No rules or ruthless enforcement of the rules? - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

View Poll Results: No rules, or strictly enforced rules?
To heck with the rules, I just want to be entertained here. 16 5.32%
Strictly enforce the rules! Without them, the BOI is worthless. 285 94.68%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2004, 09:19 AM   #91
Rainbowboaman
WEbslave,
I think you give to many chances with warnings. I saw some members that have over 30. How about a 5 strike rule. If you feel it fair to offer them back after paying a fine, make the fine more like $25.00 to at least cover some of the time spent in monitoring the problem posters. If they don't come back who cares as they are usually just a nuisance to the site & don't really have anything of substance to add the this site anyway.

Old 02-11-2004, 11:42 AM   #92
terryp
Hi Rich -
I voted for rules with strict interpretation and enforcement. We need rules in forums, etc. so we all follow along the same guides and a thread can be read by others and it is not jumping all around.
I see two options right off that might help and be inline with the rules:

1. When someone sends you a whining email, give them another warning for breaking the rules because there is a "SOUND OFF" forum on this site. They aren't following the forum categories.

2. Add a new rule; No whining emails.

I think I'll go over to the SOUND OFF forum and see if any members have posted on it about any of the rules they are whining about. Whining when you get a warning isn't because you think the rule is bad. Whining when you get a warning is because you are mad you made a mistake or got caught.

Actually you are making it more effort on your part Rich. Instead of sorting through and reading and evaluating the forums on your website and making rules to keep the website flowing, you could not make any rules. Whenever you see something posted or happening on your website you don't like or you feel like letting out some energy, you can send them a warning they did something you don't like. You don't have to explain or evaluate any violations.

BTW - we only break or ignore your rules because catching us and slapping our hands on your web site is why you have this site. LOL. I thought it made you happier.

Terry Parks

Old 02-11-2004, 03:02 PM   #93
Greg Maxwell
Rules are essential!

I would advocate having as few rules as are necessary, and then enforcing them!

I speak from experience as an Administrator of the ChondroWeb Forums. One of the reasons we began the ChondroForums was to have an alternative to the unregulated garbage going on at the time on the Kingsnake GTP forum.

Rules are essential to having a clean and professional forum, in the same way that laws are required for a safe and orderly society. Of course, too many rules are bad, as is not enforcing the rules that exist. On the ChondroForums, we have always sought to have a balance. By most counts, we have succeeded very well.

There will always be rule breakers, and those who do not like to have to follow rules. The majority of users will greatly benefit from this minority being held to accountability.

I think the BOI performs a valuable service, but confess to seldom reading it due to the endless debates. I think a rule allowing any registered user to make one post, and one follow-up post, per thread would go a long way towards bringing some needed order here. Of course, discussion topics on other forums here and elsewhere are interesting and beneficial. But on the BOI, it doesn't take dozens of posts and multiple pages of dialog from the same poeple, to get an understanding of a situation and whether a vendor deserves future business.

Old 02-11-2004, 06:49 PM   #94
Brian Oakley
I do not see that letting someone know (OWNER of the site) of infractions is being a 'narc'. What people fail to realize is that it is NOT our right to post here it is a gift/privelage from Rich.
Now, before I go on, yes I have two warnings. First one, I just let someone get the best of me and I strayed off topic. The second was quoting a third party. I have never used foul language to anyone or anyting near some of the other things I have seen on this site, even in the last day or two. That does ot make me better than anyone as I did not abide by the rules, bottom line.
With that said, the thing that people fail to see is a simple word........respect . I know, I know, that applies to me as well.
If one cannot follow the rules of the site, they are not showing respect of the owner. The rules that do apply in alot of cases, if followed, show respect towards yourself . Point is, I see alot of people that have zero self respect. That in itself is more disappointing/sad than the warning points themselves.
If one does not like to have the rules inforced, it is very simple.......they can leave the site! Pretty black and white to me. If they do not want to leave and do not want to abide by the rules, then face the punishment.
I think the 5 rule point is a little low. I do agree that 100 pts. is a little much. If people were kicked off the site for 5 warning pts. we would lose some good people.
Most infractions occur from obvious trolls who 'pick' and 'pick' and then, only being human, one responds. Not an excuse but that is what happened to me. I respect the fact that Rich had to do what he did, but I was also embarrassed. I had never been 'called down on' because of my actions on any public forum, anywhere!
Back to my original reason for posting here is I can see where Rich may not want to 'hire' more Mods. On the other hand, like he has explained before, there is way to muchinfo to catch everything. If someone can help and notify Rich when they see it, then great!
Is there any difference that calling the cops if you see a fight or someone driving careless? You are not the law and the 'law' did not see it themselves. So if you call and report it, is that being a 'narc' or looking out for the better of the people as a whole?

Just my thoughts......

Old 02-16-2004, 07:03 AM   #95
DAND
Quote:
Originally posted by brucestephenson
Narcs eat _ _ _ _!
Bruce,

You obviously have it or you would not have left a few blanks in your post.

Guidance is something we all need, some more than others (i.e. Webslaves latest problem child Vince )

You are entitled to your opinion, but remember that opinions are like bleepholes, everyone has one and they all stink. Bruce, you are an opinion.

WEBSLAVE,

Hey man, you're driving this bad boy and doing a great job. You seem to know where you are going. There has been and will be more bumps in the road, as well as a few unwanted passengers who will be complaining the whole way. For those individuals I say either walk or sit down and shut up!

Dave Gruning

Old 02-26-2005, 10:00 PM   #96
brucestephenson
Interesting! I had forgotten about the previous post. Why bring it up now?

Old 02-26-2005, 10:27 PM   #97
brucestephenson
Oh, I see! You dinged Topshelf too. I am not complaining about the rules. You may post my reply to your warning point Rich, if you so desire.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:57 PM   #98
Rockford
Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Owens
To those members who want strict enforcement,
If the members help us out by serving as our eyes and ears, then we can do a much better job policing the forum. There is far too much volume here for us to try to read every post. Please let us know when you see someone violating the rules so that we can do something about it.

Thanks!
I don't think the policing here is very fair but who said life was fair anyway. I got 3 warning points for calling someone out and calling them a moron. Did I deserve my warining points, sure I guess...you be the judge and read my post and the thread.

I was told to quit being an A-hole with all the spelling intact just the other day and that member did not recieve warning. Webslave was on that thread so it was not a matter of lack of the post being seen. Oh well. I am not going to whine and moan about it nor am I about to tattle tell on someone.

I see a few people getting out of hand with their posts, calling folks names, etc(even though they might deserve it). And it is somewhat annoying to see people get away with it but again I am not going to B and C.

I am for strict enforcement but when you slap one's hand you had better slap them all!!

Take care-

bthacker

Old 02-27-2005, 12:03 AM   #99
Sasheena
This is a year-old thread... why the resurrection?

Old 02-27-2005, 01:44 AM   #100
cyberfrog
Did a 44 year old man call someone or something a narc?? Just checking....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!