Central American BCI questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-16-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
TrpnBils
Central American BCI questions

I got a new boa recently, ~2ft long and it was in somewhat bad shape but (s)he's doing better now. I've had a few people tell me that it looks like a CA boa....and they seem surprised that it's not trying to bite my face off at every opportunity.

In general, how do CAs differ from Colombians? As I understand it, they're darker (which this one is), they average only about 5', and they tend to be nastier. Anything else, and should I expect it to get nippy as it gets older or are the juvies usually worse than adults?

Old 12-16-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
Junkyard
It is tough to actually pinpoint the locality of Central American Boas, the reason is there are so many subspecies. http://www.boa-constrictors.com/com/com.html is a great place to look for locality and more specifics on these boas.

As far as temper, most Central Boas are wild caught, give your boa time and it will come around. I have a 5 foot wild Surinam, it took a long time, about 10 months, but she has finally settled. I would not expect it to be nasty for too long. They are beautiful and one to have for any collection.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:53 PM   #3
TrpnBils
actually it's completely calm, which surprised everybody that's asked me about it. I just wondered if I should expect it to get mean as it gets older

Old 12-17-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
Junkyard
No, I would not expect your snake to go wild on you. As with any snake, once they tame down and are comfortable around you they will be good. Do you have any pics you can post? I would love to see it.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
TrpnBils
All I have are the ones from the day it (I think it's a he) came home and they suck because he's all dehydrated and just about to shed. The skin on his neck is so loose it looked like a frilled lizard without legs.

Speaking of dehydration, I know liver damage can occur if it's severe. Any way other than time and/or bloodwork to tell if there's any permenant damage?

I'll get some pics tonight though, I've been wanting to get some more but I haven't been home enough. I'll put them up!

Old 12-17-2005, 11:13 PM   #6
TrpnBils
Okay here's a few pics....I know tail length isn't real reliable, but does anyone wanna take a stab at sexing it that way? I know nothing about the history or genetics of this snake. All I know is that somebody owed somebody money so instead they gave them this snake. It ended up in a pawn shop in pretty bad shape, and I got it for about $30 or so. The guy told me they had fed it pieces of donuts (and the "vet" said that was okay to do....the vet also said that the loose skin meant it was shedding, and that it was "healthier than you or I will ever be")

Before (the day I got him), notice the loose skin.

After (after mites, rehydration, and a cleared up RI)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!