Burmese bite? Release? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-10-2005, 12:34 AM   #1
Ndecent240
Question Burmese bite? Release?

I have always had red-tail boas, been bit a few times, usually a careless mistake on my part caused it. My boas always tended to bite and retract quickly, basically a "back-off" type bite. They never took hold and wrapped. My question may be a stupid question, but just let me know. I just recently got my second burmese python. He is about 3.5' long right now. Never been bit by a burm, so I just want to know if they tend to take hold, or give the warning style bite. Also, is lemon juice the best way to make them release if they do take hold? I have been told to always kepp the squeezable juice around, and squirt some in their mouth if they bite and hold. Is this true, and if so, is it safe for the snake? I know it will burn like hell for me on an open wound, but I'm more concerned about him in that situation. Again, sorry for the dumb question, but any info will help. THANKS!!!

Old 02-10-2005, 12:59 AM   #2
Karen Hulvey
I'm no expert on burmese pythons. My boss has 6 that are 8'+ and one that is about 16'. I've never been bitten by any of the big ones. They're actually very docile as long as they know it's you and not a rabbit. The biggest one that bit me was about 4'. It bit and let go.

Last year he had 60 albino burmese hatch and I took care of those hatchlings.
I've found that the babies all bite and turn loose, that is unless they think they're going to eat and then they bite and wrap. I learned this pretty fast. The one that wrapped would not let go, no amt. of prying or even waiting would make him let go. I went to the faucet to run water on him and when I turned it on apparently someone had just used the hot water because a blast of hot water came out, even tho' I turned on the cold, and the snake immediately released my hand.

A few weeks later my boss had a feeding accident with a 15' tiger retic. It bit his hand and would not let go. He drug her out of the cage knocking things down and making an awful noise. He had cold water running in the sink filling a water dish at the same time. With all the commotion, I went in to see what he was doing and my first thought was "gosh why does he have the big retic out like that". Then it hit me, DOH, it must have bit him. He was holding her head under the water. Her head is as big as his hand! She has huge teeth too.

I asked him what I could do and he said basically nothing. She'll let go when she wants to. I told him about the baby albino turning loose immediately w/hot water. I turned on the hot and the retic immediately turned him loose. He was amazing. He was calm, cool and collected the whole time. I guess that's how you have to be when handling these large snakes.

Old 02-10-2005, 04:52 AM   #3
DAND
Like Karen said, hot water works the best and quickest for anything that gets a hold but won't let go.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!