Hate Crime? Give me a break - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
SPJ
Hate Crime? Give me a break

http://news.yahoo.com/bacon-found-ny...002016541.html

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Authorities were investigating as a possible hate crime the discovery of uncooked bacon scattered on the grounds of a New York City park where Muslims gathered to celebrate the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, police said on Monday.

Festivities to mark the close of Ramadan, when Muslims fast from dawn to dusk, on Sunday had been publicized in local media and drew 1,500 participants to New Dorp Beach Park on Staten Island, said Cyrus McGoldrick, spokesman for the New York chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Organizers found uncooked bacon strewn about a small section of the park, New York City police said.

Religious restrictions prohibit Muslims from eating pork products.

"It's being investigated as a possible bias crime," a police spokeswoman said.

The incident was the latest in a spate of anti-Islamic sentiment in recent weeks. Earlier this month, a mysterious fire burned a mosque in Missouri, while in another instance a soda bottle filled with chemicals was thrown at a private Islamic school outside of Chicago.

In the southern California city of Chino on August 7, pig legs were thrown onto the site of a proposed mosque that has been a target of controversy.

"It's anti-Islamic sentiment - a sign they don't want us to feel welcome," McGoldrick said.

(Reporting by Barbara Goldberg; Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Lisa Shumaker)

Old 08-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Focal
Yeah, sounds like a hate crime to me. Am I missing something? Does bacon naturally grow in this park?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
SPJ
You think this is a hate crime?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Mooing Tricycle
I can kinda see it as being malicious. yeah... but while i see that side, i find it reasonably funny too. Its poor taste, regardless.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Focal
Yes. It's a crime that is fueled off of hate and intolerance. Those kids, in the classroom mentioned above, will hate Americans one day based off of that action. Some people are ignorant enough to believe all Muslims are terrorists while we develop an excellent rapport.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
radera5
So hang on here. Putting un cooked bacon somewhere is now a CRIME? Is it because it's uncooked and might carry something? Would it been better if they cooked it?

Give me a break. This is pathetic. Nothing violent, nothing even said or written, only some bacon. a crime?

I see it as being a joke so they prosecution had better pick their jury wisely. <---- a joke.

Nick, assuming those kids will all grow to hate American's because of this is a stretchhhh. What about when the American kids pick on them in school? That's not worse?

Old 08-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Metachrosis
their store shelves are lined with pork skins and their butt hurt over

Looks like Ill be eating chicken sandwich's all week again . . . . . .

Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
Its symbolism guys.... its meant to antagonize, which is just lame and poor taste. unethical, if you will. Yes, people are thin skinned nowadays, but being that being Muslim is a sensitive topic, it makes sense to me for people to be offended.

Besides, why the heck would you waste all that bacon!? Losers..... lol

Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
That dosnt mean i wouldnt laugh, if i saw it... But i wouldnt do it, either.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
SPJ
A muslim soldier shoots other American soldiers because of his beliefs and it's workplace violence and not a hate crame but leaving bacon somewhere is considered a hate crime?
This country is getting screwed up.
Look out. Bacon will now be added to the ranks of large sodas that are banned in NY.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!