My friends BP needs HELP!?! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
deborahbroadus
That looks like a burn on top of the head. I would cut out the overhead light, because with the UTH attached to the thermometer, the overhead light is sort of overkill (this should reduce your electric bill, too)

Otherwise, what the others said...that top of the head is going to be a bit of a while before it starts shedding smooth because of the deep indentation.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallenfl View Post
Use a few drops organic vitamin E oil in warm water this will help much more than just the warm water. Remember just a drop or 2. To much can do harm if the ball soaks up to much causing tender skin. This should also only be done where in this case it is needed. Just monitor the soak and insure everything is okay.

Peace, J
Snakes do not need oil in water to help them shed, imo that is overkill and can have a negative reaction on further sheddings for a while. Plain water is best.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #13
Casey Hulse
Use just the undertank heat, adjust to no more than 92 on the glass, the bedding should be about 90. Cover 3/4 of the screen top with some type of plastic to increase the humidity. Next shed make sure the eyecaps come off with the shed.
Quote:
another good idea is to create a humidity chamber out of a tupperwhare container and spagnum moss. put hole big enough in one end for snake to come and go as he pleases put wet spagnum inside set over heat pad.
This works well also.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
Jerry_c_62
I haven't heard of the oil thing before, so I really have no comment on that. It may work it may not.

The other advice so far is in line with standard practice. For myself, I use humid hides. I put one, sphagnum moss is my choice, in with each animal. I have had some sheds that didn't come off clean, not many. But never have had a single stuck eye cap in the time I have been keeping ball pythons.

I just saw someone use a moist snake bag and let them climb around inside. I thought it seemed like a great idea. If I ever need to I will most likely try that.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry_c_62 View Post
I haven't heard of the oil thing before, so I really have no comment on that. It may work it may not.

The other advice so far is in line with standard practice. For myself, I use humid hides. I put one, sphagnum moss is my choice, in with each animal. I have had some sheds that didn't come off clean, not many. But never have had a single stuck eye cap in the time I have been keeping ball pythons.

I just saw someone use a moist snake bag and let them climb around inside. I thought it seemed like a great idea. If I ever need to I will most likely try that.
It will help them shed...scale by scale and it is the nastiest mess of a snake until the shedding stops.. eeech! (yep, experience).

The snake also appears uncomfortable undergoing those kinds of sheds (imo).

Old 03-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #16
jendee
Thanks guys!!
I totally suggested the ziploc container with a small hole and moss thing, I did that for my geckos and was just guess in the dark when we trying to figure out what to do. I am awesome LOL!

And I really like the snake bag idea, that seems like it would really work. The moister plus the snake poking around trying to get out is going to naturally rub the dry skinoff, I hope the eye caps will come off too

And the injury on her head, I was a little confused about how she got this bc when she noticed the wound she was still in a sterlite tub with under belly heat, so I didnt think it could be a burn. But its not in a usual area for a rub either...

Old 03-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #17
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jendee View Post
Thanks guys!!
I totally suggested the ziploc container with a small hole and moss thing, I did that for my geckos and was just guess in the dark when we trying to figure out what to do. I am awesome LOL!

And I really like the snake bag idea, that seems like it would really work. The moister plus the snake poking around trying to get out is going to naturally rub the dry skinoff, I hope the eye caps will come off too

And the injury on her head, I was a little confused about how she got this bc when she noticed the wound she was still in a sterlite tub with under belly heat, so I didnt think it could be a burn. But its not in a usual area for a rub either...
I agree about the unusual area..what concerned me was the depth of the "rub."

It looks like a ciggy burn to me...but it couldn't possibly be.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #18
dturner100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jendee View Post
ok a few more questions for her

what is considered misting, spraying the side of the tank or actually sparying the bp/substrate?

and should the basking light be on the same side as the flexxwatt underbelly heat?
I keep all of my bp's in tubs, but I still keep a room humidifier in the room. That would be a good start for your friend. I picked mine up at wal-mart.

Also tell your friend to go ahead and spray the whole aquarium. When my bp's go into blue I mist them down sometimes twice daily.

Also please do the soaking idea. I never have shedding problems with my snakes, but often when I pick up snakes from reptile expos or whatever they'll have stuck shed, and I just soak them for an hour in a sterilite tub filled half the height of the snakes back, and place it in the rack.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:41 AM   #19
tinmantribe5
I dont mean to offend with a stupid question like this but the UNDERBELLY Heat wasnt directly in the Tub was it? I mean as far as the Burn on his Head?
It wasnt a Reptile Rock was it?

Old 03-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #20
jendee
nope, the flexxwat was set up under the tub. and the t-stat was set at 85

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!