Fla Fish And Wildlife - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:51 PM   #11
Tsutton5
good luck

Well Morti good luck and please keep us posted......
Tom Sutton

Old 08-23-2005, 09:20 PM   #12
Junkyard
Not just the issue of breeding records, but also receipts!?! I own a rescue, if I take in a reptile does this then mean I need documents of the owner turn in? How about the 21 Garter Babies that were dropped off on my wife and I by someone we never met(as far as we know). I am not saying I will sell an indiginous snake, but those could have been 21 boas left on my doorstep!

Old 08-23-2005, 09:37 PM   #13
KNOBTAIL
It is a rather frightning observation

that F/W can create such havoc at a show of the magnitude of the Daytona Show. I do know that with regard to the turtle incident, the owner of the booth was shaken up, and I felt very sorry for him being at the mercy of an idiot threatning to cite a vendor who did nothing wrong other than not having a rock for the turtle to climb on to.

These things should not be happening and F/W should be put on notice by the promoters as well as vendors that we also have rights and that unreasonable requests such as some of the nonsense that has been brought to light will be brought to court if enough complaints are made on these aggressive individual agents, then maybe some good will come out of this. But if we decide to do nothing, then they will continue, because they can get away with it. We need to know who this agent was, and we need to complain about him as strongly as we can.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:31 PM   #14
gila7150
That's just wierd.
When the officer approached my table he didn't say a word. I knew what he was there for and handed him my permit. He said "thanks Chris" and walked away. I was never asked for breeding records and if I had been I wouldn't have had any with me. (even though I personally produced everything that was on my table.)

What's even more strange is that there was less enforcement at the venomous show than the non venomous show. I observed people walking out of the venomous show with reptiles and no VR permits were checked. I waslked out of the venomous show last year with my purchases and was never checked (although I had my VR permit with me if I had been asked for it.)

I don't know if they had a legal leg to stand on with the arrests due to the permit issues but it seems very petty and an incredible waste of resources.
I usually come to FL F&W's defense because I think they are usually pretty fair but based on what I've heard so far, this just seems stupid. They definitely don't have any right to demand breeding records for captive born snakes that aren't even native to FL.

By the way Morti, your Spilotes babies were some of the coolest snakes at the show.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:24 PM   #15
Dennis1
Sounds like harassment to me
And whats with having to have a permit

Old 08-23-2005, 11:46 PM   #16
Suncoast Herpetological
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1
Sounds like harassment to me
And whats with having to have a permit
State Law Dennis...plain and simple.

Old 08-24-2005, 12:04 AM   #17
Dennis1
Dont get me started on Fla...lol
Im just curious as to what purpose does the permit have other than lining the state coffers

Old 08-24-2005, 12:10 AM   #18
The BoidSmith
Does anyone know who the person with the turtle(s) was? I have an international friend that brings adult turtles every year and I'm concerned it might have been him.

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2005, 12:57 AM   #19
Junkyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by gila7150
That's just wierd.
When the officer approached my table he didn't say a word. I knew what he was there for and handed him my permit. He said "thanks Chris" and walked away. I was never asked for breeding records and if I had been I wouldn't have had any with me. (even though I personally produced everything that was on my table.)
This is prime example of nitt-picking, if a breeder did not have a permit ready before they spoke than they open a can of whoop--- Uncle Morti had everything settled for himself, but they seemed to be after the "principal of the matter" He had no personal permit, though they were sold under the NERD name. Florida F/W, what the heck is that all about?

I would have liked to hassle them, going crazy acting like I lost my permit and just before they cuff me pull it out...scramble through all me breeding records and swear it is all in order Do you think that would get them a little upset? They might arrest and fine me because I did not have things out fast enough, I am sure that would go over real well in court

Old 08-24-2005, 01:08 AM   #20
DragonCharm
Sounds like a good time to call a good lawyer.......you need to fight this hard then sue the state. Maybe a good hit in the wallet will slow their roll a little bit.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!