectrum. A few times at the pet store i worked at I had to assist feed a few beardies and snakes. However, this should only be done by an experienced breeder and only as a last resort if directed by a vet as this can cause a lot of stress on your beardie and might do more harm then good! Let us know what else about the set up that may help us help you and if your beardie is doing better.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
annmikeal
This may sound awful, but I have seen the mealworms chew out of the sides of baby beardies. I have a little one and he is really hard to get to eat, but he hasnt dropped any weight yet. Try the soaking and maybe even get his mouth open and set a piece of lettuce in his mouth, maybe he will just start to chew. Plus, I have noticed that oranges and reds seem to make them want to eat, maybe try some carrot or sweet potato Good Luck and keep us informed...

Old 10-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
Beardiefreak26
i soaked him and he drank a lot and he ate after word. Now he is doing fine and he did deficate in the water after he drank. And after he pooped i took him out of that water and put him in clean water

Old 10-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardiefreak26 View Post
i soaked him and he drank a lot and he ate after word. Now he is doing fine and he did deficate in the water after he drank. And after he pooped i took him out of that water and put him in clean water
How often does this dragon get food and water? Does it eat it greens?

But even after all that if the dragon is 5 3/4 inches at three months its VERY under sized and under weight.That is the size of a 3-4 week old baby. Either it was a weaker dragon or your over sized food has made it hard to grow properly. I wouldnt give it meal worms any more. and just stay with crickets and greens if he's eating them.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
Beardiefreak26
i am about to order some small phoenix worms and the mealies that were small and newly shed and soft for his digestion.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!