Does anyone else miss their snakes? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Riyeko
Does anyone else miss their snakes?

So, my landlord has this severe fear of snakes.

No she doesnt think theyre slimy or anything, she just has a fear of them.

Which I can relate to.
I have a severe phobia of bees/wasps.. etc.
I run and scream like one of those idiot women in a horror film when one even gets within 10 feet of me. Its ridiculous.

Anyway, so we had an inspection coming up for our apartment and she asked us to remove the snakes so she didnt freak out.
No problem.
I understand and dont have a problem with removing them for a few days while she gets her things together.

Anyway, they are at my husbands brothers place, and though I visit them everyday... i miss them badly.

I miss my pissy snake, adam and i miss my pretty snake eve, and I feel so worried that theyre lonely or something while theyre sitting over there at the house.

Does anyone else feel like this sometimes?
Do you just feel that you NEED to hold them or have them close to you (aka under the same roof) if they end up having to be held by someone else for a while?

I feel weird saying that I miss my snakes because they dont give you the type of emotional return like a dog or cat!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
JCCS
I've read your posts in the past, and it appears that I get to use one of my favorite words here. You like to anthropomorphize your boas. You think that they have the same set of emotions and thoughts as a human. This is as far from the truth as it can get.

I love my boa collection, I have specific favorites in it as well. I don't think for a second that any one of them knows me, cares a bit about me or even thinks about me if I'm not in the room. Snakes are extremely instinctual creatures, and as much as I love them, aren't capable of higher thought.

I can't say I miss my boas if I'm away as a trip, I do worry about them as I don't trust anyone as much as myself to care for them, but I don't miss them as emotional attachments. I miss my dog that way, he recognizes me apart from other people when I come home. Luckily, he isn't one that freaks when I leave.

Chris

Old 10-19-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Helenthereef
I miss handling them - I get the urge to pick up a snake and they aren't there.....

Old 10-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
edf01
When I was moving, the snakes were the one of the last things to go. We spent the night in the new place and the snakes stayed behind ( we were only 5 min away) Let me tell you, I was so uncomfortable to the point of not sleeping good because my snakes were not in the same house. Yes, they have no attachment for me ( except for feeding day- i swear they know its me bringing in food lol j/k) or feel the same way- when i miss my cat its a bit different- i miss her interactions with me, but with the snakes, i just simply miss them.

It wasnt worry of their care and such- because when I went to vegas for a week, that was worry over their care. I guess I couildnt stand not being on vacation and them not being in the same house.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
WebSlave
Yeah, sometimes I miss them.....

Old 10-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
Riyeko
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
You think that they have the same set of emotions and thoughts as a human. This is as far from the truth as it can get.

I don't think for a second that any one of them knows me, cares a bit about me or even thinks about me if I'm not in the room.
How can that be?

I know for a fact that my biggest boa, Adam, loves to be handled by me and me only, and when someone else handles him, he acts more "freaked out" and seems to want to get away more.
When I handle him he chills on my arm and looks around, but he never tries to get down or go somewhere like the couch or the floor.

Plus, my cornsnake Avery tends to have preferences when shes handled as well. She would rather be held by my husband than me or anyone else, as she usually ends up getting the ... "crawl through each hand repeatedly".. thing going unless hubby has got her. Then she just kind of curls up in his hands and just sits there, poking her face out.

I do believe that ALL animals have "higher thought" processes and feelings. Theres no way that they cant.
Sure they might have more, instinctual thought, but im pretty sure when I talk to my snakes (and my hot breath gently .... (looking for a more appropriate word than graces or blows)...) ... they know that im telling them something even though they can understand.

Its like my rats responding to the sound of my voice specifically, since im the main care taker.
They know when I walk in a room, and they respond to it by coming to the tops of their cages, or climbing around on them more excitedly.

And whoever said that animals like dogs and cats, cant understand english is.. well full of shit if you pardon the expression.
I damn well know my cat Jones understands when im telling him to get off the damn couch or get off the bed, or quit being an ass lol.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Shadera
Quote:
Does anyone else miss their snakes?
More than I miss most people.

A snake is at least, always a snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!