Clutch #3 . . . She didn’t read the book! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
preacher
Clutch #3 . . . She didn’t read the book!

Looky what I found. The Momma to these pearlies shed on 5-1-12. Now I did not see her ovulate but after the beginning of March I begin to write their shed dates on the front of their tubs just in case. Well I opened the tub this morning and . . . surprise, surprise, surprise! Looky what I can do! And she was none too happy about being found out either, as I lifted the hide off her she tried to bit me. That’s when I found out she can’t read. The book says 25-30 days after post ov shed they lay their eggs not 17.

That was at 8:30 AM and she had laid two good eggs and the slug, seeing she was not done I closed her up and let her go until 7:00 PM and she gave us two more good eggs. I am really happy as this is a 100% het to het albino first time clutch for both parents and I hope they prove out. Fortunately, I am expecting several clutches in the next few days and weeks so I had several egg tubs ready and now they’s a cookin!

I am really glad she did not have any more in there. She started fasting almost seven weeks ago at 1381 grams, and is now 891 grams. The total clutch weight was 443 grams. I have a 66% het pied girl right now at 1229 grams and was thinking of putting a 100% het pied male with her but I am going to wait a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0001.JPG (56.8 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0003.JPG (52.2 KB, 183 views)

Old 05-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
Matt2979
Congrats, Preacher!! I also had a silly first-timer that failed to read the book. But mine went the other way, making me wait over an extra week before laying. I hope you get at least 2 albinos in those eggs. Good luck!!

Old 05-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Robert Walker
Congrats Richard! Eggs are always a fun thing. It looks like you are doing a no substrate set up? Light crates and water only??

Old 05-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
crookedantler
We bought a female this year that she'd 4-4,ate rats on 4-4,4-7 and 4-10(she seemed very hungry so I offered her as much as she wanted)then wouldn't eat and layer a clutch on 4-26! We didn't even know she had eggs,lol.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
preacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
Congrats, Preacher!! I also had a silly first-timer that failed to read the book. But mine went the other way, making me wait over an extra week before laying. I hope you get at least 2 albinos in those eggs. Good luck!!
Thanks Matt,
I hope your MOJO is in those eggs for you and with your good fortune in mine as well! By the way, your dinker mom is really nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetsnowboa View Post
Congrats Richard! Eggs are always a fun thing. It looks like you are doing a no substrate set up? Light crates and water only??
Robert,
I was egg-specting them just not so soon! Yes, I really like the substrateless incubating, the babies and the whole process is much cleaner and humidity is never a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedantler View Post
We bought a female this year that she'd 4-4,ate rats on 4-4,4-7 and 4-10(she seemed very hungry so I offered her as much as she wanted)then wouldn't eat and layer a clutch on 4-26! We didn't even know she had eggs,lol.
D&A,
Wow! Hopefully you were able to get them incubating or are you letting mom do the job. I was fortunate we were at least expecting other clutches and even hers just not so early.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
crookedantler
Yeah,had the incubator going for the Lesser X Pastel clutch already,just had to mix up the vermiculite and in the incubator they went!

Old 05-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #7
CaseyWagner
Congrats Richard! Hope you hit the odds!

Old 05-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Bob O'Brien
Congrats and good luck with them.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #9
preacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyWagner View Post
Congrats Richard! Hope you hit the odds!
Hey Casey!!
Good to hear from you! The male to this breeding is the first clutch produced by the male I got from you in 2010. And the female is the smaller of the three sub adults from you as well. She turned out to be a picky mouser and is now three years old and laid her first clutch. Don't forget my promise if she proves out one is yours!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O'Brien View Post
Congrats and good luck with them.
Thanks Bob. I have my fingers crossed. I am planning on using the visuals toward a albino pied project and am breeding several het to het for visuals. I will begin breeding the visuals together once I have a good genetic base.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
CaseyWagner
Hey Richard,
It is wonderful to see you are having success with your collection. I am currently building back up some of my collection that i had. I kinda forgot about that promise, until you said something. I currently have no albinos in my collection and would absolutely love to add one of your babies into the mix. take care.
p.s. if you ever want to talk snakes here is my email thedude1113@gmail.com and i will send ya my number.
casey

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!