Bailey and clutchmate - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-21-2005, 02:58 AM   #1
StinaUIUC
Bailey and clutchmate

Alright...here's a couple pics of little Bailey after the first shed...I got the best shot I could of the top of his/her head to try to show the eyelid deformities. Bailey is doing pretty well for now...active and alert, no trouble shedding...now I just have to get him/her eating and stay concious of his/her quality of life. If I decide that Bailey doesn't have a good quality of life I will euthanize him/her...although I'm already pretty attached to the little cutey!
head/eyes:

full body...little man marking on back of neck...lol:

The clutchmate egg has not hatched yet and was pretty soft feeling when I got back from Iowa State today...which worried me...but it seems like it still might be ok. I tried to candle the egg (which is really difficult when they're covered in dirt...lol) and I **think** I saw movement...so hopefully he/she will be hatching within the next day or so...and hopefully will be completely normal...

Old 03-21-2005, 03:15 AM   #2
Manhattan Herps
feeling soft just means its close to hatching, its just thinning out so the baby can hatch with ease

Old 03-21-2005, 03:17 AM   #3
StinaUIUC
Thanks Dan...a couple people told me that during the chat earlier...but I was still worried and wanted to see what I could tell by candling....lol

Old 03-21-2005, 08:08 AM   #4
robin d.
srina, its eyelids dont look good at all and i am afraid he may very well have to be put down. i am sorry but things like this do happen when breeding any animal

Old 03-21-2005, 09:57 AM   #5
dragonflyreptiles
poor thing

Old 03-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
JSDeVaudry
actually

I've had a hatchling hatch out looking exactly like that almost two years ago, and he's still doing great to this day. His clutchmate hatched looking normal, and he was the only one out of all the babies that was deformed. I'm curious, though, as I can't really tell from the pics, can you see his eyes? Mine is apparently missing the top eyelids, but can still close/open his eyes, though he did keep them closed alot of the time as a baby. I have to hand feed him, as sometimes he can't see the preys well, unless it's silkworms.

But if you can keep him, I'd suggest not putting him down, unless you see that he's obviously suffering or not eating well at all. Mine took roughly two weeks before eating, and I was beginning to think of getting him euthanized until he chomped down on the cricket I was holding, and since then, he's been eating as much, if not more, than any of my other geckos.

Best of luck to you and the little guy/girl

Old 03-21-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
JSDeVaudry
ahem

Well I've just read the other thread, and found the full body pic, and yes mine looked exactly like him/her.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:08 PM   #8
JohnnyGecko
I have a sub adult from last year who has a simular if not identical eyelid deformity. She is doing great and can open and close her eyes just like any other gecko even tho the eyelids look so deformed. I am almost positive that this deformity was a result of temp fluctuations during incubation. However, she will not be bred just to be safe and will remain as a pet and may even go up for adoption soon. I can post a pic of her if you want. Hopefully your leo will turn out ok too.

Old 03-21-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
StinaUIUC
Robin...as I said I will keep a close eye on Bailey and if I decide he/she is suffering he/she will be euthanized...but for now Bailey seems to be doing just fine...I don't think he/she can close his/her eyes all the way...but they can be closed most of the way and he/she does not lick them incessently. To those of you with leos that have similar deformities...I would really appreciate it if you could post some pics!

Old 03-21-2005, 09:30 PM   #10
JohnnyGecko
I took a bunch of pics, I hope these show it well enough. It looks alot different when she blinks, kinda weird looking. Like I said before she sees fine, eats live crix, and doesn't seem to have any problems other than looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (91.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (95.5 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (101.3 KB, 90 views)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!