Ratforums - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
shelliebear
Ratforums

....I posted a topic there about how snake owners can love rats too. (I had a pet one, she was the sweetest thing ever. I LOVE RATS AND MICE.)
I said how if snakes would eat something else, I'd feed it to them, and if mice ate snakes, I'd feed them snakes.
I want animals to survive and be happy, but they have to eat what they have to eat.
My topic was removed and I was banned (without being given a reason).
I'm really upset. Do they think that I have no regard for life and its meaning?
In the wild mice get eaten all the time. No one c02's them first so they don't suffer as much. It's BRUTAL.
I at least TRY to make it humane for the rodents I use as feeders.
And separately I have some as pets, because they make amazing pets. They are sweet, they are cuddly, they are awesome.
I'm sorry that nature is the way it is, ratforums.
I'm sorry that I tried to let you all know that not everyone is as horrible and closeminded as you think, that someone can love different types of animals.
You are all missing out on how people really are, and for that, I'm especially sorry.
...if mice or rats ate live food, as I said before, I'd feed it to them--and where would you all be? Would you honestly not own a rat as a pet because it eats meat?
Grow up. They have to eat.
People eat meat. I bet most of the people on the ratforum eat meat.
Which makes them all a bunch of hypocrites.
I wasted my time trying to open their minds.
I guess from now on, I'll talk only to snake owners, who seem to better understand that you can love all animals, regardless of what they eat. They have to eat too.
I didn't make them that way. Grow up.
Shelliebear

Old 11-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
shelliebear
And another thing. Just because I own snakes doesn't mean every rat I see in a store is food for my snakes. The ones labeled as "pets only"--I fully respect that. I NEVER buy the ones labeled pets only for food, and not just because they're expensive. I have respect for those animals.
They make good pets and some of them should be pets.
I'm not walking around all day looking at animals and thinking, "Let's feed that to my snake."
Have some faith in snake owners. We're not bad people. >:/

Old 11-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
Wolfy-hound
You went onto a pet rat forum and talked about feeding rats to snakes. What did you really expect?
If someone comes onto a pet snake forum and starts talking about killing snakes, no matter how necasary it might be, no matter how many snakes are killed all the time, would you expect the forum members to say "Oh yes, we understand that people kill and eat snakes, never mind that we keep them as pets".

If you want to have some fun, go on a vegan forum and post a recipe for venison stew.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
You went onto a pet rat forum and talked about feeding rats to snakes. What did you really expect?
If someone comes onto a pet snake forum and starts talking about killing snakes, no matter how necasary it might be, no matter how many snakes are killed all the time, would you expect the forum members to say "Oh yes, we understand that people kill and eat snakes, never mind that we keep them as pets".

If you want to have some fun, go on a vegan forum and post a recipe for venison stew.

I'm just guessing here but several people from a rat forum came to fauna to post about someone. They provided a link back to there site which described snake breeders in not such a nice light. I thought about actually posting there as well but decide against it. Not sure if this is what prompted her or not but they opened the door.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
Jadenkisses
Quote:

with this, 100%!!!
You can't expect people to change their views on something and accept your's instantly and without hesitation.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
Wolfy-hound
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post

I'm just guessing here but several people from a rat forum came to fauna to post about someone. They provided a link back to there site which described snake breeders in not such a nice light. I thought about actually posting there as well but decide against it. Not sure if this is what prompted her or not but they opened the door.
But then you shouldn't expect them to NOT ban you or at least remove the posting. OP wasn't saying "See I got them back" but "Gee they shouldn't have objected to my posting".

Pet rat owners are not fond of snake owners. We feed the animal they cherish to our pets. Go figure they aren't all that open to snake owners posting that "hey I feed rats to my snakes, but I still like rats too".

Pretty sure that a Korean resturant owner that legitimately serves dog that posted "Hey, I have a pet pekeneise I love a lot, and I happen to kill and serve up dogs every day at my restaurant" would be all that well recieved on a pet dog site either.

For the record, I think rats make grand pets too. Very smart and personable pets.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:04 AM   #7
Jadenkisses
Quote:
Pet rat owners are not fond of snake owners.
Usually, but not always.
I am both a pet rat owner and a snake owner, and I'm pretty fond of myself, lol!
I love my pet rats, and I love my snakes. I don't particularly like the idea that I have to feed my snakes the same type of animal I keep as a pet, but that's what they eat and when I decided to get a snake, I came to terms with that.
Now, I couldn't feed one of my own pet rats to my snake, but I don't have a big issue with buying frozen rats for them. Snakes gotta eat, just like the rats.
And if the roles were switched, I'd feed the rats f/t snakes for the same reason I feed f/t rats to my snakes; it's safer for the animal doing the eating, and more humane for the prey animal. Plus, I don't particularly get any enjoyment out of seeing any animal killed.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:09 AM   #8
shelliebear
Denins, that is exactly what prompted me to post. You know the thread I'm talking about.
The point of my post on the Ratforums was NOT that I kill rats for food, but that you can own snakes and rats and love them both, and not be evil. >:/
It was NOTHING like going to vegan sites and posting meat recipes. I wasn't intending to piss anyone off.
The equivalent would be going to a vegan site where they think meat owners will buy any cow on the street for food and are awful people, and posting "I eat meat, and I don't think I'm evil."
Like I said, I wasn't trying to piss anybody off. I wasn't going there and challenging anybody. I was just putting my 02. cents. The title of the thread was "My thoughts on an issue".
NOT "You people are idiots". Nothing like that. Nothing at all.
I think you completely misunderstood.
As a member of debate teams myself (previously), I struggle to understand not listening to another person's argument. I can understand not agreeing with it but banning the member and removing the post...confuses me.
And if someone came on Fauna and posted "We feed snakes to our pets, but they still make good pets themselves", I wouldn't be upset. I think that's shallow. Like I said before, things have to eat. Everything has to eat.
I'm not sorry for that. It's not my fault.
I thought people would perhaps read what I had posted and think about it, and maybe even bring some of their thoughts to the table, as you all have done here.
After all, in my mind, I didn't say anything bad about rats. I said numerous times they are the sweetest pets I think I've owned. I guess I'm struggling to understand why people can't understand. :/ IF that makes sense.
but Dennis hit the nail on the head.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
shelliebear
Also, Wolfy-hound--I wasn't saying they shouldn't have objected. I was hoping they would have given me replies instead. Nowhere on the site did it say you can't admit to owning a snake, and you can't admit that rats are great pets.
The site didn't say no one could put their thoughts forward, either.
If their intent is to censor snake owner's POV, then that's fine, but I wish they'd give some sort of perspective as to why, so I can understand. This is going to make my head asplode.
I love when people object or agree to posts and give feedback. Even my BK on Fauna helps me learn to be a better, smarter poster. I didn't say they should have objected, but what I did say was I didn't UNDERSTAND why they did.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:09 AM   #10
shelliebear
*Dennis

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!