The Most Dangerous Snake in the USA? Rattlesnake Study Provides Clue - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
j_dunlavy
I know you guys (Frank and Greg) have said you are leaving this subject, so I don't mean to beat a dead horse;
I think the topic of venomous snakes being kept in the private sector is something that reptile keepers should keep as an open discussion. Whether we agree with each others opinions or not, I think that is what makes it such an interesting and lively topic for friendly debate. I encourage more people (hot keepers or not) to participate. I feel that there are a great number of perspectives to be learned and considered; overall, communication and cooperation is what will make the entire reptile community stronger in the long run.

On the subject of negativity being the focus: As I see it, the problem is really human nature; the media finds no excitement in things going right, they love the drama of disaster. There are entire TV series based on things going wrong. What I am saying is, people love to gossip.
Now if the teen bitten in NC been in his 30's and everything was being kept legally, would that have been as interesting a story to the media? Probably not, unless the bite victim died.

I really agree with both of your perspectives: Greg's being that most venomous keepers are very responsible and diligent with regards to safety, legality, etc; and Frank's being that the private keeper is not able to adequately prepare for the accidental bite and that there is no way to assure a bite will not occur.

My questions would be:
What is your perception of the laws restricting venomous snake ownership, say California (exotics restricted, natives not*) and Texas or Florida with lax restrictions on exotic hots; and would there even be a benefit to a complete ban? (Personally, I feel CA has the right idea in some ways, but feel a complete ban would hurt the reptile community in the long run).
Do you think there is any sort of criteria that could be created for the private sector that would make venomous ownership by private collectors acceptable? (personally, I feel a licensing program would be the way to go; kind of like earning a class A drivers license).
What sort of precautions would be necessary in the private sector? (this would probably be extensive and costly).
Why not just keep non-venomous? In other words, why would you want to keep something that can hurt, maim or kill you? (I feel there is a certain unique appeal to some venomous herps, and when properly housed and cared for with the right safety protocols they would be very rewarding as an observational specimen; this is why I would keep one anyway, I just do not at this point for various reasons).

*red diamond rattlers are protected; local restrictions vary

Tags
rattlesnakes, venomous