UPS sorting facilities - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
garweft
UPS sorting facilities

Thought this article was interesting and for some might shed some light on how their live animal shipments are handled.

My favorite part in the article was pointing out that your package is only touched by 2 hands at the major sorting facility.... Once off the plane and again to put it on another, everything else is completely automated.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-9974653-52.html

http://money.howstuffworks.com/ups.htm

Old 05-12-2010, 04:00 AM   #2
tinmantribe5
I almost just got a part time job Handling Special packages like Animals,Jewelry ETC..
I started think that I could not take that job because I would have nobody to blame when I screwed somethin up like a typical UPS Employee!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
Dawn Zimmerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinmantribe5 View Post
I almost just got a part time job Handling Special packages like Animals,Jewelry ETC..
I started think that I could not take that job because I would have nobody to blame when I screwed somethin up like a typical UPS Employee!

I can't even count the number of times the UPS folks didn't even bother to ring the door bell, like it's too difficult or something. One time they didn't ring the bell and left a note saying they were there and I was not... Then there were the gifts I received that were mysteriously opened... guess the person wasn't interested in the giant monarch butterfly flapping mobile my friend from Albany sent me for my birthday one year. Or my mom's rings she sent off from Walmart (she was the manager of jewelry) to be resized that disappeared in shipment with UPS, who btw, had no idea what could have happened to her parcel. Okay, rant over with!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
gillsandfins
I worked there for 10 years and I will not do business with that company. I worked in the building loading and sorting packages for 5 years then I became a delivery driver and did that for 5 years. It was the most corrupt company I have ever worked for. Their management is the scum of the earth. There's a few good ones don't get me wrong. I worked in the Omaha NE hub and there have been managers who were caught bringing their personal cars on the secure property and stealing packages. There were also others who were caught putting shipping labels on packages redirecting them to their own homes. When I worked there I wouldn't even ship through them.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
WingedWolf
Yeah, but it's naive to think that Fed Ex is actually better, and those things don't happen there, too.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
gillsandfins
I'm not saying fedex is better, or that it doesn't happen there. I just know first hand that it HAS happened at UPS. I do like UPS's service. They get things where they need to be on time almost all the time. I have personally never had a problem when someone has sent stuff to me via UPS. I just don't use them because I know how things are done there.

This is very similar. I have a friend who works for a local budweiser distribution company(beer delivery). He delivers to bars and restaurants. He has told me were not to eat because he sees the kitchens and how clean they are with the unseen areas of the facility. It's just the same with me and UPS. I have seen how it's done where most don't get to.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!