Puffy throat? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
Nagini
Puffy throat?

I was in a local pet store, and was of course looking at the reptiles. There was one in the tanks, a 07 baby redtail that had her throat all puffed out. Any idea what could cause that? It didnt look like it was stressed or in pain, but it just looked strange

Old 07-05-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Hm, a puffy throat probably is going to indicate an upper respiratory type of problem, distress or infection. Or, did you notice what type of substrate he was on? If he was on pine or cedar, those can become toxic & cause fatalities. It can cause anaphylactic type of shock or poisoning from the resins after they heat up in the enclosure.
They most likely do not have him warm enough, especially in a petstore.
Why are you considering purchasing him?
He needs vet attention.

Tracie

Old 07-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Nagini
I would purchase him but they're asking way to much for him/her. I think it was on that forest floor bedding. I'll have to go back and talk to them. I did hod it and didnt see any immediate signs of RI like bubbles around the mouth but that doesnt mean its not there.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache613
Hello,

Hm, a puffy throat probably is going to indicate an upper respiratory type of problem, distress or infection.
I agree. Try to inspect her mouth also, there's is a possibility for it to be secondary to mouth rot; the caseous material sometimes collects in that area. One way or the other she would be better in your care.

Good luck

Old 07-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Nagini
If I had an extra $160 laying around I'd buy it, but the pet store is over priced for they're boas and pythons. I'm going to head over there again and see if i can atleast get them to take it to a vet or adopt it out

Old 07-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

That is so generous of you! Let us know how he is doing when you bring him home. I hope he fares well. You do have a vet around right?
I agree it would be better with you though, if you can manage it.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!