Male iguana to be re-homed - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Adoptions

Notices

Adoptions This section is for people OFFERING animals for adoption. NOT solicitations asking for free animals.

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
MikeCurtin
Male iguana to be re-homed

Well, here's the story...a couple years ago, a man I knew took in an iguana as a "rescue". He knew nothing of their care, temperment, husbandry, etc. After about a month, he told me he needed to get rid of it, as he didn't like the way it looked at him, and it didn't get along with the beardies he was housing it with. Yes, that's right, he was keeping this guy in a desert tank with bearded dragons! After he told he me was just going to "wack it", I agreed to bring him to our house until we could find him another home. We named him "Henry" after Henry Hill, and he thus entered the Iguana Protection Program!

Well, the time has come. With our multitude of other animals, and given his temperment, we would like to find him a permanent "forever" home. This guy is not friendly. He whips if you get too close, and will bite if you do not use extreme caution while handling. However, if you appreciate him for what he is (another iguana with a hard life and a sad story), he's just fine to look at, despite only having half a tail.

Experienced keepers ONLY! I will not ship this guy, and a good home is my top priority. I will deliver up to 75 miles to ensure this (possibly more if the situation warrants it). The only requirements are good knowledge of the species, experience with larger iguanas, a big heart, and a willingness to sign an agreement stating you will not sell or breed this guy. We will keep him here indefinitely while looking for the right home.

Lastly, there is a local non-profit "rescue zoo" in my area. When I called to discuss "Henry" with them, I was told that they already have 30+ rescues, and can't take any more. If you are interested in this guy, and could possibly take others, they need someone to refer people to.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:20 AM   #2
Helenthereef
He's magnificent! A credit to your rescue skills I think.
But maybe you should show the "half a tail"?

Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
MikeCurtin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
He's magnificent! A credit to your rescue skills I think.
But maybe you should show the "half a tail"?
Thanks for the kind words. I can show the tail if necessary, but it will be when he dicides, not me. As i said, he is not at all friendly, and his tail was "cocked" when the pics were taken....that's his favorite window he's basking in front of, and he was ticked off enough just because I got so close.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCurtin View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I can show the tail if necessary, but it will be when he dicides, not me. As i said, he is not at all friendly, and his tail was "cocked" when the pics were taken....that's his favorite window he's basking in front of, and he was ticked off enough just because I got so close.
Yeh, he does have that glint in his eye....

Old 10-05-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
Iguanagirl8662
Aww poor guy, he's lucky you took him in, who knows what that guy would have done to him. All my Igs had hard really hard lives just like him and if I had the room I'd take him in a heart beat, but 4 Igs take up a LOT of room so I am unable to take on anymore Igs. You did a great job with him, he is very handsome. Good luck finding a home for him.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
MikeCurtin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iguanagirl8662 View Post
Aww poor guy, he's lucky you took him in, who knows what that guy would have done to him. All my Igs had hard really hard lives just like him and if I had the room I'd take him in a heart beat, but 4 Igs take up a LOT of room so I am unable to take on anymore Igs. You did a great job with him, he is very handsome. Good luck finding a home for him.
Thanks, Katie. It's important to know your limits, and I commend you for being able to help the ones you have. Like I said, this is just to get the ball rolling. I'll probably have him a while as I'm looking for the best "forever" home possible.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
MikeCurtin
Sure does, lol!

Old 10-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
MikeCurtin
Here's a couple new pics of him chillin' in his window, showing the tail.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
brokenbluetears
He looks like the male iguana i used to have named Jaro. Had to sell him to a friend of mine when he became way too aggressive to handle. i was pg at the time and didn't want an aggressive iguana takin off my kids fingers some day... i'm now currently looking for another one tho. preferrably female and tame. is there any in that "rescue group" you talked about fitting that description?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
toms85stang
i am located in delaware and would like to have him would you meet some were in the middle email me at toms85stang@yahoo.com

Closed Thread