Fla Fish And Wildlife - Page 11 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:46 PM   #101
KNOBTAIL
Nick, this has nothing to do with our fauna

problem. Its a clear case of what we need to do to protect ourselves from future loss of revenue and animals.

Its going to happen, its just a question of time, and place. The authorities know very well that out of state vendors have less of a chance of putting up a fight if they have to makes trips to the judicial system several times. They will wear you down financially. Thats how this works.

The answer is protection once you are here, and the only way to insure your own survivial at these shows is to have the appropriate council at your side when you get approached with a problem.

Everyone has cell phones, an attorney can be on staff for the 2 days , making sure that your rights are protected. If a problem arises , just call the # and dont say anything until the attorney arrives. He will direct you to take whatever legal actions are required to fulfill your obligation as a permit holder.

If anything, the F/W will be a bit more careful and not as flippant as they tend to be in some instances.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:14 PM   #102
WebSlave
You know, even if you can't get an attorney to be present at a show, perhaps at the very least video taping a confrontation might be worthwhile. That way the "authorities" know that every action they make is being recorded and can be used in testimony. Or wind up on the evening news.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:44 PM   #103
KNOBTAIL
Rich, just out of curiosity

did you have breeding records for all the snakes that had on your table? I wonder if Strictly had records for the amount of herps on his table as well ?

Old 08-26-2005, 10:30 PM   #104
PAUL BOLLINGER
I was working the venomous show and...

Was approached by F/w. The agent was friendly and asked if we were checking for the FL VP. I answered "Of Course". LE folks don't make me apprehensive so I sparked up friendly conversation. What disturbed me was his take of the Venomous "Scene". He told me that his biggest fear was that his son would pick up a "Little Green Snake" and that it would be his last. I told him that I shared his concerns (As a father) but that the majority of venomous keepers were also advocates of responsible husbandry and security practices. He spoke fairly vindictively like I was a small part of the "BIG PROBLEM". I told him that his concerns were misplaced and that there was a far greater threat to his child of picking up one of Florida's Native Venomous. He kind of shrugged it off and continued on his way. There was a strange sense of us and them that could not be broken by friendly conversation and reasoning.....I don't know if this propaganda is professed by the Higher-ups to the subordinates or what, but that's the same mindset that ended with Uncle Morti being taken into custody. If they can't justify their attendance (shows) then they have wasted valuable Man-power therefore they must capitalize on any infraction they can. I pray for a day that everyone both hobbyist and LE realize that we're supposed to be on the same team and can both co-exist without such animosity.

Either way I think the show (for the most part) went well. It was nice meeting a good few of you and I hope to see more of ya'll next year.

Later,
Paul Bollinger

Old 08-26-2005, 10:59 PM   #105
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOBTAIL
did you have breeding records for all the snakes that had on your table? I wonder if Strictly had records for the amount of herps on his table as well ?
Actually I did, but it was accidental, and only for the 2005 babies. I create a spreadsheet that serves as an index for the ID numbers I assign to each baby snake set up. This is so I can cross reference what the genetics of the parents are. However, there were no such records for the adults I brought, nor the 2004 animals. And I would have been pretty surprised if I had been asked for them, as I have no recollection of reading about such records being a requirement for attending the show. Basically having to prove an animal is "legal" in such a manner flies in the face of innocent until proven guilty, in my opinion.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #106
KNOBTAIL
Paul, their is no

sense in trying to maintain a friendly atmosphere with these people. They are not your friends! I know from my own past experience, that I provided them with the paperwork that they required, and maintained silence until they were satisfied with it. Their was no small talk, and I was not interested in their points of view. As a matter of fact, they really have no right in bringing up anything other than the business of checking the permits.

That course of action is the best and the least obtrusive into your own philosophy. Had they made some comment to me about green snakes or anything else that was unrelated to the issue at hand, I simply would have said, " is their anything else I can provide you with , that you need to see" and that would have been it!!!

Old 08-27-2005, 10:15 AM   #107
brucestephenson
I do think that since 9/11, most policemen feel the rules have changed to guilty until proven innocent, extending this in their minds to any offence. Remember that little thing called the Patriot Act? Because of human and police nature, we must always fight for our liberty and rights.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:48 AM   #108
Gregg M
I dont understand what all the crying is about.... You break a clearly written out law, you should be prepared to deal with whatever happens if you get caught....

To be honest, I am glad this went down.... It will keep most of the trash from vending at these shows and will keep the legit people even more honest....

Morti, instead of trying to get by without a permit, why didnt you just spend the money to buy one???

I just cant see how someone can complain about being locked up for breaking a law that was spelled out in plain English.....

Stop crying already....

Old 08-27-2005, 03:24 PM   #109
Dennis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M
I dont understand what all the crying is about.... You break a clearly written out law, you should be prepared to deal with whatever happens if you get caught....

To be honest, I am glad this went down.... It will keep most of the trash from vending at these shows and will keep the legit people even more honest....

Morti, instead of trying to get by without a permit, why didnt you just spend the money to buy one???

I just cant see how someone can complain about being locked up for breaking a law that was spelled out in plain English.....

Stop crying already....
LOL...you have a point there
However not all laws are good and if we accept them as they are,They will become Commonplace and most probably open doors to worse laws which may infact even affect you or me?

Old 08-27-2005, 04:29 PM   #110
Gregg M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1
LOL...you have a point there
However not all laws are good and if we accept them as they are,They will become Commonplace and most probably open doors to worse laws which may infact even affect you or me?
LOL... I am not saying I agree with the the laws (especially in my state) but they are there none the less and should be followed wether you like them or not.... If you fail to comply, you cant complain if you get pinched....

This could have been avoided if people just did not sell 4 inch turtles (federal law) and bought the proper permits in order to vend at the show.... Both of those laws/rules are clearly spelled out and they are not unreasonable laws/rules.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!