QUESTIONS FOR THE FEMALE SNAKE-OWNERS - Page 12 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #111
SnakeGirl3
1. What type of snake(s) do you own?
Ball pythons. I'd love to branch out one day (specifically, a Peruvian Rainbow boa, a blood python, and either a GTP or an ETB), but right now I don't have the space.

2. What sparked your interest in the particular snake(s) you own?
I wanted a snake that stayed a manageable size for one person, but wanted a heavier-bodied snake than a king or a corn. Also, my space is rather limited as well.

3. Do you have help with your snake(s)?
Not really. My husband would help if I asked though, but I usually don't ask. They're my passion, and I really enjoy caring for them. I only ask for help if I need more than two hands.

4. How tall are you?
5'4"

5. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your size/age?
Not really.

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?

No. It's more about space for me. I'd love to have some other non-venomous snakes, including a burm if I had the space. I also want a gaboon viper (they look so gorgeous, and I think it would be a great learning experience), but unfortunately my state (Tennessee) does not allow for hot ownership. It's not worth it to me to risk my entire collection of ball pythons to keep a gaboon illegally.

7. What is your age group?
26-40 (I'm 28)

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW??
Nope, the snakes came after marriage. In fact, my hubby had a snake that he'd gotten specifically because he knew I liked them while we were still engaged. Now, my mother-in-law is a bit different. She doesn't dislike me or anything because I like/own snakes, but it sure makes her visits few and far between (and that's not a bad thing! LOL).

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass?
Nope. I figure my husband will get them, and if he wants to care for them, he will, and if not, he'll sell them off.

10. Why do you keep the species you work with? What are your goals with them?
Manageable size, and they don't require a lot of room (which is one of my issues--space). My goal with them is mostly the fun of it. I just do it as a hobby. But I also like using them to help educate others, as my state isn't very herp-friendly. But me and others like me in my state are hoping to change that.

11. Kinda got another one- any single ladies, how do you break the news to potential b/f's?
Already married when I started buying them.

12. How do your friends view your hobby / deal with your obsession?
Back nearly 10 years ago when I got into them, I got many strange looks when I told people I kept ball pythons. However, times are changing, and I have more and more people now who are actually interested in them, and ask questions about them (and yes, I get the "do snakes really unhinge their jaws?" question almost every time). Most still say that they don't want one as a pet, but that they're aren't "scared" of them either--just find some things about them interesting. As for them dealing with my obsession, most people figure out pretty quickly when they meet me that snakes are a major part of my life, so it's just a part of me. If they don't like them, then I'm not going to force them to hang out with me, but I'm not giving up my snakes either. There was one guy I knew that was absolutely terrified of them--and I mean freeze-up-completely-still-and-be-ready-to-upchuck kind of scared. He'd still hang out with the hubby and myself, and he was OK with it as long as the snakes stayed in their cages.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #112
DeeRa
Ball Pythons

I have always been a animal lover of any kind and finally one day curiosity got the best of me and I bought my first normal BP. Been hooked ever since.

It's a teamwork effort between me and my husband...

4. How tall are you?
5'4"

I've had the big snakes and honestly I like not having the big issues that go along with them. Also I feel safer with my curious 3 year old and BPs verse my curious 3 year old and a retic. (:

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?
Nah

15-26

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW??
I havn't had this issue thank goodness..

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass?
It will all go to the hubby

Manageable size and they don't need alot of space. I just have them to enjoy (:

11. Kinda got another one- any single ladies, how do you break the news to potential b/f's?
"so...btw I have 20 snakes.."
lol

Some people think I'm crazy (mostly my family) and co-workers do the same. I normally get "omg you have what?! How do you sleep at night??" and stuff like that. People who actually come to the house and see them realize they are not that bad and some are actually interested in them. I've actually had a friend or two go buy BPs after learning about them.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:03 AM   #113
Shenzi Sixaxis
Thus far I have one corn snake that is of the classic/normal morph. I hope to expand my collection to include rosy boas, ball pythons, milk and king snakes, and perhaps one large boa or python (9ft+).

Some time ago I realized my leopard gecko was dying. Just before she died, I started doing research on snakes and decided that a corn snake, being small, having a good attitude, and coming in a huge arrange of colors, would be my first snake. I've decided that similar types of snakes fit my personality best.

Not really, but my mom doesn't mind watching me feed my corn every now and then.

4. How tall are you?
About 5ft 6in.

Mostly my age. I can't get a job quite yet, so I needed to choose a snake that didn't get very big and need a very big (and expensive) cage or diet.

No.

15-25
Just turned 15 a few months ago.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #114
pitbulllady
1. What type of snake(s) do you own? I keep many species of native SC Colubrids, specializing in Nerodia. I also keep and breed varous morphs of Colombian Boa Constrictor and True Red-Tailed Boas(Surinams). I own, though not currently breeding, Ball Pythons, Spotted Pythons and Jungle Carpets.

2. What sparked your interest in the particular snake(s) you own? I've always loved snakes, since I was old enough to remember. I don't even know exactly what sparked my interest in them, since that was too long ago. I guess I really fell for Boas when I was in the 2nd grade, and was in a Brownie troop, and the older brother of one of the other Brownies had a large pet Common Boa and he brought it to one of our meetings. My late grandfather bought me my first Boa, a North Brazilian Red-Tail baby which I named "Agnes", for Christmas when I was 12.

(This is NOT a married/single question! Some of us have snakes & husbands/boyfriends that want nothing to do with them!) Not a lot, no. My father had to move in with me a bit over a year ago after his house burned to the ground, and sometimes he'll help move a cage or carry snakes to the car for a reptile show, but that's about it.

4. How tall are you? I'm a mere 5' 2".

No, not really. At one point I briefly got out of large constrictors, thinking I was "too old", but found I just couldn't stand being without them, especially the Boas.

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor? I don't currently keep venomous due to my father and my brother, who has a form of Autism called Asperger's, had to move in with me. It's more for their peace of mind, actually. I don't currently keep the really huge species, like Burms or normal-sized Retics, due mostly to the lack of space and the cost of feeding.

7. What is your age group? I'm in that 41-50 age bracket, no spring chicken.
15-25
26-40
41-50
Older than that, but none of your business!
None of you're business, no matter how old I am!

If you feel so inclined, add questions of your own that you'd like answers to, from your fellow female snake-lovers![/quote]

I think to some extent that my fondness for snakes stems in part from my rebelling against my mother and HER mother, lol. They were adamant that girls were only supposed to like certain things, like dolls, and were supposed to be terrified of things like frogs, bugs and snakes. My mother was determined to turn me into a child Shirly Temple clone, and I had to be more determined that she WASN'T. I won. I've also always had a soft spot for underdogs, the Misunderstood and the Under-Appreciated of the world, and if ever there was an animal that fit that bill, it's the snake. I love Boas for many reasons, their typically-calm and mellow dispositions, their soft, silky skin, their vaguely dog-like faces, and of course, those colors and patterns. For a large pet snake, it's hard to beat a Boa.

S.A. McKenzie

Old 04-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #115
Rasja
Dumeril's Boas

I grew up with an anaconda, rattlesnakes, and 2 gators, always have loved the herps

(This is NOT a married/single question! Some of us have snakes & husbands/boyfriends that want nothing to do with them!) No, maybe years ago, but now I'm who my friends call when they have questions.

4. How tall are you?
5"2

Yes, I don't wanna take on anything too big, Prefer to stick with under 10 feet.

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor? Yes. I don't want to own anything that I couldn't handle myself. . .

7. What is your age group? 22
15-25 <--
26-40
41-50

Old 04-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #116
TailsWithScales
Oooooohhh how fun

Rattlesnakes.

I've always had a passion for the hots. Especially the elapids and crotalids. Studying and talking to venomous keepers only made it so much worse.

Nope. I am completely 100% on my own.

4. How tall are you?
5' 7"

Not in the slightest.

Not really. Was just very mindful around the bigguns because I was alone and kept 'things' close should I ever need them.

26-40 (I'm 33)

Shamefully I must admit yes to this question. I've more then once chosen my reptiles over a man. Even ending a couple relationships.

Yep. My family has extremely strict - written instructions on this. It's even notarized.

They are my passion and in my blood so to speak. I could not every imagine my life without a reptile in it, especially a monitor. My goal is just to enjoy them fully and completely.

I feel I'm a master at the art of this. It's always been scary but have had the attitude "To love me is to love my reptiles". I would always break it to them gently and slowly and if they react badly then it's buh-bye.

I can't say as though I can answer this question fully simply because I don't fully know. Most are very happy and enjoy seeing them. Others would swear I was crazy but love me anyway. My parents are honestly the most comical about it as they have the best comments and shock and awe when something new is shown off or there are recent photos.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:52 AM   #117
boalove
Wink

Ball's and Boa's

My fiance' and I purchased eachother a Ball for our one-year anniversary just for fun out of impulse

My fiance' and I work with our own snakes, but we help equally with husbandry and whatnot.

4. How tall are you?
5'9"

I am a tiny 115lb 5'9er

I like Bally's cause there cute, fat and lazy. I like Boa's because they are beautiful, long and confident! So...No.

19 in two months

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship?
Nope. Made my fiance' and I have a stronger one. Mostly everyone is fasinated.

They would stay in the family, if not with my fiance'.

With Ball's I am just interested mainly on Pied's, Blue Eyed Lucy's and Woma Lesser's not really for breeding but more as pets. But, Boa's are a whole 'nother book

Not single. If I were, it'd be the first thing to mention.

Most my girlsfriends hate them. I have made my family like, if not love them. But, my boss is the worst. He likes to pick on me calling me the future 'little old cat lady' but with snakes,

Old 04-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #118
ceduke
Currently a corn, a western hognose, and an eastern Indigo.

I worked in a store awhile ago where a man brought in a hognose he had found abandoned in a tank on the side of the road, and I was smitten. Picked up my gal a few weeks later. My corn i picked up after I visited Carol Huddleston's place and saw his father. Talk about eye-popping! I had to have one of the little ones after that. The Indigo...I held one at a show about ten years ago and never looked back. I've been obsessed since that day.

No. My husband caught a little cali king I had who escaped once, but that's it.

4. How tall are you?
5'6"

Not at all. I've fostered some snakes that were probably too big for me to reasonably handle alone, but I'd do it again if need be.

I guess...I intended to keep my last boa foster, but he was so nasty that I was afraid of him and found him a MUCH more experienced home

26-40 (I'm 25)

Ruined? No. Grandma in law hates snakes and therefore hasn't been to our place since we moved closer to her. But...she's a very frustrating person and I'm gonna call that a bonus, since it means we only have to deal with her on OUR terms.

Not officially, but my sister in law would help find homes for them (and probably keep the corn)

Manageable size, and they don't require a lot of room (which is one of my issues--space). My goal with them is mostly the fun of it. I just do it as a hobby. But I also like using them to help educate others, as my state isn't very herp-friendly. But me and others like me in my state are hoping to change that.

I was in vet tech school when I met the hubby, so he got to hear ALLLLL about all of my pets long before we started dating.

Nearly all of my friends are either in the veterinary field or deep into animal rescue. My best friend had 8 chinchillas. I don't have any friends who are repulsed by reptiles, I think mostly because I met most of them in tech school.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #119
bloodybaroness
4 corn snakes and 3 ball pythons.

I've always loved reptiles and have kept them since I was little.

Nope, my mom like to visit them. She calls them her "grand-snakes."

4. How tall are you?
5 feet

Nope.

Nope, if some one attacks me I'll just shoot them. The snakes can watch if they want.

26-40

Old 04-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #120
bloodybaroness
Crap I missed some.

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship?
Never. If the guys don't like the snakes the guy gets the boot.

Sort of. I need to update it.

I keep corns and balls because I love the morphs they come in. My goals are to eventually start breeding my favorite morphs.

It's kind of in the opening discussion of "about me stuff." The snakes are part of my life and they are going to stay a part of my life.

They did not get it at first since snakes are not like dogs, then over time then saw how awesome they are.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!