wondering about the paypal 3% - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:11 AM   #11
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSage
If that is true regarding Visa regs, why is it that the Wisconsin DNR can charge an extra fee for purchasing a fishing license w/ a credit card that they do not charge if you pay with cash? Just curious... I really don't know the answer. (that and I'm a little miffed at the DNR lately.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@TSE
That I don't know, perhaps state agencies are given an exemption to the rule?????
Here if I want to pay a water bill it is actually processed by a third party. They charge a fee and pass the full amount of the bill to the municipality involved. The company is "Official Payments Corp" (https://www.officialpayments.com) and they accept payments for many governemt agencies, including the IRS. They charge $4.95 per transaction up to $300. If your bill is higher than that, you need to split it and pay multiple fees.

On the other hand, when I renew my motor vehicle registration online with DMV here, they accept credit cards directly on their site and there is no fee.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:40 AM   #12
Cat_72
I simply won't buy from someone who expects me to pay an extra 3%. It's just bad business.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:56 AM   #13
Matt Haines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I simply won't buy from someone who expects me to pay an extra 3%. It's just bad business.
Nor would I. Just take the 3% hit or raise the price of the animal a couple of bucks.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:03 AM   #14
DragonCharm
The price I display on my site is the price I want plus enough to cover any fees like paypal. If someone wants to p/u and pay cash I'll charge them less. Not only does cash allow me to avoid the charge but no packing up the animals and no drive to Fedex.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:07 AM   #15
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I simply won't buy from someone who expects me to pay an extra 3%.
Neither will I. I used to tell them I would pay the full price (after they had already quoted shipping so that they couldn't fudge it in there) and let them sit on the offer. Most times they took it. Now I just "walk on by".

Old 08-16-2005, 10:35 AM   #16
CJBianco
I ignore all advertisements that ask for the additional fee. It may be a legitimate business practice in the mind of the seller, but I look at it in one of two ways:

A) The seller is too stupid to figure the surcharge into the final sale price.

B) The seller is too lazy to figure the surcharge into the final sale price.

In either case, I refuse to do business with such a seller.

Chris

Old 08-16-2005, 11:14 AM   #17
Golden Gate Geckos
PayPal and credit card fees are part of the 'cost of doing business'... unfortunately. It's very easy to incorporate those costs into the price of the product, and if we are doing business legitimately they can be written off on our taxes each year.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:42 PM   #18
TripleMoonsExotic
"Personal accounts do not get charged fees when accepting payments."

That's not true...I have a personal account and I do get charged the 3% fee...

Old 08-17-2005, 02:15 AM   #19
Chris@TSE
No offense, but.... Learn how to READ

"Personal accounts do not get charged fees when accepting payments. They are basically pocketing your money under false pretense. Granted it may not be much, but its still ads up... especially for those who squeeze the most out of personal accounts for their small business. Not a HUGE deal but it still happens. Kinda similar to those who overcharge for shipping. Now, the specifics regarding personal accounts are that they accept ALL payments EXCEPT for credit card payments free of charge, so if someone uses bank funds, or their cash balance (as in most cases) they are basically sitting back and pocketing and EXTRA 3% above and beyond the total shipped price of every sale. Premier and business accounts are fee based......"

Translation for those who wish not to read or comprehend:

Personal accounts do NOT get hit by a 3% fee for accepting funds EXCEPT for credit cards. Paying 3% to a merchant account or paypal is the cost of doing business, you are paying for a luxury. You are NOT supposed to make your customer pay extra in order to take a form of their payment. Its not only insulting, but just horrid business. You know the machines and extra telephone lines and service all those retailers must rent and pay to swipe your card? Do you think they are doing that for free too? No. Every REAL business has to pay such fees. Instead of adding it on to a purchase after-the-fact they average such fees into the final cost of the product.

Simply put, alot of people have ALOT to learn about conducting good business....... lol

The second I see a seller asking for a 3% fee, I turn the other way. Even if the animal advertised is just what I may be looking for and in perfect condition. I know many who feel the same as way.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:24 AM   #20
TripleMoonsExotic
No offense, but.... Learn how to NOT BE AN ASS

I was not aware that their is a way to see how an individual is paying you. I assumed I had been receiving mixed payments and I was being charged the fee regardless. I will look more closely when I receive payments.

FYI, I am strongly opposed to those that charge the extra 3% (and I just saw an ad charging 4% - wonder what the extra 1% is for). I will not purchase from anyone that requires it.

Please do not assume anything...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!