Flagellats - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
Beardiepal
Flagellats

Ok guys I am putting myself out on a limb here...but sometimes us juvies need to learn from each others present, ongoing experiences. Its time for all my dragons fecal checks, Saphira had one this a.m. I took it directly to my vet...2 minutes away..the result is flagellats...I am really bummed out...she eats, she is great..you would never know she had this..I looked it up...giardia,trichomonas, OMG...she is laying eggs, so therefore i put myself out there with my girl to see what you guys have to say. Vet appointment 0930 on Friday. Take good care all, B

Old 05-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #2
pscaulkins
Hi,

I had a dragon that had trichomonas and he was treated with Flagyl (Metronidazole). It's strange she doesn't have any symptoms though maybe she doesn't have a bad case. I don't know how medicating will affect her egg laying though as I am not a breeder. Flagyl is very harsh on them per my experience and I had to really work to get him to eat even though I gave him probiotics. My vet explained he could have gotten them from the greens I was feeding him or our water. I ruled out our water so that left his greens. What I do now is I soak all the greens and veg's I buy in a solution of vinegar water. I rinse them very, very good until there is no smell of vinegar. I actually do this for our own veg's so we don't get any creepy crawlers. I don't know if it actually works but for me it's better to be safe than sorry.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
Beardiepal
Thank you so much !

I really thought about the top soil she lays her eggs in...I don't know...I will wait to see what he says on Friday and go from there. She is quite active. I wash all veggies/greens...who knows? I hope it cannot be passed to babies but I sure can see that it possibly could...I appreciate so much your reply and I will keep you posted on what the vet says....Take good care and thanks again, B

Old 05-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Beardiepal
can I bump on this forum????

I would love for this true live experience to be of benefit to newbies, and juvies as myself...I just thought we could educate someone as I am being taught. B

Old 05-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
pscaulkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardiepal
I would love for this true live experience to be of benefit to newbies, and juvies as myself...I just thought we could educate someone as I am being taught. B
I also agree with you. I guess I would be called a newbie although I have had beardies for 3 years but am not into breeding (don't have the time or the space). But I have a motto "Life would be boring if I didn't learn something everyday". I even learned a few things in that long post re: adeno.

You made a good point about the top soil could have contained the contaminate your female contracted. Did you buy it in a bag or dig it up?

Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
Beardiepal
I kniow never to dig up anything, LOl. but I have found a woman's dress and a man's overalls in my tiller when I first moved here 15 years ago, LOL. I bought the topsoil in a bag from Lowes. I looked for a bag not punctured...I have always laid in topsoil...I change it often so very often..Take good care, Beth I will let you know what the vet says in the morning...I may need to treat the whole shit & kabootle...southern saying maybe...LOL.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:10 AM   #7
GottaLuvHerps
Beth,
Maybe you will get this before you head to the vet...it's something to think about at least.
The main question I have is if the count is so high that she NEEDS to be treated? Remember, there is a natural level of all parasites in reptiles, and just because she is showing them does NOT mean she needs to be medicated, especially if she is gravid. Make sure to talk to the vet about what is considered a normal parasite load, and what is abnormal before shoving meds in the poor girl. The meds can be very harsh on them, and with her being gravid, it could take a bigger toll on her.
Maybe I am a bit out of the norm, but when a dragon (or any reptile) is not showing symptoms that cause concern, and husbandry to up to par (as we all know yours is!), I just hate to jump into medicating them. Even vets seem to forget that these guys do have normal levels of all kinds of parasites (like humans do), and instantly throw meds at you, along with all the issues that come WITH medicating (the extra baths, acidophillus in the food, etc etc). I guess the biggest problem is that at this point, we don't know what is "normal" or not, but I'm old school with so many things - I don't rush my kids to the doc for meds every time they sneeze, and I'm not going to instantly believe that our herps need meds without symptoms.
Do NOT get me wrong, sometimes the meds and treatment are necessary, I just don't think they are necessary as often as they are prescribed.

Kel

Old 05-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
sairhead21
I agree with Kelly on this one B. If she's not showing any symptoms then she may not need medication at this time. We all know the affects antibiotics can have on our dragons so I wonder what it will do to her eggs. Just a thought.
Sarah

Old 05-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #9
Beardiepal
You guys are terrific !!

Kelly & Sara- I took Saphira and Falkor in. I got a poop sample from Falkor earlier the a.m. of Saphira's appointment. So I took them both. Saphirra's stool has been very foul smelling and its been not formed compared to what it normally is. Dr. Hannon said that Saphira had high counts of flagellats. He explained to me that there are innate normal counts and counts that are too high. He gave me Metronidazole (Flagyl) I am to give it to her for 3 days..and then once a week for 3 weeks. She is still active & chasing her roaches, and eating her salad. Falkor had nothing in his fecal. Porsche had a fecal yesterday and she is too parasite free. Take good care everyone, Love B

Old 05-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Beardiepal
Oh I forgot !!!

And it is not Giardia or Trichomonas. B