Cryptosporidia - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-17-2004, 09:53 PM   #1
Stevefromsd
Cryptosporidia

Ever have a snake that had Cryptosporidia? If so, did it die from it? I have 5 Rosys that keep regugitating their food. I already tried flagyl to treat internal parisites. That seemed to work on 2 of the snakes. 3 are still puking though. I'm trying Zythromycin now and hoping that works. the vet is starting to think it might be Cryptosporidia.

Old 12-18-2004, 12:20 AM   #2
ChaosCat
If you can get a sample of what they puke up or poop out, have your vet look at it. I'm not an expert, but I'm betting crypto can be seen in either one.

What are your temps? Rosies will often regurgitate if they are too warm or too cold.

Old 12-18-2004, 08:54 AM   #3
Sand&SunReptile
Yeah, if the medicine only affected 2 snakes, it may be a husbandry issue. Good that the vet is involved here, and they should improve with time, and meds.
I would get a stool, or throw up sample to the vet though, so he can more accurated see what is going on. I would think a stool sample would be better...

Old 12-18-2004, 09:25 PM   #4
Stevefromsd
At the time, the high end was 87-90 and the low end was 80. The Vet said that shouldn't have made 3 snakes puke. Not it's more like 85 on the high end and 78 on the low end.

Old 12-19-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
nicolai
crypto..

Cyptosporidia: A coccidian parasite, Cryptosporidia may be found in many species of animals and can be pathogenic to reptiles causing regurgitation in snakes, weight loss, mid-body swelling and gastrointestinal signs.

If crypto is a possibility then clean the enlosures well..

There are live main groups of disinfectants used with reptiles:

1. Quaternary ammonium compounds (Roccal-D, Upjohn Co.)

2. Chlorhexidine products (Nolvasan, Aveco Co.)

3. Household bleach (Sodium hypochlorite - many brands)

4. Ammonia (many brands)

5. Inorganic iodine products (e.g., povidone-iodine -many brands)

Anorexia

Although reptiles are rarely presented on emergency for this problem alone, this is often part of the presenting complaint. For instance, septic reptiles are usually anorexic. Environmental issues are often at fault, including stress, hypothermia, poor hygiene, and improper humidity.

Parasitic infections are another common cause of anorexia in reptiles. Protozoans may cause anorexia or diarrhea in heavy numbers. However, in most reptiles they are commensal organisms and no treatment is needed if found on routine fecal exam. Trichomonas, Hexamita, Balantidium, or Nyctotherus may be seen on direct fecal exam. Treat with metronidazole when warranted (stick with lower doses and monitor for CNS signs).

Cryptosporidia should be considered as a rule out for any reptiles with anorexia, vomiting, weight loss, or regurgitation. Gastric lavage is more likely to be diagnostic than fecal exam. The MERIFLUOR Cyrptosporidium/Giardia test kit (IFA) and acid-fast staining may improve detection in the feces. Treatment with hyperimmune bovine colostrum (HBC) may be effective in some cases, especially in snakes. Treatment with human anticoccidial drugs +/- HBC may be more effective for lizards and tortoises

Hope this info helps you out.

Nick Bonn

Old 12-19-2004, 11:14 AM   #6
nicolai
also...

You may also want to post this subject/question on the "Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues " forum. You may get a lot more answers and ideas from the people that frequent that forum on fauna.

Nick Bonn

Old 12-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #7
Stevefromsd
Thanks for the info Nick.

Old 12-25-2004, 02:13 PM   #8
Stevefromsd
She just puked again. This time 4 or 5 days after she ate!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm starting to think it might be time to just put her down.

Old 12-25-2004, 02:19 PM   #9
ChaosCat
Take the regurge and put it in the refrigerator, then take it into your vet when the vet is open, and have them test it for bacteria.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!