Couple questions about Nosy Be Panther??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-30-2005, 11:59 AM   #1
oxnardCHAM
Question Couple questions about Nosy Be Panther???

when building a cage, is hardware cloth bad, or what is the best to use?

How many cric's should an adult Nosy Be panther eat per day??

Also what are the best temps for them?

Old 08-30-2005, 04:02 PM   #2
Chris Anderson
With hardware cloth, you need to be careful about foot and nail damage. Many people use it all the time without any problem (I have it one some of my larger cages). One thing that will help is to provide a large cage with plenty of variety in branches (mounting angle, cover access, etc.) and plenty of foliage without making the cage feel too crampt. By making a large enclosure with a comfortable interior, a lot of chams won't climb the sides at all. Also, be sure to use a wire size that won't catch the nails and tear them out. 1/4" to 1/2" (use appropriate to animal's size) will work well. You'll need to watch out and if your chameleon does start climbing on the sides, keep an eye out for foot damage so you can remove him if needed and treat it. You can get plastic coated wire mesh but it is more expensive. Otherwise, you might consider a material like what repteriums are made of as this will be easier on their feet. Unfortunately, if you have feeders loose in the cage, they can eat through this material. There are pros and cons to each so you'll need to decide what works best for you.

You can't really just ask for a number of crickets per day. Different animals have different metabolisms and needs. Further, what you are feeding the crickets will have a drastic effect as well. These articles (and others in the article reference section of www.chameleonnews.com) may help you with understanding their needs:
http://www.chameleonnews.com/year200...n_sept_02.html
http://www.chameleonnews.com/gutload.html

With regard to temps, you need to setup a cage with an effective temperature gradient (http://www.chameleonnews.com/year200...gradients.html). I prefer with all my chameleons to allow them access to temps in the mid to low 70s with access to adequate basking spots thereby allowing them to decide what they want. You should gain a pretty good idea how comfortable the cham is with the temps based on how much it is basking, etc.

Chris

Old 08-30-2005, 08:14 PM   #3
dragonflyreptiles
I used commercial 260 gallon reptariums with my previous Nosy's but as Chris mentioned if food is left in the cage it can and will chew out. A lot of people do use the coated mesh garden wire with great success but Ive never tried it personally.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!