Deciding on first breeding project - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
blyndsnypr
Deciding on first breeding project

Now, I'm sure there are several threads like this but I want to ask for myself

I've owned reptiles for the last 8 years, minus the 1.5 that i've lived in Hawaii, and I would like to try my hand at breeding
Think I would like to go with snakes because they are just amazing creatures!

now I have had corn snakes, a milk snake, ball pythons and many red tails
people have said you should breed a species you like so in case you cant sell them all then you wont mind keeping some

also not here for profit but a little wouldn't be too bad haha
this is for the experience of bring many magnificent creatures into being (:

My favorite and longest kept species was the Colombian red tails but dont know if it will be the smartest idea to breed such a large species because my friend and I are buying a condo and hes not the biggest fan of snakes so might need to go with balls or corns. that being said any suggestions on morphs for either corns, balls or red tails? and this wont be happening for a while so I will be saving up a lot to get good snakes and to make sure they are kept in great health!

so obviously any tips are appreciated but please don't comment just to say I don't have experience or anything like that

Old 08-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
radera5
Balls of course. As far as what morphs.....take YOUR pick. Breed a morph/morphs that YOU like to see.

Back to your idea of breeding something you like in case it doesn't sell right away.....it would be a bummer to have a clutch of really dark morphed babies when YOU like lighter morphs. (Example)

For me personally, I love all the morphs. I like some more than others and have my favorites BUT, I would happily keep ANY ball morphs

If you are looking for something reasonably priced to start maybe look into a Pastel, and a Spider--make some Bee's. Something like that is cheap enough to start with and you will still end up with the chance to produce an awesome morph!

Good luck in whatever you decide!
--Amanda

Old 08-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
FosterHerpetological
I don't know if I would automatically say ball pythons. Everyone and their brother os breeding them right now, same goes for corn snakes, they are everywhere.

But I would say either ball or corns. In my experience, corns are easier to breed, corns are easier when it comes to getting the babies to feed, and corns have bigger clutches. Balls typically sell for much higher prices, but also buying rats over mice might even that out.

If you are just doing it for you I would say corns all around. But if you have a little bit more to invest and are looking more towards the selling aspect, go for balls.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
blyndsnypr
Thanks for the info Amanda! (:

So you like ball pythons? Aha.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
blyndsnypr
What about kings?

Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
FosterHerpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by blyndsnypr View Post
What about kings?
Kings are very easy to breed as well. The only thing would be during breeding season Ive heard that you dont keep the male and female together as long, just to make sure that they dont eat each other.

Kings are also very variable. You could breed two banded black and white cali's together and get tons of different kinds of babies. Bandeds, abberants, some striping, etc.

Any of them would be a good choice

Old 08-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
Shadera
Very first thing I would do would be to sit down with the friend and have a serious discussion about what he'd be okay with and what he won't be okay with. If you're buying something together, he's got a right to feel comfortable there. It'd kinda suck to go spend a few grand on animals then find out the roomie is skipping town when they see your creepy crawlies, leaving you to pay the bills on your own.

But definitely go with what you like most, not what everyone else likes. This particular forum tends to be ball python heavy, and another might lean more toward corns or another species. If you've got plenty of time, look at everything out there. Go for what you love looking at, and you'll always be smiling while you scoop those mountains of crap.

I'm a ball gal myself, but have a few others I like too. You say you like boas, have you given any thought to the smaller ones? Some of the insular and central american morphs are quite nice.

Good luck.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
hhmoore
Are you staying in Hawaii?
If so, I think you're SOL in the snake discussion.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #9
blyndsnypr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
Very first thing I would do would be to sit down with the friend and have a serious discussion about what he'd be okay with and what he won't be okay with. If you're buying something together, he's got a right to feel comfortable there. It'd kinda suck to go spend a few grand on animals then find out the roomie is skipping town when they see your creepy crawlies, leaving you to pay the bills on your own.

Oh no, he knows I love reptiles and is aware that I wish to keep and breed them in the condo. He said "as long as you can afford them and the bills then I dont care what you do" that being said, i dont wish to push it so i'm just deciding nothing big. too bad my favorite snakes are red tails ><

goodness no, I'm not staying here. only reason i started this thread is because I'm leaving the island on the 24th (:
had to sell my babies when i moved here too, so cant wait start my collection again!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #10
blyndsnypr
Been in Hawaii for about 2 years now, so I'm kinda out of the loop on reptiles haha
Think I might want to try my hand with some Kings
Always been drawn to them too

So along with two banded black and white cali's what are some other attractive morphs?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!