DNR Wraps Up Largest Case of Illegal Traffic in Reptiles - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 03-18-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
zebeck
DNR Wraps Up Largest Case of Illegal Traffic in Reptiles

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this. I hope it is:

Just basically and update on old news:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, 18 MAR 2005
Contacts: Lt. Dave Davis, 989-275-5151, Mary Dettloff, 517-335-5014

DNR Wraps Up Largest Case of Illegal Traffic in Reptiles

State conservation officers today announced the conclusion of Michigan's largest investigation into the illegal trade of protected Michigan reptiles that began in 2001.

Joel Roggelin, of Toledo, Ohio, pleaded no contest to 18 counts of the illegal purchase of protected species in the 23rd District Court in Taylor in December. Roggelin was fined $8,750 and placed on probation for two years.

A total of 14 individuals, who were charged following a two-year undercover operation, either pleaded guilty or no contest to their charges, and collectively were fined more than $58,000.

In June 2001, based upon information received from several sources, the DNR's Wildlife Resource Protection Section "Special Investigation Unit" initiated the covert investigation, which focused upon endangered, threatened or other reptiles at risk and the dealers who exploit them.

An undercover detective spent two years infiltrating this close-knit group of dealers, eventually participating in numerous reptile transactions with dealers who often resold the animals for an instant profit. Simultaneously the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources initiated similar investigations, which proved beneficial in bringing charges against the suspects.

Operation Slither, as it was known in Michigan, was concluded in June 2003, when the DNR and the state Attorney General's office executed eight search warrants at various locations around southern Michigan, and ultimately charged 14 people with more than 400 counts of misdemeanor illegal sale or purchase of protected reptiles. It was the largest enforcement action of this kind in history.

Included in this takedown were charges of manufacture of narcotics and a felony firearm violation. Two subjects are headed to federal prison as a result of this investigation. The following individuals were convicted in Michigan:

* Robert Ashley, Lansing, 3 counts of the illegal possession of protected species; fined $2,418.
* Guy Dunn, Bellevue, 3 counts of illegally purchasing protected species; fined $1,959.
* Mike Decamp, Berkley, 13 counts of illegally purchasing of protected species; fined $6,837.
* Roger Florian, Newport, 10 counts of the illegal sale of protected species; fined $2,959.
* James Heffernan, Inkster, 9 counts of the illegal purchase of protected species; fined $5,418.
* Thomas Nelson, West Bloomfield, 10 counts of the illegal purchase of protected species; fined $5,000.
* Frank Kitter, Royal Oak, 3 counts of purchasing protected species; fined $1,959.
* Jefferson Race, Eaton Rapids, 2 counts of the purchase of protected species; fined $1,459.
* Gordon Renaud, Southgate, 7 counts of purchasing protected species; fined $3,959.
* Joel Roggelin, Toledo, Ohio, 18 counts of the illegal purchase of protected species; fined $8,750.
* Ralph Weiss, Ypsilanti, 15 counts of the illegal possession of protected species; fined $7,959.
* James Weiss, Ypsilanti, 14 counts of the illegal sale and purchase of protected species; fined $3,418.
* Donald Williams, Bay City, one count of purchasing protected species; fined $959.
* William Sands, Gregory, 10 counts of the purchase of protected species and one count of possession of narcotics; fined $5,459. Sands also pleaded guilty to a federal charge of felon in possession of a firearm, and was sent to federal prison.

"This enforcement action demonstrates the continued vulnerability of nongame wildlife species to illegal take," said DNR Law Enforcement Division Chief Alan Marble. "It further underscores the role that conservation law enforcement plays in reducing that vulnerability and sends a strong message to individuals who would plunder Michigan's protected resources for profit."

Any person who has information concerning the illegal trade in protected wildlife is encouraged to call the DNR's Report all Poaching Hotline at (800) 292-7800.

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future generations.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:55 AM   #2
old guy
Is this just the one state because

it's funny how the same name of this operation hits with other states operations /undercover names. ( " operation slither " ). But then some of those other " slithers " were of federal integuments.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:06 AM   #3
DAND
The unfortunate part about the whole thing is they collected $58,000 in fines but it probably cost at least 10 times that to conduct the investigation.

Hopefully this investigation will curb future violations but unfortunately there are many out there that care a lot about making a buck, but care very little about how they make it.

Old 03-19-2005, 03:57 PM   #4
Ken Harbart
I have to wonder how many of those fines and arrests were merely for albino black ratsnakes. Damn, I'm glad I left that state.

Old 03-19-2005, 04:37 PM   #5
reptilebreeder
You have some states like this one, who have these huge "stings" and it goes on for years and then they nail everybody. Many times the people busted are "just" everyday snake keepers who didn't know you couldn't buy a CB cornsnake that is legal in 48 other states. Now I know ignorance is no excuse, and they do also bust a lot of real poachers and bad guys, but then you have situations, and I forget who the poster was or the thread, but someone who tried to report that they had info on someone who is poaching Heloderma, which probably everyone knows is illegal, and the G&F, or DNR, or whatever was like, "we're not worried about it" or "we're not going to do anything about it" or something of an unconcerning nature. Go figure.

Old 03-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #6
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Harbart
I have to wonder how many of those fines and arrests were merely for albino black ratsnakes. Damn, I'm glad I left that state.
From what I heard a good portion were because of various Black Rat morphs.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:47 PM   #7
brucestephenson
I am fairly certain that it is a time-honored tactic for the police to pretend they are "not interested" in some activity, when in fact they may be very much so.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucestephenson
I am fairly certain that it is a time-honored tactic for the police to pretend they are "not interested" in some activity, when in fact they may be very much so.
I kind of thought about that, but in the one I was talking about, they didn't even get any info, so it wasn't like they could feign disinterest and then lurk the situation.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:43 PM   #9
brucestephenson
Yah, information gatherers use the "disinterested" ploy to get people mad and blab more.

Old 03-20-2005, 01:15 PM   #10
evansnakes
According to the agencies involved, they spent $2.1 million and several years on this investigation. To show for that they came up with nothing in the state of Michigan over a class D misdemeanor, wildlife offense. Several charges were not pursued as they were founded on the statements made by people (a certain government witness) who turned out to be multi convicted felon and drug dealer who lied. Also, this all took place during and right after 9/11. This is how tax dollars are spent. Also, the guy listed in the article who did have drugs and illegal guns in his house, who is a previous multi convicted felon, that is listed as being in prison now, is living in Arizona, selling reptiles to pet shops and through classified ads in the newspapers. He was allowed to leave by the authorities here. That is how REAL criminals are dealt with. The black ratsnake offenses were in the state of Ohio. This is Michigan. The bulk of the offenses charged for here were related to native turtle species.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!