Foggy tubs??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
Jonas@Balls2TheWall
Foggy tubs???

At least once a day I see the walls of the tubs were I keep my snakes completely fogged up. Can too much humidity be a problem? I have several hole in the tubs to add circulation but not too many for the humidity to escape. Any ideas?

Old 09-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #2
chamgirl99471
Too much humidity may cause scale rot so be careful... what kind of substrate do you use? Is there anyway that you can get the air in the room circulating? Possibly a fan or something? I'm no expert by any means so my suggestion may be WAY Off but if the tubs are heated underneath and a constant temp a fan may be your answer.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Jonas@Balls2TheWall
I'm not sure how accurate my hygrometer is but its reading at 97% humidity. I'm using coco shavings as substrate. I will try a fan out and see how that helps. Thanks for the reply...

Old 09-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Utta
97% is really high. Your hygro is either off, or you have huge water bowls they they spill a lot out of.

How often is this occurring? If its just for 10-30 min I think you'll be ok.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
dturner100
There could be more reasons for the condensation on the tub walls. The humidity can be to high, or there could be a point in the day when the temps outside the tub drop.

As well 97% is way too high, but ball pythons can handle more humidity than most believe. I mist all of my ball pythons ( 125+ ) at least once a day and have a room humidifier. I've never had a case of any bacteria growth ( scale rot ), as well haven't had a bad shed in a LONG time.

My recommendation would be to drill a couple more holes in the tub, and make sure the room temperature doesn't fluctuate too much but don't dry them out too much.

**Though bp's live in the deserts of Africa they enjoy humid burrows, and termite mounds that are basically damp mud.**

Old 09-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #6
deborahbroadus
From my own research and experience, scale rot is caused by lack of hygiene and lying on wet substrate (damp, dirty substrate). I am in the camp of those that do not consider high humidity a cause of many if any physical illnesses in BPs.

My tubs get foggy, they have been getting foggy for going on 6 years now, I usually simply check that the substrate is not wet and wipe the sides of the tub.

The only time I leave them along with foggy tubs and wet substrate is when they are in the process of shedding; they get clean tubs immediately afterwards.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
chamgirl99471
Thanks Debbie for clearing that up... I've never had a case of scale rot... that's what someone told me at one point in time.. Now I know better..LOL.. As far as High humidity... mine stays quite high throughout the day.. I mist at least once a day and when they are in shed... I offer a larger water bowl and two mistings a day. I also keep mine on Newspaper.

I guess as long as you keep the bedding moist and clean your ball pythons should be OK.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Jonas@Balls2TheWall
I will drill a couple more holes as I dont think that there is enough. The substrate is dry and my bp's act very healthy and have perfect sheds.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
cahrens
I wouldn't drill too many holes because then you won't be able to keep the humidity high enough in the tubs. What's the humidity in the room they're in? I'd agree that the condensation is more likely from a change in temps. 97% doesn't sound right if the substrate is still dry. That's more like "spilled the water bowl" humidity. Are you using belly heat on them? Is their water bowl directly on top of the heat source?

Old 09-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #10
Jonas@Balls2TheWall
They have belly heat only. They are in the hottest part of my house my house gets about 74 degrees at night. They have pretty big water tubs but I only fill them half way to avoid spilling. The belly heat and water are on opposite sides of the enclosure. The hygrometer is reading 88 now. THere is no spilled water but the coco shavings do feel moist. I would say the humidity in the house is around 40 or 50 %

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!