One More Reason to Test for Adenovirus - Page 15 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #141
walker75
Vicki

I also would like to include in this all the sales of breeders online they should not be left out..

Some sent dragons nowhere close to what the person thought they where going to buy. Also sick also testing positive. With many problems, not just with andeo, kinks, twitches and on and on many things not just andeo.

Also alot of others have tested positive now from online breeders... Also the general public.

No one knows as you say they can be breed and be fine with Andeovirus.

So I thank all the people who have stated that they have tested positive dragons and listed the parents of the dragons.. This way maybe we can as a whole community get a handle on this and Learn.

Fear as you say ... Is that some .... I think many, may have a positive dragon and paid lots of money for it without a Clue knowing they have this so called Andeovirus gene is in them.

So once again TEST and POST so we can get a handle on this and Learn

Knowledge is key

while being very helpful to everyone

Old 02-02-2007, 09:21 AM   #142
walker75
I also want to include on line breeders ,,... I posted and well have no idea what happened to it..

People pay good money and lots of it for some dragons by breeders..

So they may not know there dragons has this so so called prevalent adenovirus gene in there dragons.

They may have not been told as other are now testing positive.

I still believe testing needs to be done and all facts names and lines should come out.

Some people have already done this .. I hope they continue to test and post

Knowledge is key in getting a handle on this instead of keeping it Silent

Old 02-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #143
maul99
I have been reading all the post on different forums and I must admit I am tired of hearing about it. All anyone is doing is finger pointing and trying to lay blame. ITS TOO LATE FOR THAT. Why is no one trying to raise money for research?? If someone wants to make a differance this is how to do it. Adeno is here and now we need to deal with it, its does not matter where it stated.

I have been doing my own research on adeno. i have talked to the Dr. and Proffesor doing some research as well as some of the breeders that have been infected. I have also talked with those that are doing the testing to see if one test is better than the other. After talking to all these people teh one thing I have learned is no one really knows anything about adeno. Money is needed for research and its simply not there.

As for Josh at PD, I know many don't agree with his methods to develop the line he has. All I have to say about that is, yes it might be wrong, but all morphs started this way. At least he was honest with the info he released about the development of translucents. You guys have to admit that that was a risky move. All he did is what many of you are asking for..........breeders to tell the truth. All he got for that was hung out to dry. No one has given him credit for at least being honest. And some wonder why other breeders wont share info.

As for me I am lucky. I am a small hobby breeder, this is not my income. If I don't sell dragons my family does not go hungry. Sadly this does not apply to everyone. I hope everyone will do what is right for the dragons. I am sending in my test on Monday and have decided that if my breeders are infected I will stop breeding and just try to provide the best life for my dragons as long as they live.

I know everyone is upset about how the trans started. Please understand I disagree with it too. Too many dragons were killed for profit. But how is that different from all the people that are now putting down dragons that apper healthy, and showed no signs of being sick, they just tested positive. In my book killing a dragon is killing a dragon. If its sick and having a poor condition of life by all means put it down. But I know of some that are just putting down anything that test postive and to me that is just wrong. If the dragon is healthy and active why not keep it seperate and do your best to stop cross contamination, why kill it. Would you kill you child if it came down with virus (say HIV)..........heck NO.....you would try and provide the best quality of life for them.

I just had to add my two cents. It kills me to see that dragon community split and at each other throats. We have all got to work together if we are going to try and learn how to prevent this virus. All I know for sure is that no one has a good grip on this. Is there one strain or two becasue it seems so deadly is some and shows no signs in others. All I know is that as a whole we need to stop finger pointing and laying blame and try to wrok together to learn and RAISE MONEY to help fund research.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #144
whiskersmom
Quote:
It kills me to see that dragon community split and at each other throats. We have all got to work together if we are going to try and learn how to prevent this virus. All I know for sure is that no one has a good grip on this. Is there one strain or two becasue it seems so deadly is some and shows no signs in others. All I know is that as a whole we need to stop finger pointing and laying blame and try to wrok together to learn and RAISE MONEY to help fund research.
I agree 100% but how can you get some people to agree that testing needs to be done.....that only testing, at this point, is what will contain this virus.

Also, I would gladly donate money for research.....maybe you could start something????

Old 02-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #145
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachiu
With the adenovirus testing positive in so many collections now - it has been asked before “where are all of the reports of dead dragons?” Sadly, the only reports of deaths we have received with this last influx of positive results are the ones that people are putting down out of fear of transmission. HEALTHY animals have been put down out of fear.

Saladragon - Care to elaborate on the advise you were given by Dr. Wentz regarding euthanizing positive animals? If my memory serves correctly you stated on the phone to us “The f****** crack-head” said to “whack them, but not too hard…” Want to finish this sentence?
No, I really don't care to finish that sentence, as I was quite disgusted by it. At that time, I was in denial and scared to death of what could be going on with these babies. The thought of having to "whack" them to prep them for necropsy did not sit well with me. Regardless of their issues, these were babies I loved and cared for just like all the other babies we've had.

That being said, that's why it's so important to do your research, ask your questions, and come to your own conclusions. After doing the research, hearing the research others had done, as well as the advice by Dr. Jacobson, we decided testing was right for us to do.

No, we did NOT euthanize any healthy animals, or Adenovirus positive animals for that matter. But we did have what I consider to be a substantial die-off rate with this batch of babies. I lost count at 9, simply because I was...well, pretty freaked out by it all. We had not had issues with die-offs prior to this, and I thought it important to search out whatever answers I could find. For us, testing for Adenovirus was part of that.

I can see what Vickie is saying, to an extent. Research, research, research. Gather all the information you can, all the opinions you can, and then form your own opinion on how to handle your own personal situation. However, I personally think it's best to be cautious until those answers are found.

What I do not agree with is that ANY breeder should be "let off the hook", so to speak, simply because testing would cost such a large amount of money for them. Testing also caused us financial hardship, but to me, was well worth it to have the answers. The testing should be considered one of the costs of doing business. We house them properly to get them ready for a new home...and that costs money. We feed them properly to get them ready for a new home...and that costs a fortune. They should also be tested to ensure they're healthy enough for a new home.

In my OPINION, something that kills babies...be it parasites or Adenovirus, is something that should be tested for. Breeders offer all kinds of health guarantees on their animals. All kinds of things are assumed to be included in that health guarantee, such as good eating response and lack of parasites. If we know this Adenovirus is killing babies, why would lack of the virus not be part of what breeders are guaranteeing?

Old 02-02-2007, 11:40 AM   #146
whiskersmom
Quote:
What I do not agree with is that ANY breeder should be "let off the hook", so to speak, simply because testing would cost such a large amount of money for them. Testing also caused us financial hardship, but to me, was well worth it to have the answers. The testing should be considered one of the costs of doing business. We house them properly to get them ready for a new home...and that costs money. We feed them properly to get them ready for a new home...and that costs a fortune. They should also be tested to ensure they're healthy enough for a new home.
Quote:
In my OPINION, something that kills babies...be it parasites or Adenovirus, is something that should be tested for. Breeders offer all kinds of health guarantees on their animals. All kinds of things are assumed to be included in that health guarantee, such as good eating response and lack of parasites. If we know this Adenovirus is killing babies, why would lack of the virus not be part of what breeders are guaranteeing?
Perfectly said......Thank you.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #147
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladragon
To expand on that OPINION: Shouldn't something that causes what's in the following picture be researched, and answers sought out?

These are two babies that both hatched on October 31st. Two siblings to both of these babies test positive. Both siblings have been offered the same husbandry. The picture says it all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Itty Bitty & Sis1.jpg (18.9 KB, 103 views)

Old 02-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #148
trapieter
you're saying these are the same age?
I think alot of research needs to be done generally on all areas of adeno, but I would say this takes money right?
well I'm a consumer, I buy beardies (ok I have two but I plan to buy another one at some point and I want a morph) and I care about this situation. From what I've seen in writing on other sites other owners (not just breeders ) care about the adeno problem and want honesty and research too. if we all want it then why can't we promote funding? ok. it was suggested a fee towards testing be placed on the sales of beardies from breeders to enable them to do it, how much would have to be put on top to donate some towards research? (without being negative) I'm sure some industries would get on side too, repcal, t-rex... how many companies for beardies are out there? if adeno isn't addressed they'll go down too. just a thought but I'm an optimist

keep being honest, lets see how far this has spread and what the damage is, lets see what there is to control because then we can address it properly. how can anyone ask for help if they can't say how much help they even need? And if you stay in the dark and try and cope on your own ... well this is too big, it'll weigh you down, so many people are here to help so turn the light on and say hello xxxx

ps please don't punish me lol

Old 02-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #149
shinkster
that picture definitely illustrates the point that a picture says a thousand words.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #150
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapieter
you're saying these are the same age?
Yes, they were hatched within hours of each other on October 31st, 2006. There are two tiny ones like that...then big ones like the big one in the picture. There are also ones in between that size, about 6" long, that were hatched either that same day, or the following day.

The two super tiny ones (as well as the three smalls, and the one large) are staying right here with me forever.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!