Greyband Eggs! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-21-2005, 11:39 PM   #1
Karen Hulvey
Greyband Eggs!

I've been babysitting some snakes for a friend who is having a house built. In the meantime he's living w/another friend who hates snakes, therefore, I have his snakes.

He has a pr of greyband kingsnakes. I asked him if I could put them together to breed this year (I already cooled them) and he said go ahead. They bred in December and into January. She laid 11 eggs last Tuesday, Feb. 15. I'm stoked. This will be the first time I've actually attempted to hatch snake eggs. They still look good so far, as if 6 days means anything! HA I took pics of her around the eggs and will post it as soon as Wal-Mart finds them. I put them in last Wednesday and they can't find em.

Now I'm going to buy a couple of pairs of colubrids, not sure just what yet. I've mainly been working with boas. Had my first litter of KSBs last September and that was great. I've also got ATBs and plan on breeding them. But the egg thing is foreign to me. My boss hatches hundreds of colubrid eggs along with about 100 or so burmese eggs so he's teaching me what I need to know. Also I've been reading up on the net and in books to get more knowledge. I love to read.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:36 AM   #2
hhmoore
congrats on getting to this point...makes me feel like I am way behind schedule, as I just started introducing my male GBK to the females. The girls have all complete their first sheds, now the male is opaque. at least I feel better that he is just not stupid (after a little halfhearted courtship with the first female, he has shown no interest whatsoever)

Old 02-22-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
Sasheena
Yes, CONGRATS! It's so cool... I've never had a snake give live birth, and I can't help but think that would be easier... nothing you gotta do except see the critters cruising around going "wow, life outside the cave is different"

I've been TERRIBLY behind too... I have my cornsnakes together, but I haven't even woken up my kingsnakes yet! Too many crises one after the other. I thought I was done with Universe-Shattering-Crises at the beginning of last week and was ready to get on with having fun, but then another super-nova or two and I'm back to taping the universe together again....

BUT... this weekend my hope is to get all my girls warmed up and fed, and then when they are ready, get them going with all the boy snakes! Since I have so few boys, my boys are going to have to really RHUMBA! (or is that RUMBA?) In any case, eggs are cool!

This year I could have 11 or 12 clutches! Yee-Ha!

Now if only we don't get a black hole or invasion by aliens, I'll be fine!

Old 02-23-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
Sherry Howell
Grayband eggs

Congratulations on the eggs. I have some corn eggs incubating and can't wait to see those little tikes hatch.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
Karen Hulvey
Here's a pic of the proud lady and her clutch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FH000026_edited.jpg (62.0 KB, 112 views)

Old 02-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #6
Mattcbiker
So what's new in Sasheena's life? The kids getting to ya?!?!

Old 03-01-2005, 05:59 PM   #7
Sasheena
Beautiful!

Oh and the kids are the same.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:47 PM   #8
jlassiter
Kevin and Shirley?????

How do you guys have eggs already??
WOW!!! Most of us hibernate from Thanksgiving to Valentines day or March 1st.
The alterna eggs look great......it is amazing to me that they have arrived so soon.
When did you hibernate them? How long did you hibernate them?
Kinda strange especially for a species (alterna) that require cool temps for at least a 60-90 duration.
Also, Shirley....what kind of eggs to you have incubating? What species I mean?
Congrats,
John Lassiter

Old 03-02-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
jlassiter
Sorry..... I meant Karen not Kevin LOL!!!

So Karen,
could you possibly tell me what your hibernation and breeding schedule was for the alterna pair? I am in awe that you have eggs already.
Congratulations is in order,
John Lassiter

Old 03-04-2005, 08:25 PM   #10
Ophis
Was I dreaming or did I read a post on this thread where Karen explained how she was holding the Grey-bandeds along with some other snakes for a friend and described room temps etc...related to how the Greys mated etc.... Was it deleted? is it in another thread? was I high on Crack yesterday?