Is the Fall From Grace fatal to the Good Guy Certs? - Page 12 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: What do you think...?
Good Guy Certification is irrevocably destroyed by the "Bad Guy" actions 2 4.88%
Good Guy Certification doesn't mean anything. 10 24.39%
I don't think anything has changed. 6 14.63%
I think that the Good Guy Certification program is just great. 2 4.88%
The Good Guy Certification Program has DONE IT'S JOB 20 48.78%
The Good Guy Certification Program is the best part of the BOI 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2005, 10:04 PM   #111
sirenofthestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
As a reminder, the paid memberships requirement is a method of trying to insure the credibility of the people voting in a system that can impact a person's or business's reputation on this site. Having this completely open to any Tom, Dick or Harry, who can register multiple times an d vote any way they please for any REASON they want to, in my opinion just would not serve my intentions and hopes of unbiased voting on the polls and the ratings. It is just a very simple "majority rules" based voting system with the hopes that the majority of people voting will be coming to an honest and truthful as well as accurate consensus about the person or business.
I can see why you're concerned about mutiple user names for one person, but when you said that anyone can vote on the GGC threads, you pretty much guaranteed that people would be voting for whatever reason they saw fit and not a "valid" one. Of course if someone complained I'm sure you'd investigate and assess points if you felt someone was voting just for the sake of voting, but the paying to vote doesn't mean that anyone will think any more logically about why they're voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webslave
I fail to see how this methodology would favor any particular person or company in any way except to make the votings a more realistic view of reality. I think this was addressed before and the claim by some people that paying members would tend to be more biased then non-paying members just doesn't appear to hold water, in my opinion. If someone can adequately convince me otherwise, then I will reevaluate this decision.
No, it makes it an accurate picture of how paying members view a company, not necessarily reality. And as for the claim that paying members are biased, I think anyone only needs to look at the recent ousting of a good guy to someone who made a "bad guy" mistake and how many "regular" members didn't question him as vigorously as they would an unknown to see how there people interpret a bias. Another example would be several "regulars" standing up for a company they knew only by reputation (as they could not recognize the owner from several clear pics of him doing something that is clearly not safe or ethical) and berating a kid for not apologizing, and then themselves not apologizing when the situation became crystal clear.

Quote:
How so? If I believe that someone has posted and especially bad post or an especially good one, how would my voting (which I rarely do) affect anything at all about them that really means anything in the real world?
I thought I made myself clear before, but apparently I was wrong. I am speaking ONLY of reputation points on this board. Not the real world.

Quote:
Do I see posts that probably should be assessed warning points but don't? Absolutely! Sometimes it's just laziness, or sometimes it's just getting tired of the whine-o-grams from people invariably after they get the warning points... Personally, and in my opinion, the more mods I would have, the more problems I would have. Each mod adds their own personalities and more then likely they would piss someone else off as well as myself and the present moderators... it is VERY doubtful I will add anyone who WANTS to be a moderator here, and volunteers uninvited. I will come to them and ASK them from how I see them handle themselves in their postings.
I never volunteered, I never offered up any one person for moderating duty. I've moderated chats and upstart boards, and of course its a "be asked to do it, don't ask for it" situation. Lets also keep in mind, like I said before, the more people there are to do the work, the easier it gets.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:10 PM   #112
sirenofthestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
Then stop complaining. It's your choice to pay and vote or to not pay and not vote. Plain and simple. But as you so aptly alluded to earlier, it's Rich's playground and he gets to make the rules.
Whoa, hold your horses. I am not whining here. I am trying to probe further into why it was changed from all registered members being able to vote to only paying members being able to vote. So please, be a more discerning reader next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyreptiles
Sorry, I found it, you don't want to be a part of a clique and its not a perfect BBB, OK I get it. If you don't want to be a part of a "buy in program" then DON"T, why bother to post at all.
That is not why I don't want to pay, that is why I don't think that the Good Guy Certification is important to me at this point in time. I have homework due online at midnight and I'm leaving town for a day tomorrow so I'm not posting any more tonight. Please feel free to search through my posts back in january-ish for the real reasons I am not going to pay $10 to have my identity verified. I bother to post because a good debate can often clarify positions at the very least, and I think that alone is a valid reason to question why things have been done they way they were.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:10 PM   #113
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirenofthestorm
I can see why you're concerned about mutiple user names for one person, but when you said that anyone can vote on the GGC threads, you pretty much guaranteed that people would be voting for whatever reason they saw fit and not a "valid" one.
When did Rich say that ANYONE can vote on Good Guy Certs?

You may want to do better research:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=64541

Now he may have for a while allowed non paid members to vote but it was structured back in Feb with the beginning of paid members that ONLY paid members would be able to vote due to multiple user name possibilities.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:13 PM   #114
sirenofthestorm
Wendy, real quick, what I meant by that was "anyone, regardless of whether they have or have not done business with the business they're voting on." Does that make it clearer?

Old 07-14-2005, 10:16 PM   #115
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Please feel free to search through my posts back in january-ish for the real reasons I am not going to pay $10 to have my identity verified. I bother to post because a good debate can often clarify positions at the very least, and I think that alone is a valid reason to question why things have been done they way they were.
Sorry if it does't mean enough to you to tell me, it doesn't mean enough to me to care about.

Looks like you bother to post to see how much crap you can stir up!

And who made you King of finding out why things have been done the way they were?

Old 07-14-2005, 10:16 PM   #116
Jim O
Wendy, when Rich made his changes to the site after his "affair" with Chris he very briefly opened it up to all registered members. He then shut it down and required a verified membership again when he realized the potential for abuse.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:19 PM   #117
Lucille
Whitney, get a nice snack and get comfy in front of your computer, and do your assignment, email us if you need help, between all of us someone will be able to lend a hand, and we can chat more when you return here.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:21 PM   #118
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Wendy, real quick, what I meant by that was "anyone, regardless of whether they have or have not done business with the business they're voting on." Does that make it clearer?
Whitney, I think you need to make it clearer the first time, not add to is as you go along.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:22 PM   #119
Jim O
Quote:
Quote:
Then stop complaining.
Whoa, hold your horses. I am not whining here. I am trying to probe further into why it was changed from all registered members being able to vote to only paying members being able to vote. So please, be a more discerning reader next time.
If you are going to ask me to be a discerning reader then be the same and note I never used the term "whining".

As for the reason, I believe that Rich already has answered that. I synopsized his reason as I recall it and as I understood it in my post above.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:24 PM   #120
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Wendy, when Rich made his changes to the site after his "affair" with Chris he very briefly opened it up to all registered members. He then shut it down and required a verified membership again when he realized the potential for abuse.
I knew it changed breifly but if Whitney wants to complain about rules he should be thankful for that "testing the waters" period of freedom and not complain when the rules are enforced.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!