ETB's and handling - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
MaelStrom
ETB's and handling

Hey everyone.
I am intersted in getting an Emerald Tre boa, but theres one aspect about them that I am unsure of. How are they when it comes to handling? I have read many opinions; that Basins are more calm then the northern ones, that they are both extremely tame, that they are unsuitable to being handled due the amount of pits they are equipped with, that they can be clam and trustworth with lots of handling ect. So I am asking the people who actually have them. Is it based solely on the individual animal( IE you can get one that is spawn of satan or one that is puppy dog tame?)? I would get this as a pet that I can both enjoy handling and looking at.
Thanks!

Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
kimnrick04
I have a pair that can not be held. All the ones I have seen in person at shows were the same way. I have heard that thats their nature. They say that about retics but all of mine are as tame as they come. From MY experience, I wouldn't recommend someone getting one for a pet. Good luck if you do get one.
Rick

Old 11-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
MaelStrom
Thanks. After some more reading, I decided against it. If I do get one, it would be expecting not to be able to handle it, and if I could, lucky me

Old 11-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Cjacques
This really is a individual animal situation. I have three ETBs and all can be handled to a certain degree. I have one I would trust with small children the others not so much. However none of my ETBs have ever struck at me. ever. But these are definitely not snakes for the inexperienced. Just my thoughts

Old 11-26-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
chondrogal
I have had just a few basins, no experience with Northerns. My own basins are the most docile of any of the snakes in my collection, and I have quite a few very nice snakes too.

I suppose I could handle them often, but don't do it often since they always perch right where I can watch them. I have several friends that also say basins are quite nice, and that many of the other locales can be too. Seems to be that the "trick" is to purchase captive bred babies/juvies. You can ask the disposition on them before purchase too.

If you really like the looks of them.... and they're hard to resist..... then don't write them off right away. Just wait for the right time and right snake

Old 11-26-2007, 11:48 PM   #6
ravensgait
Arboreal snakes are not known for being touchy feely kinds of animals. I've kept a whole bunch of Emeralds both Northerns and Basins the later being the easier going of the two. Basins tend to be pretty laid back and I've had a few Northerns that were pretty easy going and didn't seem to mind being handled but I'd say the majority would just as soon be left alone. They are more for looking at than playing with.

If you really want an arboreal snake that seems to like being handled try a Madagascar tree boa or Solomon island tree boa they are far less nippy and really nice looking animals. Hope this helps some...Randy

Old 11-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
MaelStrom
Thanks everyone. yeah raven I would already have myself a nice green phase madagascar tree boa, but they are so exepnsive Maybe in a couple years

Old 11-27-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
MaelStrom
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=33&de=547649
SOOO tempting...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!