I need a little help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:25 PM   #1
Darin Chappell
This sin't a herp related topic, and Rich may well determine that it needs to be deleted.  However, if you all could indulge me for a bit, I need some information about going after someone for internet fraud.

My nephew sent someone a $400.00 moneyorder for the newest and greatest edition of the "cube" video game set (whatever THAT is), and the person never sent the cube, the money or any emails.  They have tried and tried to make contact with this person, but all they have received is tales from other people who also were taken by the same woman.

My question is, what recourse is there for my sister and her boy?  Who do they need to contact in order to get the ball rolling?  I'm not sure what verified information they have on "her," but I know they should contact the prosecuting attorney for the area where they sent the mailorder.  What else?  

My nephew is 12, and I hate seeing him get ripped off like this!  Any help would be appreciated.

Darin Chappell

Old 07-11-2002, 12:56 PM   #2
EMERALDGUY33
Darin,

Sorry to hear of your nephews' problem. Your sister should contact the local P.D. of where this woman lives as well. Did any part of the transaction occur over the internet? If so, contact the FBI Internet Fraud Division. Plus, I assume the m.o. was sent via the USPS? If so, contact the U.S. Postal Inspectors' Office in the city and state where she lives. Best of luck tracking this troll down. Hey Darin, want to post her contact info.?

Old 07-11-2002, 01:30 PM   #3
Rob Hill/Geckos Anonymous
I agree with John on all of those points.  Internet fraud is a felony offense to my recollection.  And if a USPS money order was used, it is also considered mail fraud and the USPS will prosecute as well as the FBI's internet fraud division.  And her local PD can do some of the dirty work as well.  

Good luck getting it all worked out!!!  I hope they nail this scumbag.

Old 07-11-2002, 02:46 PM   #4
LadyChaos
If this was off eBay, have her use their SafeHarbor....takes a bit, but it generally works...I've always gotten my money back.

What she was attempting to buy was the Nintendo Cube...their latest console gaming system which runs $150 in the store...I hope she was getting extra games and stuff.

Other than that, post her info and maybe we can track her down!

Old 07-13-2002, 12:21 AM   #5
jlepsch
Send a "Letter of Demand" via certified mail.  In the letter, detail the transaction thus far.  Include a copy of any information that will supprt your case (a photocopy of the cashed MO would be great), emails, receipts...  Clearly state what it is that you want--a refund, replacement...  And give a reasonable time frame for a resolution.  Two weeks after receipt of the letter should suffice.

If the time passes without resolution, send a copy of all the information and actions to the law enforcement in his/her hometown.  You can also forward a copy to the attorney general in his/her state.  

If you have not already done so, speak with your postmaster.  If you have an email from the seller, you can also forward an email to the postmaster@his/her domain and ask if they provide any intervention services.

I hope this helps.  I was taken for about $1500 a few years ago, but I was able to recover it after a couple months of persistance.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!