QUESTIONS FOR THE FEMALE SNAKE-OWNERS - Page 14 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #131
silverherps
1. What type of snake(s) do you own? Corns.

2. What sparked your interest in the particular snake(s) you own? I just thought they were beautiful little snakes.

3. Do you have help with your snake(s)?
(This is NOT a married/single question! Some of us have snakes & husbands/boyfriends that want nothing to do with them!) A bit from my husband, but our reptiles are mainly cared for by me.

4. How tall are you? Close to 5'4

5. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your size/age? Nope.

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor? Nope.

7. What is your age group?
15-25

Old 07-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #132
silverherps
Didn't see the rest of the questions!

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW?? For the most part my family and friends are very understanding.

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass?
My husband will take them if I pass.

10. Why do you keep the species you work with? What are your goals with them?
They're just really lovely snakes and I love how full of energy these guys are! I don't have any breeding goals for the corns yet.

12. How do your friends view your hobby / deal with your obsession?
Some are interested by them, others not so much.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #133
ggs209
1. What type of snake(s) do you own?
Columbian Boa, Kenyan Sand Boa, Brazilian Rainbow boa

2. What sparked your interest in the particular snake(s) you own?
I am Allergic to all things with fur. And there personality is better than most humans. lol

(This is NOT a married/single question! Some of us have snakes & husbands/boyfriends that want nothing to do with them!)

4. How tall are you? 6 foot 3 inches flat footed

5. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your size/age?
I do not think so.

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?
Oh lord no I have both a security system in my house and a 6 foot 9 inch 300 lbs husband so I think it is more for my amusement

15-25
26-40 I pick this one
41-50

Do I have an If I die list?

I have it stated in my will on who will get what animal.

I do not have a friend or family member that is scared to come in my house.... a couple of my co workers are not going to join me for dinner. But it has not stopped my family or friends

Old 07-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #134
Dawn Zimmerman
1.0 Cave Dwelling Ratsnake (asian beauty snake)

They are gorgeous: great colors and patterns, slim bodies, and long.

Not really. My husband will take me to get stuff for him or to the vet, etc. I can't drive these days due to dizziness. He has no interest in even touching my snake, but he does check up on him and watch him.

4. How tall are you?
5' 6.5"

Not size or age. I did want a lightweight snake as I have health crap that I deal with that just works better with a lighter snake.

6. Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?
Sorta. I started looking at snakes that were easier to handle and not heavy so that they would not endanger the cat, future kids or us. Once I saw the Asian beauty snakes I fell in love and that was it.

I'm 36

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW??
Each time I had brought up getting a snake over the past 5 or so years my husband had a reason why I shouldn't. This last time when he realized I had made up my mind and that was it at first he was seriously pissed, but after a lot of talking, my sharing a lot of interesting and fun info about the snakes I was considering and just time he came around for the most part. Not sure if my in laws know yet...

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass ?
No, good idea.

Asian beauty snakes are beautiful, curious snakes with personality!

11. How do you break the news to future b/fs?
I'm married.

They kinda freaked when I told them I was getting a snake, but now that they've met him they are pretty relaxed. 2 of my best friends won't hold him, but they will be in the same room on furniture (bed) while he tools around my room and they are cool with their kids being on the floor with him and one friend lets her oldest hold him. One of my best friends adores him! Even my mom commented on what beautiful markings he has and she doesn't like snakes.

13. How long/from what age have you kept snakes?
I just got Riley almost 6 weeks ago. I had lizards many many years ago, but this is my first snake!

***Riley has made a great impression on the ladies who attend my summer bible study and folks at my small church. The ladies at the study all look at him and some have questions. They have even prayed for Riley when he was being shipped and now that he is sick. Two of the ladies had thought they would never pray for a snake. lol Some of the elderly ladies at church have asked me how he's doing. I may be showing him at the kid's second hour on Sunday when Riley is feeling better as I have a bible lesson prepared that uses the snake as an object lesson. Thought you all might find it interesting how my slinky scaley dude is an ambassador for snakes and reptiles everywhere.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #135
Dawn Zimmerman
I meant a Sunday some time in the future when Riley is all better and settled in.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #136
Ectothermicfauna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post

(This is NOT a married/single question! Some of us have snakes & husbands/boyfriends that want nothing to do with them!)

4. How tall are you?

15-25
26-40
41-50
Older than that, but none of your business!
None of you're business, no matter how old I am!

If you feel so inclined, add questions of your own that you'd like answers to, from your fellow female snake-lovers!
My name is April. I live in Kenai, Alaska and I have a beautiful daughter Raven. I run a reptile halfway house, and exhibit, as well as own a large personal collection. I founded the only herp society in the state that im aware of. I worked as a snakekeeper for the reptile zoo in Monroe Washington, and halfway housed reptiles including hots there as well. As for as my age is concerned, A gentlemen never asks a lady never tells.

Heres a run down on what is in my/our personal collection, as of today more is always on the way, and these are just the snakes we have lots of lizards (i love monitors), arachnids etc:

female Green anaconda
female african rock python
1.1 reticulated python, female is normal, male is a (selayer) tiger
1.1 super dwarf retics (normal)
1.1 burmese python, female normal male albino
1.1 columbian boa female pastel, male normal
0.2 bredli carpet python
0.1 jungle carpet
0.1 coastal carpet
1.4 ball pythons
0.1 Blood python
1.2.4 House snake (dotted and purple phase brown)
1.1 Eastern blue garter
0.1 cal king (banded hwy locale)
0.1 corn snake

Im sure im missin some but thats off the top of my head by the end of the week we will have another burm, a savu python, and an amazon tree boa too. Looking to get a pair yellow annies, woma python, a purple albino retic (male) and a whole lot more colubrids. but its always changing up around here.

What sparked your interest in the particular snake(s) you own?

They're all beautiful amazing and dare I say graceful? creatures. Snakes are evolutions perfect predators, and I'd say ive always had a deep respect for all snakes.

Do you have help with your snake(s)?

Obviously with the large constrictors yes. I dont have the muscle to haul them by myself and frankly you'd be an idiot not to have someone else at least around to help. my smaller snakes I take care of by myself though.

How tall are you?

Im 5 foot 6" 130lbs. And I can lift a 12 foot burm onto my shoulders. very difficult.

Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your size/age?

Absolutely not. I know how to respect my larger snakes and I do not fear them but I do have a healthy respect. I think worrying about the size of the person is a bit silly if you know what you are doing and have enough keepers around to help.

Does your choice of snake have anything to do with your security/safety factor?

well no. we have the largest species in the world, so I cant say that at all. I know how to secure tanks, feed appropriately, read snake body language, and Ive taken a few bites and learned from them, so im comfortable that Ive figured out how not to get bit. Experience, research, a lot of money, and common sense is all you really need. thats all lol.

I guess what id like to ask is, for all you snake-keeping mothers- has becoming a mother affected your snakekeeping, and does your snakekeeping effect your motherhood? I think they do actually effect each other in interesting ways.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #137
pouchedrat

male/female pair of southern ring neck snakes
3 female egg-eater snakes (D. medici medici)

They don't eat rodents, since I've been keeping pet rats for 16 years, and have LOVED snakes all my life, but the commonly kept snakes in the hobby are primarily rodent eaters (corns, balls, etc). I'm considering getting into garter snakes, and I hope to get some blind snakes and shovelnose snakes as well.

No, my man is terrified of all snakes! He's actually scared stiff of them, it's a deep fear since his childhood! However, he's good enough to let me keep the snakes in the bedroom, NEXT TO THE BED! He's ok with the egg-eaters, they don't frighten him at all. The ring necks, however, are wirey and fast enough to make him jump and cringe. My son is 4 years old, but he will help get quail eggs out of the fridge for me every so often.

4. How tall are you?

5'5

No

Somewhat, I have a small 4 year old, as well as am pregnant. It's more of a "don't want frozen rodents" issue. I do also have over 40 tarantulas including some old worlds, so honestly they would probably cause more harm to a child if unleashed than a snake. I'd LOVE a green tree python someday, but I just don't think it'll ever happen.

26-40 -smack in the middle of here.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #138
pouchedrat
Didn't see the rest of the questions...

8. How many of you have had your love of the scaley ones ruin a relationship ?? Friend? Lover?? IN LAW??

He's understanding. Plus whenever I spend money on something like a new tarantula or snake, he gets to spend money on a new game (and I get to play his game, lol). However, my parents think the snakes are going to get out and kill my kid. Which is funny, since the egg-eaters have no teeth and are only 2 feet long, and the ring necks are about 10 inches long!

9. Do you have an "if I die" list, of who gets, or what to do with the "collection" once you pass ?

I wish I did, i also have a lot of bizarre exotic mammals and I can't think of a single person I would trust with their care.

I hope someday more captive bred egg-eaters are found in the hobby. They're so much easier for those of us who love our furry friends, but also love the scalies

no need for that.

They don't talk about it....

I had a couple snakes growing up, but nothing major, just a rough green snake and a northern red bellied. I got back into snakes recently when I saw an ad for an egg-eater on kingsnake.com... I figured hey, I already jumped into tarantulas, why not snakes as well??

Old 07-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #139
radiotrash
A caramel motley corn snake and a pinstripe ball python.

I visited a friend and got to meet her snakes. The rest is history.

Nope, I'm single. My friends watch my snakes if I got out of town but so far I've only been out for a four days each time so they don't do much but much sure they're ok.

4. How tall are you?
6'7"

Not really. I just thought they were interesting, especially after my friend talked to me about hers all the time.

Nope.

I'm 25.

Nope. My ex didn't want me to get one but when I did he was actually interested in it a bit.

No, but I think my snake friend and I have an unspoken understanding that she would.

I got a cornsnake at first because I know they were considered more of a beginner snake and that they wouldn't grow too big. I got a ball after seeing my friends and how delightfully fatty they are.

They're just another pet to me, like a dog or a cat. I'll break the news by bringing them over to my apartment and they can just see the snakes for themselves.

I think they think I'm weird but whatever. They always want to know what you "do" with a snake.

I've only been a snake owner for about a year.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #140
AK907
I'm using my husbands account...

1 ball python, 1 amel corn snake, 1 nigerian uromastyx, 6 rats

My husband has an addiction, so it rubbed off on me...

Refer to above...

4. How tall are you?
5' 3"

Bigger ones just scare me. 12 feet and under is fine.

Yeah, kinda...

What is your age group?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!