Sterlite 41qt vs V-70 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Araidia
Sterlite 41qt vs V-70

I'm building a new 41qt rack soon and I was wondering if it was worth it to buy the v-70. I have sterlite tubs in my other smaller racks and like them. How does everyone like the 41qts? The sizes are about the same but the v-70's seem to be thicker and wider but cost $13 so a ten tub rack would be $130 not including shipping. I can get 41qt tubs for 8.99 with a 15% discount so then 10 would only be about $76. Are the v-70's worth the extra money?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Araidia
Also how does everyone like the v-18 hatchling tubs vs the sterlite 6qts?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Focal
The sterlite 41's that I use do not have a level top. The center is slightly higher than the end of the tub. When I was making the rack, I factored in my gap based on the center and that resulted in the end gaps to be larger than expected. It's not a major problem, but I use it as a sub adult rack and sometimes I see new occupants with their head sticking out of the gap but can't escape. This was on my first rack and I also put holes in the tubs before I made the rack, which over ventilated it IMO. I would use the 41's again, but pay closer attention to the gap and use far less ventilation holes since the top is not level.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Araidia
I've had the same problems, the gaps weren't a problem for the larger snakes but I had to put some thin strips of wood under the smaller tubs to press them closer so the little guys didn't get out. I put too many holes in them to but my whole room is kept at 60% humidity so it wasn't as big of a deal. How do the 41qts hold up? My 28s are in a rack designed to slide out widthwise, would the 41qts do ok like that or would they bend?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Casey Hulse
Both tubs taper, but the cb70 has 1" more width and length at the floor so this is quite a lot of square inches. For bps 2000gms or so, the 41 qt is OK, but for very large females, the CB70 is better. My choice is the ARS70 (american rodent supply) these tubs have straight walls, so the floor is much larger, the tubs are very thick and strong, and you can get them with molded holders for 16oz deli cups which is great if you use bedding like aspen or cypress mulch. They are more $$ ($17) but are worth it in my opinion. I have quite a few broken CB70's, but I do not think the ARS70 would break if you dropped it 4'. Plus the ARS70 was designed to hold reptiles. Brian Hahn (ARS) also make excellent racks for his tubs. If you are planning on being in the hobby for a long time, the ARS is a good investment. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Araidia
They look nice, wish I could afford those racks, alas, I am but a poor college student lol. I made my own racks for about $150 each, they came out pretty nice for me never building anything in my life before. I made mine from the design by blue apple herps, here's a pic of their 41qt design, I made one like that but for 28's and 15's. http://www.blueappleherps.com/page13/files/page13_2.jpg That's the design I'm using for the new racks to. My rooms heated so an open design is ok and I like that they're super light and easy to wheel around. I modified it a bit and put some thin wood strips under the tubs like tracks so it raises them up just enough to run my heat cable under it. The shelves are plastic to so it's light, easy to clean, and the snakes aren't in contact with any wood and you don't have to worry about it warping from humidity.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Hulse View Post
Both tubs taper, but the cb70 has 1" more width and length at the floor so this is quite a lot of square inches. For bps 2000gms or so, the 41 qt is OK, but for very large females, the CB70 is better. My choice is the ARS70 (american rodent supply) these tubs have straight walls, so the floor is much larger, the tubs are very thick and strong, and you can get them with molded holders for 16oz deli cups which is great if you use bedding like aspen or cypress mulch. They are more $$ ($17) but are worth it in my opinion. I have quite a few broken CB70's, but I do not think the ARS70 would break if you dropped it 4'. Plus the ARS70 was designed to hold reptiles. Brian Hahn (ARS) also make excellent racks for his tubs. If you are planning on being in the hobby for a long time, the ARS is a good investment. Good luck!
I used the sterilite 41 quarts before, and hated all the curved lines and the little trough that ran around the bottom edge. It was tough to get in there and clean things out at times.

I'm with Casey on the 70 series ARS tubs. I just received my first batch of them not long ago and am incredibly impressed with these. Definitely worth the added expense. And the best part is no more dumped water dishes. Even with my hardcore dish tipper gals. Love it!

Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Araidia
Yea they sound nice, just a tad to pricy for me. I think I might get the v-70 though, seems tougher than the sterlite but not as pricy as the ars. I don't have a problem with bowl tippers thankfully lol. Mine all have little no tip non skid kitty bowls in their tubs, they're like a $1 in petco. They can't get them tipped over so they just shove all their paper towels in them instead lol.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
allreptiles1966
I dont seem to have the problem that Nick (Focal) has. Mine are snug and all level.I use several racks made from the Lowes center. Those heavy plastic one for $50.
I cut the legs to the height of the Sterilite and they all fit tight. None of either my babies or my sub adults can stick their heads out. Not sure why others are having an issue ? I can post pics if you need to see. You cannot get a pencil out of mine.
I dont mind the little trough that runs around the bottom of the tubs. Cleans easy enough with boa's at least.

I have a few of these and for the cost compared to a 3-4 tub for $350. I will build all my own.It cost about $350 for a 10 spot with a herpstat and all the heat. Seems like a decent way to go.

If you ant pics,just ask. Mine is as tight as any can be. Good luck either way you decide to go

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!