Help! My blizzards sick Green poop! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-10-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
yellowconda12
Help! My blizzards sick Green poop!

I have a 2 year old blizzard that is not eating and has had two green stools, looked like diarhea. She has been laying in her heat spot for days and just today walked over to the other side of the tank. Will a sick gecko still drink water when they have a gasttrointestinal disease? I have been removing ay food items that could hurt her, ie crickets. No vomiting, is alert when I stick my hand in there,.. the rest of the time she has been just laying on her belly.
thank you for any help

Old 02-10-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
groovygeckos
well

i would get her to a vet for checkup including a fecal exam

Old 02-10-2005, 11:26 PM   #3
geckogrl6
Green poop = bile in the feces
your gecko is very sick. get her to vet now!

Old 02-11-2005, 12:18 AM   #4
yellowconda12
Thank you for the information, I will get her to the vet right away

Old 02-11-2005, 01:11 AM   #5
wahberee
quarantine her far away from any type of herps you have near by. I would sterilize her enclosure and water bowl with something such as lysol.

Old 02-11-2005, 03:02 AM   #6
leaftail
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowconda12
Will a sick gecko still drink water when they have a gasttrointestinal disease?
Yes, in fact diarrhea will dehydrate her so it would be good if she drinks some water.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:10 AM   #7
yellowconda12
Thanks again for all the advice.

I took her to the vet, he did a fecal exam, no dice sayd shes clean, I am looking for enviromental/seasonal reasons for this. The vet said it wouldn't be normal for her to not eat this long. tried to feed a pinkie, but it has been wobbling all over in front of her, she licked it, then turned away. The vet told me to force feed her a pinkie, I have never done this so any more advice on this would be helpful.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:25 AM   #8
aliceinwl
DO NOT FORCE FEED HER A PINKI! I have no idea what your vet is thinking! This would be extremely traumatic; much more traumatic than beneficial.

Try this instead Marcia's slurry recipe instead. I copied it from Marcia's post in this thread: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=52615

Quote:
In a blender, combine:
1 small can Hill's A/D pet food (available at most vets)
1/4-1/3 cup Ensure (not chocolate)
1 jar baby food squash
1/4-1/3 cup Pedialite
2 tablets or contents of 2 capsules milk thistle (herbal supplement, liver purifier, found at most drug stores.)
1/2 tsp. each calcium powder and herp vitamin powder
1 large handful of mealworms, added slowly while mixture is blending

Puree all ingredients until completely smooth, and pour into ice cube tray(s) and freeze. Store cubes in zip-lock bag in the freezer until ready to use, then thaw out 1 cube at a time and store in fridge for 2-3 days. I use the empty baby food jar for this purpose, washing it thoroughly after each batch.

*Lately, I have been adding about 1 tsp. T-Rex Gargoyle MRP to each new thawed out cube.

Using this mixture, draw a full dropper (eye dropper type) and place a drop on the gecko's nose. It will lick it off, and as it does, slowly squeeze out a little at a time. Most geckos love this food, and will lap it up.

Old 02-12-2005, 01:02 PM   #9
Golden Gate Geckos
Hmmm...

Your gecko may very well have a bacterial infection, which would not show up on a routine fecal examination. You may want to call the vet back and ask if this could be the problem, and see if he/she will put your gecko on Baytril for a few weeks. In the meantime, the slurry Alice posted above should keep her nourished for awhile. Do NOT force-feed your gecko! Force feeding is a last resort for life and death situations, and it should always be done with a stomach tube. As far as forcing a pinkie, it can be done with a pinkie-press, but they are very expensive and not necessarily warranted in this case.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!