New Leo, lots of questions - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-28-2006, 08:30 PM   #41
Xelas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Reef
I'm a noobie to Leos. However, not to fish. Xelas do some research on frozen silversides if you are simply handfeeding. Thaw them out, they are almost boneless, and packed with protein. Digestion with these particular fish isn't a problem. Sprinkle them, then wiggle them in front of your BDs.

The biggest drawback to goldfish are they simply aren't nutritionally dense. Additionally, seeing a fish chomped up and have its guts splattered all over is kinda gross and messy. The last thing I'd want to do is create a mess inside of the reptiles habitat. Lemme know how it works out...
Omg, I can't believe I never thought of that. Glad to see someone else knows something about something instead of talking about nothing. Thx for the comment, Project Reef.

It is true that goldfish are not nutritionally dense, but gut-loading helps. I usually feed my goldfish seaweed or vegi-flakes for 3 days before i feed them to my dragons/geckos, and right before I actually feed them, I give them soggy dog food until they look like they are gonna burst. I also drop in some clumped calcium powder from time to time. Goldfish are very messy fish, and their slime worries me, but I don't feed them to the lizards often enough to give them stomach or digestion problems, but like i mentioned before, when beginning to feed lizards fish, their poop gets a bit runny.

The fish are not big enough to make it difficult for the lizards to eat them, but they always have a problem positioning their heads the right way. My male dragon, who eats them more frequently and enjoys them, knows exactly how to get at them without my help. My female on the other hand, if not hand fed has difficulty grabbing them (if she is interested at all) and she'd rather tear it all up into pieces, but she finishes when she starts.

I thought about Mollies, they are big and are as prolific as guppies, but require around 9 months to get to a worth-while size. But, Project Reef, what do you think about Sardines? I've never tried them, but I've heard that some are salty. Is this true? I think it would be a bad idea to feed any lizard salt, but what do you think about them? Could you think of any other fish that would be good for feeding?

Old 10-29-2006, 01:55 AM   #42
Leighanne
Don't know much about fish nutrition but if I was you I'd be doing my research BEFORE feeding them. The bones once again worry me. Sardines..salt. I wouldn't do it. Salt dries things out. I don't know about bigger Beardies but Leos have less body mass for a salty Sardine. Eat a Sardine and then you'll know if their salty. I wouldn't do it with the Leos though like I said. I wouldn't want to dehydrate them. Thats my two sense.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:57 PM   #43
Project Reef
Hi Xelas,

I agree with the above poster. Sardines are way too salty bud. The frozen silversides would be your best bet. They almost feel like squishy french fries once they are thawed out - very soft. There shouldn't be any real concern for chewing these and digesting them properly. Once you feel them you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!