New owner. Please help. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2004, 05:58 AM   #1
cursed1
New owner. Please help.

Ok, I'd first like to say hello to all on these forums! My name is Justin, and I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I'm 19 years old, I currently don't own any snakes, nor have I ever.

I've been doing nothing but researching snakes for the last couple of days, as I've decided to get myself one (at least) for Christmas, and to start breeding after I get comfortable with caring for the snakes. I've decided on a ball python. There are lots of mutations and different patterns that are very interesting, and I'm really into all that. I'm not expecting to have some awesome snow or ivory ball pythons or anything, possibly an albino at some point might be nice... but I generally don't expect to ever have one of those really rare ones.

As far as just owning the snakes as pets though, the ball pythons seem to be easy to care for, and are good for beginning owners.

I'd like to run some information by you guys though just to make sure I am not misinformed at this time, so I would appreciate any corrections you guys have, or if you can confirm that this is correct. mainly snake care.

From what I gather, an adult ball python will only need to be fed about every 8 days and the feeding would be 2-3 small mice, generally they'd have to be no bigger than 1.5x the diameter of the snake itself. I do need to know where the best place to get the food would be, and the average cost per month of feeding the snake. Also, I know I'll need a heat source, as snakes are cold blooded. I was wondering if there is something I should/shouldn't use particularly? I've heard about head pads and heating lights etc. I want to know what is the cheapest way to heat the tank effectively. I don't want to neglect my snake, and I don't want to neglect my bank account either, so this is still an issue I need to sort out. Also, it will be about 6-9 months before the snake begins to reach a size where I'll need a bigger tank, if I were to start out with a small 20 gallon (cheap) aquarium with a baby snake, this would be sufficient for that 6-9 months right? As far as the matting/ground on the tank, I am not sure what is best to use. I was thinking something along the lines of cypress mulch, but how is that with the bacteria/diseases for the snake? Is it clean enough to use? Also, what is best for cleanup of the snake and to control any foul smells? I know I'll need a water bowl for the snake as well, and I've heard it's good to have some kind of little "box" or something for the snake to hide in when needed, just for its comfort.

I really don't want to neglect my snake, and I was wondering if the stuff I just talked about is correct? As well as the questions I've put up there that I need to have answered, thanks in advance.

I would like to just get a ball python to start and see how it goes, if I like it... I'd like to start with breeding at some point. I think that would be awesome. Hopefully I'll come across something nice.

Ok here's the biggest question though... I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I need to know where I should get my snake. I'm not looking for anything too serious as I can't afford to spend too much money right now on a snake... I could probably buy something from petco pretty cheap, especially as I'm looking to start with the snake as a baby (smaller tank). However, I'd like to know if there's any way I can contact some private breeders (gotta find them first) in my area, who would possibly have a baby python I could buy. Maybe if the price is right I could afford something like an albino

Perhaps one of you is in the Pittsburgh area, or anywhere within 1 state of here maybe, and we can do business. But really, I don't have too much of a problem with buying from a pet store. I just want a ball python, plain if it has to be.

I very much appreciate all of you reading this, and all your responses (in advance) and thank you for your time. =)