Will red ear sliders eat pinkies? and is it healthy? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:09 AM   #1
Hognose_311
Question Will red ear sliders eat pinkies? and is it healthy?

Old 10-08-2004, 09:04 AM   #2
Herp-Titude
I don't believe so....and wouldn't want to...

Also, red ears can only eat while in the water. I would suggest sticking to pellets (turtle food), super worms and shrimp for the younger turts. As they grow into adult hood, they are more in to veggies.
You can also feed feeder guppies and goldfish on occassion.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
Hognose_311
well mines almost full grown, and what kind of vegetables??
and that definiteley means i have to stop feeding him goldfish so often..... and also...how much do you think i could sell a pair of breeding eastern box turtles for?

Old 10-08-2004, 06:29 PM   #4
Herp-Titude
If you have had him feeding on goldfish, you could try weening him off of those (if you want).

I had a rescue last year that was fed nothing but goldfish for 10 years. It took me about 3 weeks to get him converted.

Basically, start offering him pellets and also start throwing in a handful of mixed greens. I give mine, escarole, endive, romaine and dandelion (to name a few). I tear it up in 2" to 3" pieces and throw in his tub. Before long he really looked forward to the salads. I also supplemented with the pellets.

I really don't know about the EBT's. You could try looking through the classifieds to see what the going rate for those are.
Good luck!

Old 10-09-2004, 03:04 PM   #5
Hognose_311
Well i feed him pellets also, he's not quite full grown, but hes only a year old about, so i dont think i would have a problem like that rescue turtle, but thanks for the advice.

Old 10-09-2004, 09:50 PM   #6
Herp-Titude
I must of misunderstood. I was under the impression your turt was full grown.

At only a year old he/she is not full grown and won't reach maturity for several more years. You can still cut out the gold fish and just feed pellets, krill and even shrimp. You can get both krill and shrimp in the frozen form and offer it once or twice a week.

I doubt very seriously at 1 year of age your turtle will eat greens, but you can offer them and see what happens. Don't get discouraged if he/she won't eat them, it is still pretty early in the age. Although, I have heard of people feeding greens at this age but it just took a little doing on their part.

Good Luck

Old 10-10-2004, 11:54 AM   #7
Hognose_311
thank you very much

Old 11-01-2004, 07:47 PM   #8
gfisher2002
I've had many of my RES's eat pinkies. I only use frozen though, seems kind of cruel to let a live one drownd before it dies. Toss a frozen into hot hot water for a minute to thaw it. Then toss it in. They are fatty though so don't make it a daily habit. And dip it in calcium powder first. Some will come off, but not all.

Old 01-06-2005, 12:07 PM   #9
user*name
Pinkies

:eatpointe Your RES will probably eat pinkies, but Ill have to agree with tort crazed in saying that they are fatty, and they dont have a lot of calcium due to insufficient bone development. And IMO goldfish are a great way to transmit parasites to you turtle. I work in a petstore and know a lot of the aquatic distributors and wholesalers. They ship us feeders by the 500 lot in a big plastic bag with sometimes a 60-70% mortality rate. They also dump a ton of chemicals in their ponds, the most harmful is copper sulfate to control algae- which can be harmful to turtle in large doses.

If you want a cool turtle that will eat live rodents, get a large common snapper or alligator snapper. A mature alli snapper can snatch a duck out of the water and down in in a couple of gulps. thats really cool.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!