What Kinds Of Herps? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #11
Quaint
Awww! So cute! Thank you, that is a wonderful idea c:

Old 02-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #12
SPJ
Ball pythons spend most of their lives curled up in termite mounds and tight spaces underground. They are not the type that appreciate large enclosures. They prefer tight warm areas.
Now a boa or colubrids or other pythons would definitely make use of larger spaces as well as climbing areas and I would not use the same type of tub setup for those as ball pythons.
The post was more to illustrate that some animals thrive and breed in 32 qt tubs.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #13
Quaint
I have two ball pythons that love climbing and being very active in their large enclosures. I believe in enrichment and giving my herps the best most interesting lives possible, to me keeping herps isn't about just keeping them alive and breeding.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #14
MrTPlush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaint View Post
I have two ball pythons that love climbing and being very active in their large enclosures. I believe in enrichment and giving my herps the best most interesting lives possible, to me keeping herps isn't about just keeping them alive and breeding.
And a tub in a rack system is a good life for any animal? If you truly wanted to give it the best life possible I don't think a rack system is it. Though that is just my opinion what do I know.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #15
JButera
yeah but was is the best possible life? I think the op just wants some herps that look comfortable in a 32 qt tub.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:43 PM   #16
MrTPlush
Quote:
Originally Posted by JButera View Post
yeah but was is the best possible life? I think the op just wants some herps that look comfortable in a 32 qt tub.
Yes, but he is criticizing what others are doing like a 32 qt tub is a good way to live in the first place. He says he wants his animals to live the most interesting lives possible. It seems like he wants to provide a good living space, but also stuff them in a rack system. I don't think you can have both to be honest.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:26 PM   #17
JButera
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTPlush View Post
Yes, but he is criticizing what others are doing like a 32 qt tub is a good way to live in the first place. He says he wants his animals to live the most interesting lives possible. It seems like he wants to provide a good living space, but also stuff them in a rack system. I don't think you can have both to be honest.
I see your point but he's trying to pick species that are small and terrestrial. The tubs he'll be using have a larger floor area than a 20 gallon tank. I know that's not huge but for some of the species being considered it's pretty roomy imo.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:30 AM   #18
Quaint
First of all, I'm a girl, not a he. Secondly, many species fare better in tubs than they would in a more typical terrarium. Tubs can better maintain humidity and heat. They also offer security because they are more opaque and there aren't any large open spaces. The size of my tubs has a larger floor space than a 20 gallon tank and for many small species (ie what I was asking about) any larger space may actually be detrimental. When there is too large of an area, some snakes may be to nervous to cross areas to get to the correct temp/humidity to properly thermoregulate, so a moderate sized enclosure is safer for them.

I made it very clear that I am not criticizing or judging those with different opinions on husbandry requirements, I just hold myself to a greater standard because I have the means to do so and am not operating a business. My snakes are my pets, so I personally prefer to go above and beyond. I also find that bigger cages with more enrichment lead to more docile and handleable snakes. Just because other people don't make the same choices as me does not mean that I think any less of them.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:05 AM   #19
JButera
For the record I thought you were a girl the whole time.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:06 AM   #20
Quaint
Thanks, it can seem like everybody in the herp community thinks its "guys only", lol.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!