Shipping confusion - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
Nefarious03
Shipping confusion

I was curious what shipping services are typically used? I thought it was Next Day, Overnight, or 2nd day but when looking into it I am finding really high prices.

I am in Ohio, and I just did from me to Cali, and on both FedEx and UPS its showing over 100$ for overnight.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:52 AM   #2
hhmoore
Welcome to the world of fuel surcharges & dimensional weights. Shipping has increased significantly, and that price is not at all surprising.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:05 AM   #3
hhmoore
The standard options are UPS Next Day or FedEd Priority Overnight. The bigger the box, the more it costs...which is why most people try to use the smallest box that will safely contain a given shipment.
For large, heavy boxes it may be cheaper to use the airlines. Delta cargo is cheap, but not the best option, IMO - especially in HOT or COLD weather - because the arrival time is not guaranteed. Cargo shipments are not "priority", and get bumped for any number of reasons (or at least they used to...I haven't utilized this service in over 10yrs). Delta Dash requires the shipper to be "recognized", and the process takes a couple of weeks. Then again, FedEx also requires a waiver to ship live reptiles & UPS doesn't ship snakes for the common folk.
If both the origin and destination airports have by Northwest Airlines, and the flights can be worked out, they will ship reptiles. Their service is similar to Delta Dash, without the need to become recognized in advance...and the cost should be fairly similar.

Depending on what you are shipping, it may benefit you to check out Reptster (see other threads for details).

Old 07-10-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
Nefarious03
I see, but if thats a common shipping cost, then how do so many breeders charge a flat rate of $50 for shipping?

I had glanced at Repster a little last night, but didn't find rates anywhere. I'll be looking into it more after I get home from work.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
hhmoore
Good discounts, for one. Small boxes, for another. Sometimes, its just a case of eating the loss on some shipments & hoping it all equals out. Shipping costs are going up, and in some cases can be the difference between selling an animal vs losing that sale to somebody closer or with more competitive rates.
Depending on the size box, and weight, it can cost me anywhere from $55 to well over $100 from NY to Cali via FedEx. Judging from a your post, I'm guessing that you don't have the waiver for FedEx. I don't know what you are shipping, just be aware that intentionally mislabeling the contents of a live animal shipment is a violation of Federal law (regardless of carrier).

Old 07-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious03
I see, but if thats a common shipping cost, then how do so many breeders charge a flat rate of $50 for shipping?
Some breeders are big enough that they get volume discounts or have negotiated contracts with discount pricing. If you ship a couple hundred or more overnight packages a year, you have the power to negotiate for better pricing with the shipping companies. A smaller breeder who only ships 20 or 30 packages a year is stuck with the common shipping rates.

Also, some breeders big and small just eat the amount over $50 as part of doing business. They figure most packages are going to cost close to $50 and are willing to pay the rest out of there own pocket. Or they charge $25 more for the animal to cover the cost of shipping over $50.

There are many ways and many reasons that people charge a flat shipping rate. Some are sound business moves, some aint.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Nefarious03
No, I'm not certified.

I don't have anything that I need to ship out right now, I was basically checking for the future.. I wouldn't mislabel it for two reasons. One, as you said its against the law. Two, I would rather have it labeled as a live animal because I would assume they would handle it with a little more care.

And I suppose the flat rate does seem logical, I played around with box sizes, and I were to use say a 6x6x4 (or 6x6x6) it does drop to about 50-58$.

Thanks for the info guys,
-Brad

Old 07-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
hhmoore
When you look at box sizes, don't forget you will be subtracting at least an inch from those numbers for interior dimensions (assuming 1/2 insulation, and allowing for box thickness). A 6x6x4 box becomes just under 5x5x3. If you need to utilize heat or cool packs, you'll also need to consider proximity of those devices to the animals.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
Nefarious03
Ya, the contain that I would be using for them would be 4.5" in Diameter and right at 2" high. I was looking at 5x5x4 boxs before I measured my container, then I found 6x6x4 on the staples website. I figure I could use the 6x6x4 for a single reptile, and a 6x6x6 for two.

Thanks again hhmoore and Sharp, you guys were very helpful, I greatly appreciate it.

-Brad

Old 07-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #10
ToshaMc
Reptster does have a nice volume discount -- although I am certified I don't ship in huge quantities so I do save shipping through them. My only concern is that in the past I've had Fedex not accept my package but have always been able to provide my waiver so have to accept it -- I can't do that using Reptster's account.

As for pricing -- I am eating shipping charges on most of my stuff this year -- by not charging shipping charges I can offer a better deal to customers, I won't have to declare the added income and in the long run I'll make it back with the tax write off. Win, win, win I guess.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!