OMG - my wife is holding a snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
hhmoore
OMG - my wife is holding a snake

She has gone from disliking and being repulsed by them when we met (but not letting me get rid of them - thank you, baby), to being curious, to touching one...now she has named (read - claimed) Molly, a young albino boa. sSe doesn't take Molly out by herself, and she still gets nervous...but she has still been handling her. (she has expressed regrets that Molly "is going to grow up and get all big, and she won't be cute anymore")

Old 05-09-2005, 10:23 PM   #2
gmherps
Congrats to another herp addict!!!

Old 05-09-2005, 11:05 PM   #3
snakewrangler89
haha sounds like my girlfriend...When i first talked about snakes she said i would have to get rid of all of them...but the other day she saw my new hypo boa and helped me name it AND she even touched it...I was amazed...I will continue working with her until i get her to hold it on her own.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:22 PM   #4
raiquee
Hehe, luckily my boyfriend doesn't have that problem! He showed me snakes and i was like "oh cool!" and accidently fell asleep with one of our ball pythons while watching tv We now have 43...not huge compaired to some people, but more than the average person

Old 05-09-2005, 11:31 PM   #5
Wilomn
Guys let me offer a word of caution.

Once your signifigant other starts to "light up" at the sight of snakes, your life is OVER.

NO more getting to choose all by yourself what YOUR next snake will be. No more going into the snake room for a peaceful minute or two because you KNOW you'll be alone in there. No more dreams of what YOU want to get next.

Nope, nope, nope..... ALL over.

NOW, you have to collaborate. NOW you have to clear what you get with what your S.O. wants. NOW you have to share YOUR space.

AHAHAHahahahahahAHAHHaha

Of course, if it REALLY works out, it will be VERY cool.All of the above was meant as humor. I've had it go both ways, women that liked my scaley friends and women that wanted NOTHING to do with them but tolerated my habit.

Best of luck to all of you.

Still though, do ya REALLY want to share?

Old 05-10-2005, 01:47 AM   #6
hhmoore
It'll never come to that Wes <crosses fingers and whispers a silent prayer>. The main attractions to Molly are that she she is small and slow moving (and looks pretty), and that she is not locked away in my room (so she can be seen easily). anything over 3 ft or fast intimidates her. my wife is great: she never says I can't buy something (well, there was that banded egyptian cobra...but she would've caved if I pushed the issue). In fact, once she knows I like/want it, she encourages me - even if I am saying that I shouldn't.
surprisingly, her second favorite snake is my 8' female yellow anaconda. I think that is for the same reason - she is in the main part of the house, therefore easily seen. I would move the womas out, but then she would know how many there are,

Old 05-10-2005, 01:47 AM   #7
Otter_23
On top of it all of your reptiles will end up with less than masculine names. You will have to start preparing her a couple months ahead of time before you actually try to sell one (they want to keep them all and can't believe you would be willing to get rid of any). They will also claim ownership of every new one you get until the time comes for cleaning, feeding etc...

In all fairness though my wife is starting to help feed geckos but hasn't been able to bring herself to feeding the snakes yet.
Mark

Old 05-10-2005, 01:53 AM   #8
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
It'll never come to that Wes <crosses fingers and whispers a silent prayer>. The main attractions to Molly are that she she is small and slow moving (and looks pretty), and that she is not locked away in my room (so she can be seen easily). anything over 3 ft or fast intimidates her. my wife is great: she never says I can't buy something (well, there was that banded egyptian cobra...but she would've caved if I pushed the issue). In fact, once she knows I like/want it, she encourages me - even if I am saying that I shouldn't.
surprisingly, her second favorite snake is my 8' female yellow anaconda. I think that is for the same reason - she is in the main part of the house, therefore easily seen. I would move the womas out, but then she would know how many there are,
Let's see. Baby season is just around the corner. There are doubtless birthdays and anniversaries and othre "special" occasions soon to occur.......update me by the end of August guys. LOL

Old 05-10-2005, 02:26 AM   #9
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilomn
Let's see. Baby season is just around the corner. There are doubtless birthdays and anniversaries and othre "special" occasions soon to occur.......update me by the end of August guys. LOL
not sure what you mean about the birthdays and other occasions, Wes. Baby season has started - she doesn't like them...they move too fast

Old 05-10-2005, 02:52 AM   #10
Wilomn
I was referring to the fact that now she'll be wanting little slithers for those specail occasions.

It's cool that you guys have lucked out, it is fun to share with a friend.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!