Hypo-Calcemia - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #1
Humbaba
Hypo-Calcemia

Hi there--

I'm new to this site and to Leopard Geckos. I work at a pet supply store and have adopted two LGs. One is healthy but was unsellable for aesthetic reasons. During shipment he lost some of his tail. He's healthy, eating well, and I'm supplementing his diet well.

The second one was owner surrendered to us in very bad shape. He was thin, pale, and was hypo-calcemic to the point of having a floppy jaw and deformed forelegs. Two visits to a herp vet and intensive care later, I'm stabilizing him with pedialyte-reptivite shooters and am tong feeding very small (3-day) crickets.

I have two questions, if someone will indulge me.

1-- What is the best source of vitamin D that I can feed? I've been assured by people that reptivite has d3 in it, but does it go by a different name? I can't locate it on the ingredient label.

2--How do I prevent hyper-calcemia from all this supplementation? Is there a risk of that? Also, will he ever have structurally sound forelegs again, or will they be Gumby-ed forever? :-(

If anyone can help me, that will be great. I just want to make sure I do right by little Enkidu.

Old 09-16-2006, 04:33 AM   #2
LadyGecko
I have not ever read of hyper-calcemia in Leos
I would worry more about the possibility of over dosage of vit D
Unfortunately once their limbs are deformed by MBD-they never return to their previous state but i do have a Leo that i got as a very young baby with some others in a "package deal" that arrived with mbd and although he has bent forelegs and a slightly twisted spine he can get around as well as any other Leo and he can even climb and I have had him for going on 2 years now and as he is housed alone as most of my Leos are there is no competition for food with a more normally limbed Leo
Did your vet give you a supplement to administer after seeing him?
I would continue to follow his/her instructions and use all of any supplements that he has given you for this Leo
I use pure calcium for my Leos as i feel there is plenty of vit d in their multi-vitamin
Good Luck with him
Sandy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!