Ideas for feeding BRB - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Ophion
Ideas for feeding BRB

So my girl, Amana has been a gem since I got her the end of last month. I just seem to have issues with getting her to eat consistently (or at all really). I am quite sure the first time I tried to feed her she didn't have enough time to settle in (3 days), so that didn't bother me. A week later I fed her and she did eat a f/t mice fuzzy. The last two time she has refused to eat.

I have it in a tank a bit large the necessary at this age, but am sure to provide her with plenty of small hide and plants to hide in. She seems decent with it, not that she can tell me. The temp is 80-81 at all times. (no extra major gradient as it averages and doesn't drop and won't 'til winter) It is 80%-90% humidity mostly stays 85%-87%.

I have fed her in a box with the f/t mouse and put the box back in her encloser to keep the same temps/humidity. I left her for a couple hours (one time she ate one time she didn't) and this last time overnight. I tried to entice her and to leave her alone completely. I don't know if rat pinkies would be better (thought mice were typically more enticing), I am trying to avoid live or feeding her in her encloser, but any ideas would be great at this point.

Thank you!

Old 07-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
geckogrl6
How old is she? Is it possible she is in shed, and that's why she's not eating? No harm in offering a rat, given proper timing.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Snakesitter
Ophion, the first thing to realize is that snakes can go months without food, even babies...so there is no need to worry yet.

Usually, not feeding is a result of husbandry or stress. However, her environmental parameters sound good for a Brazilian. (I usually like to see more of a gradient, but if you can't provide one, at least you are well within the species' comfort zone.)

I would try feeding her in her viv, as the move to a separate enclosure may be causing stress. I would also try a rodent heated to *piping* hot and offered "moving" with tongs, to see if that will coax a strike. Try offering the meal at dusk, which is when Brazilians are more active, at least a week after the last feeding attempt, and do not handle her for the day before. After offering the meal, turn off all the lights and leave the room for an hour. Hopefully this will get her to eat.

As for mice versus rats...each snake is an individual, and they all have their preferences. See if you can find out what she ate at the store, and try offering that same meal 'til she is eating regularly again.

Good luck!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
Ophion
I just want to thank you both for your help and suggestions. Cliff I actually tried pretty much all of those (except oviously feeding in her viv) and when I danced the mouse around and tried to coax her with the fuzzy she just looked at me as if I were just a pest.

I actually went to a local store her (nicest people) and the owner convinced me to try a live fuzzy and just put it in with her. I wanted to wait a bit, but her said just throw it in. I get back home last night, throw the fuzzy in, leave everything dark and quiet. I come back a couple hours later and its gone and she has a nice little bump. Go figure she apparently is used to live. I can slowly try and switch her over (obviously she can if she did it once), but at least she ate and I have a better idea of where she is at.

Thank you all again. I know I am a paranoid owner, just want everyone happy and of course fed.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
geckogrl6
So glad to hear it! My BRB made the switch to f/t quite easily. I offered several fuzzies when they they were clearly to small for him. After he ate one still wriggling, no constricting! I figured he was ready for f/t.
Wait a little longer between meals for the first dead meal, and you may need to offer fresh kills for a few meals first, but it sounds like you are both doing well! Congrats!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Snakesitter
I'd offer her another two meals live, just to get her in good enough shape to fight what may be a battle of wills. Then wait a bit longer and try fresh killed...then short-term frozen (less than 24 hours, less chance to pick up freezer smells)...in other words, a slow build. Good luck, Shannon!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!