UPS, FedEx, Airborne Express, USPS - bad guys. - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-12-2004, 06:46 PM   #121
Vince
I recently was supposed to have some leopard geckos shippd but ups opeand the package. I never new shipping geckos wasnt aloud . since every time ive got some shppied to me they came ups I dont know if you guys already talked about this but whats there terms for opeaning and searching packages? i meen is it just when the packing guy has a hunch and suspects something is up. can they right away tare opean a package do they have to get the senders permission? or can you drop off a package just to have it riped opean and have the geckos stuck in limbo some place on a truck or wearhouse. usps riped opean a package conating a incubator that i had sent out. they thought there where tarantulas in there . i bet they felt like idiots when it was just a incubator.

Old 02-12-2004, 06:51 PM   #122
Mickey_TLK
They can open packages at any point in transit. You are also correct they could in theory open them say mid way through shipment, however that is highly unlikely. Generally they will either open or refuse the package when its dropped off, or tear into it later when they get a minute.

Mickey Hinkle
The Lizard King Reptiles

Old 02-12-2004, 07:10 PM   #123
The BoidSmith
Maybe not all the stations but I would bet the most important ones have a scanning device (like in the airports) to check the contents of a "suspicious" package without getting into the trouble of opening it.

Packages which are not very well taped or labeled, or those where recycled boxes have been used, are the ones targeted first. This was posted sometime ago when speaking about the new security measures.

Kindly.

Old 02-12-2004, 07:12 PM   #124
Vince
come to think of it , the incubator was shipped in a older box. again i dont know if this was answerd already but can you get in legal trouble for shipping lizards ups with out the proper paper work.

Old 02-12-2004, 07:18 PM   #125
The BoidSmith
Quote:
again i dont know if this was answerd already but can you get in legal trouble for shipping lizards ups with out the proper paper work.
In reality I think you are violating the company policies. It is doubtful you will get in legal trouble because of violating the Laey Act if you were shipping leopard geckos without disclosing the species in the label of the package. You will probably have to run into a Fish and Wildlife officer having a bad day! Besides even if UPS will not ship them shipping lizards and baby caimans (under certain size) with the USPS is allowed.

Old 02-12-2004, 07:20 PM   #126
Vince
cool, thanks a lot for the info.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:39 PM   #127
Pennebaker
I will be contacting fedex as soon as I get the key to my mailbox at our new place. If they allow me to ship snakes, I will be calling my UPS rep who loves us and see how much he loves us

Meanwhile, I got a call today from DHL/airborne. I used to be an airborne customer until the thread I think started by Ken Foose or Elite (sorry, cannot remember) where they were starting to stop live animal shipments. Well, a DHL rep left a message saying how they miss us and have just "changed their policies to accomodate our needs" and to please call them. I will be calling them tomorrow and see exactly what that means (snakes?).

I'll let everyone know what they say.

Dana

Old 02-12-2004, 08:40 PM   #128
Pennebaker
Big oops--I meant to say the thread started by Ken Foose or Extreme reptiles (not Elite).
dana

Old 02-12-2004, 09:29 PM   #129
WebSlave
Well, this certainly would be good news to hear that Airborne/DHL might be on our side as well. Please let us know as soon as you find out something, Dana. I would feel MUCH better with more options for shipping.

Sometimes if one company has you over the barrel, it gives you absolutely no leverage for negotiations if problems crop up. And we all know that Murphy's Law is looking over our shoulders on this.

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2004, 10:37 PM   #130
Double "D" Reptiles
Thumbs up process started

Well, I've been sick with sinus problems, but sat here and just completed setting up an account online. Next thing will be to start the phone calls tomorrow and get the ball rolling. Glad to see others doing the same thing and will use advice given and post here as to progress made.

Mickey, just a quick word to say how glad I am to see you back. Hope all is well up your way. Waiting to see something in the website department soon. Guess I'll have to call you one of these days soon and see what you've got happening. Sick now that we didn't jump on the Nigerian Red Uros a couple of years ago when you had them. Could have sold a bunch last weekend in Ft. Smith, Ark. Guess that's the "price we pay" for hesitating.

Rich, glad to see you on the front line on this issue.

David Jobes
Double "D" Reptiles
Stigler, OK

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!