egg help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-07-2004, 09:49 AM   #1
llechler_x
egg help

Hi everyone. Unexpectantanly, my female had eggs after only 2 weeks from mating. I noticed her digging a lot and when I checked later in the day, the eggs were totally buried at the bottom of the humidity box. I was wondering what your advice was for the best way to move the eggs into the container for the incubator? The eggs seem SO SOFT, I'm afraid to touch them! But I may just be overly cautious. Any pointers? Also, while I was digging searching for the eggs, I think I might have turned one or something. I wasn't expecting the eggs so soon let alone buried so deep within the humidity box (they were pretty much laying at the very bottom with all the peat moss on top of them). I know turning an egg can kill it, but is there a better way to search for the eggs without having to use my hands (I'm just overly cautious and worried I might hurt them) Any tips would be helpful!
Thanks!

Old 04-07-2004, 12:01 PM   #2
riverjop
Talking here's a site thats got easy instructions

for you to use (pic's and all)
good luck!

http://www.progeckos.com

Old 04-07-2004, 02:02 PM   #3
Golden Gate Geckos
Matthew...

You really do not need to worry too much about moving the eggs after they are first laid, although you should try to keep them orientated the way you found them. It is a little later when the embryo starts forming that it becomes possible to 'drown' it. Just pick them up, and place them half-buried in whatever container/medium you will be using to incubate them. Many people mark them on top with a Sharpie to indicate which side is the top.

Old 04-07-2004, 02:11 PM   #4
llechler_x
Do you usually pick up the eggs with your fingers?

Old 04-07-2004, 03:25 PM   #5
beakgeek
I used a small spoon so I would not squeeze them. I also misted the eggs to make sure they did not stick to the bottom of the laying box.

Good luck.

Terry

Old 04-07-2004, 03:39 PM   #6
Sybella
I pick mine up with my fingers...they're not as fragile as you think. Practice with a marshmallow if you're nervous.

Old 04-07-2004, 04:09 PM   #7
Golden Gate Geckos
well...

I use my fingers, as well.

Old 04-08-2004, 01:32 AM   #8
Blazin
mark top dead center

Long before it was posted on a top leopard breeders site Reptile enthusiasts had been marking turtle and other reptile eggs at top dead center. I recommend you do this although its not really necessary it can ease the mind. Just get a nice soft felt tipped marker and gently mark top dead center ontop of the egg. Also the eggs will harden after a short period of time and should be rather firm to the touch. Take care and hope this helps.

Chad Gill
Blazin Reptiles

Old 04-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #9
llechler_x
Thanks for the tips everyone! I guess I was just a little too nervous and paranoid!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!