Make sure you get the right picture! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 06-01-2003, 10:42 AM   #1
The BoidSmith
Make sure you get the right picture!

A while ago we were discussing about how on internet sales pictures of the actual animal for sale are a must, particularly when dealing with expensive species/morphs. I was reading an ad lately where the seller ended with something like..."And don't ask for pictures because there are none available"...An immediate turn-off, at least from my perspective.

There is another scenario that internet buyers need to be aware of. The use of generic pictures (that do not belong to the animal offered for sale) and, what is even worse, the use of pictures that belong to someone else. In the first case the seller picks-up the best shot of one of the best animals ever, and use it as an advertisement tool. In my opinion those are worth nothing. What is the seller trying to portray? If the purpose is to show potential buyers what the species looks like then yes, he has accomplished the objective. But [b]in general[B/] most potential internet buyers have seen at least a picture of the species they are after.

When sellers use pictures that belong to someone else there are two possible scenarios I can think of. One is what I mentioned in the previous paragraph, the need to portray a nice example of the species in question. Although the motive is not dishonest the means to accomplish may very well be, as those pictures belong to someone else. If you are going to use them, make sure you reference the source. The other scenario is when the picture is several months old and the animal status has significantly changed since then. The only way to try to avoid this situation is to ask for recent pictures of the animal. Ask the seller to post something unusual by the animal (maybe even a piece of paper with your first name written on it). By doing so you are assured that the picture is current.

Did I leave anything out?

Regards.

Old 06-05-2003, 11:59 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
There's got to be another way!

It's like ..."shoot first, ask later"...

Posted today in an ad:

Quote:
Photos will be provided of the three het males that can be chosen from along with the 30 poss het females that are available when payment is received.
The seller, a reputable breeder, is asking for people to first send the money, and he in turn will provide pictures from where one could choose the animals from. One might argue all heteros look alike, what's important is in the genes, etc. The ulterior motives though are possibly to avoid picture collectors. It would be unreasonable to expect him to post pictures of the 30 normal looking possibles, but at least those of the 100% hetero males. In my opinion he might discourage potential clients.

Regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!