No rules or ruthless enforcement of the rules? - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

View Poll Results: No rules, or strictly enforced rules?
To heck with the rules, I just want to be entertained here. 16 5.32%
Strictly enforce the rules! Without them, the BOI is worthless. 285 94.68%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2005, 02:52 AM   #101
Rockford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasheena
This is a year-old thread... why the resurrection?
I didn't even notice the date. It does however seem relevant considering some of the posts I have been seeing and the moderators stating they want to clean up the site.

Hope my post doesn't offend anyone.... this being a year old thread.

bthacker

Old 02-27-2005, 12:34 PM   #102
Sasheena
Well I don't really feel like going back and re-reading the thread, as I followed it avidly a year ago...

it may or may not be obvious, but the fee system that has been instigated is one of the RESULTS of this thread! one of the ways to clean up the BOI was to get rid of the people always coming in with fake ID's and throwing a wrench in the works.

Another method that Webslave has stated he will use to "clean up the BOI" is a much more ruthless enforcement of the rules. Now that it is a pay-only forum, in a sense, we're paying him for his time to make sure that posts are exactly as they should be. Breaking the rules will be less tolerated. Posting threads in the wrong place will bring suspension and fines if warnings are not heeded.

The point I was making about this thread being a year old is that it is a MOOT point.... it was part of a decision making process once upon a time, it was discussed, and NOW the resulting implementation is taking place. Most of the discussion on this thread relates to how the BOI was BEFORE implementation of the fees.

In any case, i'm only prolonging the life of this once-dead thread by continuing to respond.

Old 02-27-2005, 12:48 PM   #103
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bthacker
I don't think the policing here is very fair but who said life was fair anyway. I got 3 warning points for calling someone out and calling them a moron. Did I deserve my warining points, sure I guess...you be the judge and read my post and the thread.

I was told to quit being an A-hole with all the spelling intact just the other day and that member did not recieve warning. Webslave was on that thread so it was not a matter of lack of the post being seen. Oh well. I am not going to whine and moan about it nor am I about to tattle tell on someone.

I see a few people getting out of hand with their posts, calling folks names, etc(even though they might deserve it). And it is somewhat annoying to see people get away with it but again I am not going to B and C.

I am for strict enforcement but when you slap one's hand you had better slap them all!!

Take care-

bthacker
Sorry, but it doesn't work that way around here. What may be a mountain to you may only be a molehill to me or the moderators. I don't read the prattle that everyone posts here. In most cases, someone will report a post and I or the moderators will ONLY read that one post and nothing else in a thread. If that one post deserves warning points, it will get them. If there are others in that thread that deserve warning points as well, they may go on without any penalties simply because we did not read them.

I guess I am expecting too much from people to think they will act like mature adults in a publicly viewable forum..........

Old 02-27-2005, 01:10 PM   #104
Rockford
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
In most cases, someone will report a post and I or the moderators will ONLY read that one post and nothing else in a thread. If that one post deserves warning points, it will get them. If there are others in that thread that deserve warning points as well, they may go on without any penalties simply because we did not read them.

I guess I am expecting too much from people to think they will act like mature adults in a publicly viewable forum..........
So what you are saying is if I would have tattled on that person that said I was being an A-hole than you would have slapped them with points? Or if I e-mail you or private message you that someone is being a little out of line, you will take notice?

It shouldn't fall on member's shoulders to police the forum, however I do agree that you may expecting too much for some to act as mature adults.

bthacker

Old 02-27-2005, 01:44 PM   #105
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bthacker
So what you are saying is if I would have tattled on that person that said I was being an A-hole than you would have slapped them with points? Or if I e-mail you or private message you that someone is being a little out of line, you will take notice?

It shouldn't fall on member's shoulders to police the forum, however I do agree that you may expecting too much for some to act as mature adults.

bthacker
Yes. The reasoning here is that if what is written does not offend a reader enough to complain about it, then it shouldn't be of concern to us either. We do read some of the threads, of course, and when we see posts that deserve warning points, they will get them regardless of someone reporting them, but don't count on that being the rule and not the exception.

And just a reminder here, there is a lot of gray area in this. Something that may be offensive to one person may not necessarily be universally offensive to everyone. In many cases it is a judgement call for all involved. So just because someone reports a post doesn't necessarily mean that I or a moderator will view it the same way as the reporter and automatically assess warning points for it.

BTW, it is NOT being a "tattle tale". It is YOUR helping to try to get this place cleaned up and that sort of gutter talk out of this forum.

The only time it is inappropriate is when two people fighting with each other are constantly reporting the other side, trying to use the warning points system as a weapon against the other.

Old 02-27-2005, 01:54 PM   #106
Rockford
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Yes. The reasoning here is that if what is written does not offend a reader enough to complain about it, then it shouldn't be of concern to us either. We do read some of the threads, of course, and when we see posts that deserve warning points, they will get them regardless of someone reporting them, but don't count on that being the rule and not the exception.

And just a reminder here, there is a lot of gray area in this. Something that may be offensive to one person may not necessarily be universally offensive to everyone. In many cases it is a judgement call for all involved. So just because someone reports a post doesn't necessarily mean that I or a moderator will view it the same way as the reporter and automatically assess warning points for it.

BTW, it is NOT being a "tattle tale". It is YOUR helping to try to get this place cleaned up and that sort of gutter talk out of this forum.

The only time it is inappropriate is when two people fighting with each other are constantly reporting the other side, trying to use the warning points system as a weapon against the other.
Fair enough.....Thanks for clearing things up. I am sure you have your hands full.

bthacker

Old 02-27-2005, 06:51 PM   #107
turtlepimp
Nothing would make this board better than if it was run tighter.Everytime threads go left field,there are fights,or unsubstantiated claims are posted that they could be moderated.Even lawsuits are pretty easy to see coming,so I really don't think it would be hard to do.This site is huge,but there are only four moderators.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:57 AM   #108
WebSlave
With the anticipated reduction on frivolous posts on the BOI, I am confident that the number of moderators now here can handle the workload easily. A BIG part of the $10 admission fee to post here was to help clean up this particular forum. I am hoping that I am trading low quality quantity for a lesser number of higher quality participation.

Time will only tell if this will be successful or not.

Of course I do understand that some of the people who came here solely for the drama and entertainment will be sorely disappointed by this change and probably not frequent here as much, but I think it will be for the better in the long run.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #109
brucestephenson
Sticking to You Guns.

Quote:
With the anticipated reduction on frivolous posts on the BOI, I am confident that the number of moderators now here can handle the workload easily. A BIG part of the $10 admission fee to post here was to help clean up this particular forum. I am hoping that I am trading low quality quantity for a lesser number of higher quality participation.

Time will only tell if this will be successful or not.

Of course I do understand that some of the people who came here solely for the drama and entertainment will be sorely disappointed by this change and probably not frequent here as much, but I think it will be for the better in the long run.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:37 PM   #110
David Scarboro
Thumbs up True

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucestephenson
If you stick to your guns and apply your policies as evenly as possible, I am sure Fauna will actually become more popular than before!
I agree 100%!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!