HR2811 Passes Full Committee - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
xanaxez
HR2811 Passes Full Committee

This Just in from the House Judiciary Committee Regarding HR2811 Markup:

The full committee has just considered H.R. 2811.

Subcommittee Chairman Bobby Scott (D-VA) asked that his statement be placed into the record.

Full Committee Ranking Member Lamar Smith (R-TX) mentioned the recent python related death and stated the bill was needed to prevent any further accidents. He announced his support of the bill about to be amended.

Bill Co-Sponsor Rep. Tom Rooney (R-FL) offered his amendment to narrow the scope of the bill to 2 "real threats" to the restoration of the Everglades. He added the bill was needed because of the still pending petition to add pythons to the Lacey Act... 3 years after being submitted to USFWS by the South Florida Water Management District.

The Rooney Amendment to include only the Burmese and the African Rock Pythons was then passed by voice vote.

The amended bill HR2811 was then passed by voice vote.

As promised by Committee Staff, Rep. Rooney's Staff and Rep. Meek's Staff, HR2811 was amended to limit the scope of the bill to only two snakes. Staff renewed their commitment to work with USARK over the August recess to hammer out language for an amendment prior to a vote on the House Floor allowing the captive bred trade of the affected snakes to continue. USARK is dedicated to making sure all the Burm and Afrock breeders will be able to continue to operate their businesses. We will work hard to preserve your place as a legal business concern within the Reptile Nation Family.

HR2811 had bi-partisan support and flew through the Subcommittee and Full Committee even with hundreds of calls and faxes opposing it. Fortunately, USARK was able to convince Committee Staff and the Sponsors that this Bill would be incredibly damaging to an entire sector of the economy if not amended. To their credit they listened. They had not heard our side of this issue before. It seemed to them a very simple bill. We illustrated our concerns and they understood it was not necessary to destroy the Reptile Industry over this issue. They did not have to listen. The votes were overwhelmingly there to pass HR2811 intact.

USARK would like to thank Congressman Meek and his staff, majority and minority Judiciary Committee Staff, Congressman Rooney and his Staff, Congressman Gohmert and his Staff, and Congressman Scott and his staff for listening to the concerns of the Reptile Nation and for working with us in good faith. We look forward to continuing to work to fine tune this bill through the month of August.

This is a real Victory for the Reptile Nation! This whole situation could easily have led to the end of the Reptile Community. Thanks to the hard work of the Reptile Nation we have turned a bad situation good. Animal Rights organizations can no longer slander us at will. Washington now wants to know where we stand on these issues. We are working hard to make sure they understand the realities behind what we do, not the fairy tales being bandied about as if they are fact. We now have a voice... the voice of the Reptile Nation! You are now being heard loud and clear. Thank you for all the support!

WITHOUT YOU THIS WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE!!!

Click here to donate $10 with dollar for dollar matching from Zoo Med

http://usark.org/donate.php

Click here to Join The Reptile Nation with dollar for dollar matching from Zoo Med

http://www.usark.org/join.php

Old 07-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
R. Eventide
I'm ecstatic that the amendment passed.

However, it is still utterly asinine that a bill like this be proposed/passed (with or without the amendment) due to one death. Yes, it is tragic, but how many kids are mauled and killed by dogs every year? I don't care about fractions; the proponent of this bill specifically stated this one death was reason enough for the bill.

I would like to know if any proponents of the bill mentioned anything about the environmental impact at all...or if their only arguing point was saving kids from wild, ravaging Burms!

Sorry, I know all this I'm mentioning is but willful ignorance makes me want to punch things.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
Joolissa
I agree. Yes, the burms in the everglades are a problem, yes it is tragic that there have been deaths from snakes that were not secured properly etc. etc., but a bill to require a permit that was just hard enough to get that the idiots who don't know what they're doing would think twice would do a whole heck of a lot more than this bill! Not to mention that this seems like one more step down the slippery slope of making more and more animals illegal. *sigh* Okay enough beating the poor horse.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
Wolfy-hound
I have to say, I think it has little to do with the child's death. This was in process before the death, it's more about using the everglades as the excuse.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
Tiger Lilly
This is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
I have to say, I think it has little to do with the child's death. This was in process before the death, it's more about using the everglades as the excuse.
I agree with you Theresa; unfortunately, the timing of the little girl's death couldn't have been worse (don't get me wrong, ANY time wouldn't have been acceptable to me), because the government is looking for a way to ban them. And just call me suspicious by nature, but I still have my reservations that the snake actually killed the little girl--but that is my personal opinion.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
Wolfy-hound
I'm suspicious also.

I just wanted to point out that the legislation was not crafted in reply to the child's death. It's been in the works a long time. Tragic that the death was, it has nothing to do with banning everyone else's animals. Just because a dog kills a kid, no one proposes banning dogs.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxez View Post
They did not have to listen.
Right there is exactly what is wrong with our government and our citizenship.

They should have to listen, and when they dont we as citizens should rise up and MAKE them listen. Instead we have became a nation of sheep that just quietly does what it is told regardless of the injustice and unfairness that the government lays upon us. And I am not talking about reptile issues here folks, this goes much deeper than that.

I love my Country, but I hate my government.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
Just because a dog kills a kid, no one proposes banning dogs.
Actually, that last sentence is untrue...there are breed specific bans in many cities across the country. Thankfully, though, they haven't hit the national level.
I do agree that the recent death had nothing to do with the legislation, it was just thrown in as fuel to sway sentiment.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
R. Eventide
Yes, I'm aware this has been in the works for some time and that this recent death was just used as a catalyst. I was more referring to this statement,

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxez View Post
Full Committee Ranking Member Lamar Smith (R-TX) mentioned the recent python related death and stated the bill was needed to prevent any further accidents. He announced his support of the bill about to be amended.

which makes it seem like, in this particular case/argument/meeting, the proponents of the bill could care less about the Everglades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap View Post
Right there is exactly what is wrong with our government and our citizenship.

They should have to listen, and when they dont we as citizens should rise up and MAKE them listen. Instead we have became a nation of sheep that just quietly does what it is told regardless of the injustice and unfairness that the government lays upon us. And I am not talking about reptile issues here folks, this goes much deeper than that.

I love my Country, but I hate my government.
HEAR, HEAR!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!