DHL's new sucky stunt!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
varnyard
DHL's new sucky stunt!!

This suxs, that's all I can say. My local DHL has now changed hours, 11:30 AM-3:30 PM, and thats not all, they claim by using a plane they are loosing 600,000.00 a year. So, they now no longer use a plane to ship from Panama city to Pensacola, they are using a truck. This truck leaves at 5 PM, and drives for two hours to the Pensacola airport.

This means my live reptiles would be riding in the back of a truck 4 hours before sunset. There is no way that I am going to ship live animals at 5 PM on a truck as hot as it is here.

I was also told that FedEx does the same thing, so that leaves UPS, and they suck here, or USPS, these are the only two that fly out of Panama city. And I know about USPS, I would be shipping young tegus, and they are allowed.

Or I could use ice packs in each box and continue to use DHL, what do you guys think?

Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
dutchallison00
I don't know what the answer is to your problem, but to help the process of elimination I'd suggest that you avoid DHL like the plague. If you like paying for next day before noon shipping only to have $600 in snakes shipped all over the country (Illinois, Michigan, Tennessee, Louisiana, and now back to Tennessee) by truck for 8 days and counting and be told that there's absolutely nothing short of an act of God that will get them either back to you or to the customer in a time frame where they'd have even a remote chance of surviving... then I'd suggest DHL. Otherwise I'd definitely look into something else. The consolation prize is that after a fiasco like the one I just described (which is still going on by the way) there's at least a 50/50 chance that I'll get my $48 in shipping costs back in the timely fashion of somewhere within the next 90 business days..... if I fill out the elaborate paperwork that is. In case you can't tell, I'm not a big fan of DHL... they could give me free shipping for the rest of my life and I wouldn't send so much as a Christmas card to my next door neighbor with them. Have you checked out Reptster?

Old 08-16-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
dimperdoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchallison00
they could give me free shipping for the rest of my life and I wouldn't send so much as a Christmas card to my next door neighbor with them. Have you checked out Reptster?
I agree with this here. DHL should go out of business. And, that's simply because they don't service my area. If I had a fiasco like that occur

Old 10-15-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
JMExotics
DHL SUCKS! we got an account with them a few weeks ago. I emailed them about the shipping live animal agreement within 2 days a guy got back to me with it said that i could ship my turtles but not my geckos with them!!! On the agreement it says lizards (non venomous) allowed. So I email them back asking why not the geckos and today I get this

"Dear Monica,

Thank you for your reply.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. Unfortunately, live bees, birds, insects (venomous), lizards (venomous), mammals, reptiles, snakes and animal remains or parts thereof are a prohibited transport item. It is suggested that you contact a major passenger airline for further assistance.

If I can be of further assistance please advise.

Thank you for using DHL.

Rachel
DHL Express
Customer Service"

This was the first email from them and the agreement was attached

"Dear Monica,

Thank you for contacting DHL.

DHL does ship Turtles, but we do not ship Geckos within United States. If you wish to ship the live animals, you have to fill the "Agreement to Transport Small Live Animals." Please fax the form to (954)626-1621.

Please advise if you need any further assistance.

Thank you for using DHL.

Raymond
DHL Express
Customer Service"

Here is the list on the agreement

This agreement sets forth the terms and conditions under which DHL Express (USA), Inc. (“DHL”) will transport shipments of one of the following (“Live Animals”) for and on behalf of Customer. (Please select appropriate commodity from list)
Tortoises / Turtles☐ Frogs(non-venomous)☐ Insects (non-venomous)☐
Fish☐ Crab☐ Lobster☐
Crawfish☐ Worms☐ Lizards (non-venomous) ☐

Looks like i will stick to UPS

Old 10-16-2008, 03:07 AM   #5
Ed Clark
DHL is the absolute worst, you would have a better chance giving the package to the kid next door on a bike to deliver it cross country.

I have been using Fedex Priority for many years and the package gets delivered every time before 10:30 am next day.

I can't ever remember them being late with a box of herps.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
Cat_72
Fedex has NEVER been to my house before 11:30, usually I can count on them right around 12:30, no matter what time the shipment is guaranteed by. UPS is worse, I'm lucky if they will get here by 2 in the afternoon (it's been as late as after 7 pm on one occasion). I've only had a couple of packages from DHL, and I think they were actually close to being on time, but then I think they said they'd be there by noon.

Personally, I think they all suck to some degree, and you'll find idiots at each one that don't know what is allowed to be shipped as well. It all boils down to which one seems to suck the least in your area.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
RowingMunkeyCU
See, what we (the government) need to do is force all shipping companies to be 100% responsible for the full replacement costs of the packages they ship, without having to purchase ANY extra insurance. That's how it works for everyone except shipping companies...

For example: If I were to loan my Xbox to my co-worker, and during the time my co-worker had possession of the Xbox, it was stolen from him. He would be 100% responsible for the replacement of the Xbox.

It should be no different for these scamming companies. If they were forced to take responsibility for what they do, they would actually put effort into properly shipping the goods for which they were paid.

Check out Microsoft vs. DHL

Old 10-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
The times with any shipping company that delivers door to door, varies depending on where a person lives. i absolutely NEVER get packages before 12 in almost every case when i get animals(ive had an exception or two when my Fed Ex driver has a real early day). I used to, when i lived elsewhere, but currently not where i live now. ( even when BOTH places i get stuff delivered to are business addresses) 3pm and later is about average.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!