Dallas Quarles, Bangor Maine (SHADY!) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-06-2003, 09:24 PM   #1
Giantkeeper Reptiles
Stop! Dallas Quarles, Bangor Maine (SHADY!)

Several weeks ago I sold a female boa to Dallas. When he received her, he said he was less than satisfied with her (stated she had a small respitory problem...moucous, weazing, etc) and wanted a refund.

Being in a situation where we could not possibly refund the money AND pay to have her shipped back, we made a descision to refund the full amount, and let him keep the snake.

I spent a good amount of time the day before shipping checking out the boa and spending time with her (we raised her from a baby (over 2 years) ). Everything checked out fine! I however, did not feel the need to have any problems with a customer, so the descision was made to refund in full and allow him to keep the snake.

Here it is barely over two weeks later, and he is selling her http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=8&de=161624

I feel like I was taken advantage of, and I wanted to cue everyone in on this.

I COULD be way off base with this post, but I feel like I was scammed!

Take care,
Chris McAra
Giantkeeper Reptiles

Old 11-06-2003, 09:42 PM   #2
dqreps
Chris?

I just emailed you back. I think you should have talked to me first instead of trying to damage my reputation. Actually, i got the snake from you three weeks ago. I treated the animal with baytril and it has been more than fine for over a week and a half. I emailed you so i am not going to go on and on. You sent me an animal with a Upper Respitory infection and i told you i would keep it between us, no big deal, things get missed. I offered to send the snake back to you, i said i would send it back and you said No, keep it and you would take the loss. I said fine, i would treat the animal myself and go from there. As i told you, the animal was not on its death bed, it had a mild RI and i treated it. It is that simple. I have a right to do whatever i want with a healthy animal. Scammed? I was scammed but made no problems. I notified you immediatly and asked what you wanted to do and said that if you wanted to just take the sick animal back and give me a refund etc, that would be fine. You told me not to worry about it, you would just take a loss. Now it is my animal that i have treated and spent the money for baytril, vet etc and i cant do what i want with it not that it is recovered from over 3 weeks ago? I recieved on the 14th and started treatment on the 15, it has been over three weeks. Maybe you should have emailed me or called me before coming on here and making yourself look like a irresponsible business man.

Dallas Quarles Reptiles

Old 11-06-2003, 09:42 PM   #3
E2MacPets
Well it depends on if you think he bought it to resell and decided to increase his profit margin quite a bit by scamming you.... or if he is now knowingly selling a sick animal (or very very very recently recovered) and possibly scamming his customers.

Or just buyers remorse and an all out sleazeball for trying to make a profit as opposed to returning it to you...

Lots of options for why he could be a bad guy.... I'd like to here his side of the story before concluding anything though.

Old 11-06-2003, 09:48 PM   #4
bpc
I'd change shady to $hitty. 2-3 weeks and now the snake is good enough to sell. How much was the snake sold to Dallas for? And did you refund shipping as well? If so, and he has nothing in it other than a few shots of Baytril, then I think yall should at least split the $200.

Old 11-06-2003, 09:51 PM   #5
dqreps
You got a point....

I bought a bottle of baytril because i had none and took a trip to the vet. Chris, if splitting the $200 i may get for selling this animal will make you happy, i would be more than willing. This is hardly enough money to cause so much grief. Email me.

Dallas Quarles Reptiles

Old 11-06-2003, 09:52 PM   #6
E2MacPets
Whoops, that's what I get for typing my thoughts so quickly... I come across sounding like a jerk (which I am) instead of impartial...

I do feel that given how recently the animal was acquired, the original owner should have been given first shot at taking it back before it was put up for sale. However I do agree that the medical expenses need to be compensated for in some manner.

If you give someone a sick snake, it doesn't matter that you gave it to them for free- you are costing them money by placing it in their care and expecting them to treat it.

If Chris wants the snake back, I do feel he should be offered it in return for reimbursement of medical expenses on top of whatever shipping arrangements are to be made.

Otherwise if it is understood that the animal is now owned by Dallas, he does have the right to do with it as he pleases.

There, that was a bit more impartial, right?

Old 11-06-2003, 09:53 PM   #7
Giantkeeper Reptiles
I feel that the reselling of the animal, so soon, after the so called resp thing is an issue. I feel that she was not sick! I am definately not new to snakes. I feel there is a moral issue here. If she truly was sick, I will take 100% responsabilty for this.

I personally would also love to hear what Dallas has to say, outside of e-mails!

Old 11-06-2003, 10:01 PM   #8
dqreps
Two things....

Yes a snake can be treated successfully in a couple of weeks with baytril if treated properly, easily. IF the animal is in the very beginning stages. This is done easily before the RI gets a little more advanced.

Second, i will do whatever Chris would like to do to make him happy. I dont want him leaving here upset with me for no rightful reason. I offered the animal back before, right when i recieved it. And i am doing it again now. If you want it Chris, you can have it. I just want to be payed for the shipping and baytril etc. I offered to do this in the beginning but you refused. Your call.

Dallas Quarles

Old 11-06-2003, 10:07 PM   #9
Giantkeeper Reptiles
Dallas,

This post was for a warning only!

You said she was sick, immediatly upon arrival, you asked for a refund, and offered to ship her back. You did all of this the way it should be done.

Now, on my side, I feel she was not sick, I was not financially in a position to pay to have her shipped back. Yes, I gave her to you. All of these things are stated correctly!

What I want, is not half the money! I want you to do the right thing (if actually she was sick) and take her off the market until you KNOW without a doubt she is 100% percent! That's what I want!

Old 11-06-2003, 10:14 PM   #10
Winter
Vet Visit

Is there a possibility that we could see documentation from the vet's office showing the date that the animal was taken in, the diagnosis, and what treatment was prescribed?

That should clear quite a bit up and allow for fair discussion between both parties.

Regards,

Lauren Rost

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!