Best nephrurus to start with... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #1
EndoZ
Best nephrurus to start with...

I want to get a pair of knob-tails and was wondering what species is the best to start out with. Also, can anyone point me in the direction of some good sites on husbandry?
Thanks,
Neal

Old 10-03-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
CrazyRhacos
nephrurus are a pricey gecko.... i would say levis levis....they are relitively cheap and easy to breed...but if u want the high end knobies i would say wheeleri or ameya..but thouse are thousands of dollers...but if u got the money ..then go for it....

i would say to look at texas lizard connection. they have some care for them..or check out some of the other fourm sites(geckosunlimited.com and geckoworld.com)
hope this helps out...nephrurus are great species...cant wait to get them....

jeff

Old 10-04-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
Derek
Hi Neal,

I would recommend starting out with species belonging to the levis complex (N.l.levis, N.l.occdientalis, N.l.pilbarensis). They are relatively hardy and can be kept in simplistic set-ups. I know it may be tempting to begin with some of the higher end species, but I honestly do not think that is the best way to go.

I am not aware of any sites with a good care-sheet on these geckos, but like CrazyRhacos said, the forums are a good start. Hope this helps.

Derek

Old 10-04-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
EndoZ
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking N. levis levis or one of the subspecies would be best. I wouldn't want to get one of the higher end species and have something go wrong. At what age do they mature? Is it usually at a certain weight threshold that they are able to breed at?
Thanks,
Neal

Old 10-04-2005, 11:39 PM   #5
CrazyRhacos
u can tell the sex of an animal by 5 months..and can breed around a year...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!