Need some heating advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Boid&GeckoFreak
Need some heating advice

I need to heat some 4'x2' Pro-Line cages for Boa Constrictors. Problem is, the room temp is only 75 during the summer, and 70-72 during the winter. Raising the room temp isn't an option.

I managed to find a site that sells the low wattage 21" wide Flexwatt, AKA Boaphile's 2X heat. Boaphile's website says that their 2X heat should be sufficient in a room that's around 72 degrees, but I've been reading mixed experiences with it.

Other option is Pro Products RHP. I've never used RHPs partly to to the price. Again I've been reading mixed experiences with them. Some people say they're good at raising ambient temps. Others say that since they are a radiant heat source they don't raise ambient temps much, especially in a sparsely furnished cage, as there isn't much mass for them to heat up. My cages are pretty much just newspaper, water bowl and a hide. Not sure if a RHP would be much more effective than Flexwatt. Plus I'm not a fan of needing to put the thermostat probe inside the cage, though I guess I could use a dimmer/rheostat instead.

Anyone have any experience using either of these in a colder room?